mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "They don’t make them like this any more"

Page 1 of 2
Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 04:22 PM
The Funk Master
Total Posts:  3686
Joined  11-26-2007

Real music, real lyrics, real band, real singing, real talent.
My favorite RnB group of all time.
Enjoy the music.

Hey, I’m still trying to revamp my studio at the moment, but, listen to the lyrics of this love song...HOT DAMN this is sooo smooth..LOL click below.
Let me know if the link don’t work.
WE ALL SHOULD STRIVE TO BE THIS GOOD.

[url=http://www.imeem.com/mellafella/music/r1Nc6Vl3/earth_wind_fire_were_living_in_our_own_time]http://www.imeem.com/mellafella/music/r1Nc6Vl3/earth_wind_fire_were_living_in_our_own_time [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 07:11 PM
hncheema
Total Posts:  1470
Joined  08-27-2008

Re: They don’t make them like this any more

Smooth.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 11:54 PM
jan bruijn
Total Posts:  4952
Joined  04-30-2005

This is one of my favorite bands.

Still I think you must be able to make at least the same kind of music yourself. Singing the song is something else.

I agree, lets try to make good songs, instead of producing random loops or loops of samples, or whatever.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 12:10 AM
hncheema
Joined  08-27-2008

How can we define good music ?

I have heard people say that ACDC and METALLICA are crap of noise. I have heard head bangers say that LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA” is bull [censored].

so who sets the standards for good music ?

Maybe jazzy and romantic ballads are good for Jan, funky loopy music is good for Jerry. Major hits of USHER are just 8 or 4 measure loops, but his singing made him world famous.

Let’s just say that we try our best to make our best.

right ?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 12:39 AM
sciuriware
Total Posts:  9999
Joined  08-18-2003

On a forum like this I prefer mediocre music from you (plural) above
professional matter from any others.
Let alone the few perfect contributions from some of you.

OVERCOME YOUR INFERIORITY COMPLEXES!!!!

;JOOP!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 02:42 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Sorry to every one I might offend with my answer. It was not my intention.

Still a little bit more critisisme does not hurt any body. Finding everything fantastic does not help people, it does not help me either. If things are not good, say it. It will help us to improve ourselves.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 03:07 AM
mmusic
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  05-24-2008

Jerry, good idea. Great music.

Michael

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 03:16 AM
The Funk Master
Joined  11-26-2007

I totally agree, let’s all try to do much better this year, if you have the time it takes to really knuckle down and improve your music.

IT’S NOT JUST THE MUSIC, but also the lyrical content, which I was stressing by posting this particular song.
It does not matter what the genre of music you create, but the overal quality and structure of the music, is what’s important.
Be it loops or many sections of the song, let it show the time and efforts that you have put into the song itself, by doing so, I know this will bring out the very best in us all.

I’m still looking for a lyricist, and I’ve even worked on my singing, by realizing my vocal range, and taking that range, and improving on it, by simply staying within the confinds of it.
This year i plan on stressing this point, as I start to create again.

So let your music shine, and YES, please, find a better way to help eachother here, to improve and become much better at the music we create and post.

I am in agreeance with our brother Joop, the music here, give us all a chance to grow, for we all are ametures at what we do, so we strive to get better at the creative and preforming process.

Let us all make this year,2009, one to musically remember.

Oh, and please, let’s continue to debate on this topic.
Funny Jan, I had no idea EWF was one of your favorite groups as they are mine...way to go..LOL

Who are some of our brother’s favorite bands, singers, and songs?
Please share your ideas, I’d love to read them all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 03:31 AM
hncheema
Joined  08-27-2008

you did not offend any one jan.

I am with you 100 percent

so annoying when people post half done, 20 second intro’s and loop’s. i mean this is mo songs not [url=http://www.fresamples.com]http://www.fresamples.com. [/url] Just a few weeks back there was a theme posted from 80’s tv show.  and only about may be 15 seconds were posted.

Are we not worthy to hear the whole or your song is like a super dooper track that you are afraid it’s gonna get stolen and released.

any one can open up a midi file on XS and resample it and post it . that’s what was done with that theme basically.

sorry if i am taking this the wrong way.

YES music is not made what it used to be. absolutly right jerry.

these days videos sell. Sexy girl hot cars have taken over the true music. We don’t hear music now we watch it .

Name any one one new in the last 10 years as big as NEIL DIAMOND, KENNY ROGERS, and many big legends.

how long has it’s been since a real musician like yanii and kenny g made his/her debut album. i mean yanni and kenny g are considered new faces as far as instrumentals goes.

ok it’s going too long and not everybody gonna read it LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 04:02 AM
KyleB
Total Posts:  2722
Joined  12-03-2002

but who is the Judge and Jury here ? what is defined as a completed song ? if your song needs a singer, is it not half done ? if it’s not mixed properly, is it not half done ? if it is not quantized properly, is it not half done ? bring on Judge Mo !!

people post things to the best of their ability. some newbie may post a 20 second track to show that he is progressing. i would hope that the veterans here would cease doing that. why not limit people to post less songs per month, like 5 ?

in closing, i must say that this site has become a dumping ground for some people. the focus has shifted from “quality” to “quantity”.

anyway, where is the Mo song ? LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 04:06 AM
hncheema
Joined  08-27-2008

my all time fav’s ....

