mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Training on the Motif XS"

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 03:46 AM
jjaaww22
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-11-2009

I just purchased a Motif XS6 and need advice on setup, studio, training, etc. I am open to all suggestions. I made a commitment in learning to play/utilize this keyboard and need to know the best path to take. I actually gave up my golf membership for the 2009 season.

What is the best way to learn to use the Motif XS6? Consider that I have very little keyboard experience and almost need to learn from scratch. I printed out the manual and PDF files from the website to start reviewing. DVDs for the XS, keyboard, etc. Please advise.

I am setting up a small studio in my house. What active speaker arrangement would work best at a reasonable cost. I plan to purchase a larger system for gigs once I become proficient at the XS.

JW

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 07:44 AM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

Re: Training on the Motif XS *DELETED*

Post deleted by keyfax

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 08:31 AM
kevinbower1959
Total Posts:  93
Joined  04-13-2008

Re: Training on the Motif XS

Hello JW and a warm welcome.

My best advice would be to start by watching some of the excellent DVD’s available - ‘The World of Motif’ available here on the Motifmart is as good a place to start as any, as it runs through the basic operation of all the performance and recording modes in a laid-back, easy fashion.

Like any new piece of complex technology, you’ll experience a learning curve - but you should find that you’ll progress quickly because the XS is fundamentally intuitive in use, and you’ll discover so, so much by just sitting at home, messing around with it. I fully appreciate that the XS was probably a big investment for you, and your request for training maybe indicates that you need a serious injection of self-confidence, almost as though your new board represents some unfathomable piece of rocket science which needs a master’s degree to use.

It doesn’t - really it doesn’t. Plug it in, screw around, bang away on the keys, press some buttons and have some fun, first and foremost.

You’ll also discover that this forum is a great place to get help with any problems you encounter along the way - great help comes from ordinary contributors, but mostly from Yamaha’s technical support in the shape of guys like Bad_Mister - his speed and accuracy of help response is second to none, and for myself, nine months into XS ownership, he’s really helped me out on several occasions when I was really stumped.

Regarding the setup of your small studio and advice on speakers, the stereo outputs of the XS are +6dB which is more than enough to directly drive a pair of active monitors (active monitors = small studio monitors with amplifiers built-in), so that’s all you really need to begin with. I’d suggest you check out some of the smaller models from Genelec, Adam, Alesis, and Yamaha themselves, amongst others.

Best of luck and best wishes

Kevin

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 08:46 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

JW, welcome to the forum.
You already met our local Jester (delirium).

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 09:46 AM
robbie50
Total Posts:  283
Joined  09-14-2007

Hey Delirium is BACK!
Great!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 10:50 AM
synthlogic