SINGER: Neil Diamond, Celine dion and Abba (yeah right Abba) LOL

SONG: Islands in the stream, Lady by kenny Rogers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 04:14 AM
The Funk Master
Joined  11-26-2007

Real music is STILL being created in the studios today.
Yes most music is not even heard, but watched, only for the half naked sexual content of the video, not the song lyrics or even the music itself.
That’s hip hop and rap, but mainly rap.
Female singers or mainly about how good they look on the camera, not how well they sing.
The more flesh she shows, the better she sounds..LOL

In the studio, there is talent being displayed however, for it takes such to create a playable loop, for that loop itself, had to be first played, before looped.
I promise you, someday, the music will return.
As a child, here in the States, it’s all about rap and loops, and nudity......
As an adult, it becomes more about the music, and meaningful lyrical content.

One matures musically as one gets older.
That is only ONE genre or style of music.
Rock and Country, and even Pop music, has to rely more on the MUSIC and LYRICS to be sold,,,yes the singer and band members,,and this is true also in R&B music as well.

Rap and most hip hop music is mainly targeted towards children, and most of them don’t even hear the music, and sometimes not even the lyrics.

I always say this, that any child can make hip hop/rap music.
Even the artists themselves had said and noted that they are selling BS, and getting paid big time doing so. LOL

No worries though, for someday it shall come to an end.
Reason I say this, is simply because the child grows old, and the music itself, is all starting to sound the same, even unto the lyrical content.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 04:18 AM
jbirdsreturn
Total Posts:  213
Joined  03-22-2004

I think what Jan is saying by “good music” is that there are differences in the way art is created.  I can go draw a picture for someone, but it will suck.  Someone who has trained in that kind of art with take an educated and thoughtful approach into how the picture is created.

I think the same applies with music.  There is a difference between just rocking something out from your soul and taking the time to then approach that idea musically, thoughtfully, and in regards to the style you want it to be.  Western, Eastern, African, etc. music all have techniques that they consider to be “good” for music and “bad” for music.  While it may seem like a bunch of “old men’s” rules, they are based on somewhat of a researched and time-tested art.

SO little things like “oh at 1:34, the piano arp clashes and creates an awkward m2 tonality with the synth arp...change something” are things that can make or break a song (sometimes).  It is very easy to tell when things are intentionally done and when all tracks are composes separately, then mushed together with no regard as to how they fit together.

Just my two bits of copper on the matter.  I’ve definitely heard from everyone here times of extreme thoughtfulness and effort in some of their songs.  Its something we can all do and strive for.  Along with leaving comments about instruments and/or mixing...leave some comments on the musical quality as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 04:50 AM
jan bruijn
Joined  04-30-2005

Yes, ABBA why not, and the Carpenters. LOL. But also:

Blood, Sweat and Tears, U2, Golden Earring and Buffy. LOL. Oh I forgot. The magnificent “ Queen” the original band.

Jan

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 04:57 AM
The Funk Master
Joined  11-26-2007

Well my favorite all time band is this one, Earth Wind and Fire.
All time favorite song, happens to be by them as well, called “SUNSHINE”
Favorite funk group is Parliment-Funkadelic-Bootsy Collins-George Clinton,,,,ALL THE SAME GROUP..LOL
That’s a long story, check the history of funk on you tube.

I’m influenced by just about anyone, including you all.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 05:18 AM
mmusic
Total Posts:  1159
Joined  05-24-2008

Hey mo brothers, let me say something too. We have on this earth much trouble: wars, hungry people, people, who are not free, people, who have not the possibility to make music, to buy an expensive equipment like Motif XS. We have a finance crisis, and no one knows, what may come.

We here have the possibility to make music. We have the equipment, some of us have not o-n-e keyboard, they have many keyboards, me included, they have their home studio. We have motifator with mo songs. We have people, who listen to our music and say something. Wow!!

Let the people make music. Let the people make the music, they are able to do. May be, some of this music is not high level, may be more quantity instead quality, but: Who of us, please say me, is able to judge, who of us is able to say, that there is a song, which was not made “with heard”?

Oh yes, there are some mo brothers, like me in last months, who post more songs as others. No one wants to kill you with this song. My intention, as an example, was all the time, to have fun and share this fun with you

m-o brothers!

This here is the chance for us all to say with music, what we feel. A 10 seconds song? Why not. A loop? Why not? If it is bull...o.k. say it, if it is great...say it. To be free, to have the possibility to speak, to have a meaning is a great luxus! Use it.

Do you think, we are able to use this forum with much fun for everybody, with a thinking that is generous. Let me say it with a great man:

“Yes we can.”

[ Ignore ]  

Page 1 of 2

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cherry Red Corvette
Next Topic:

The Path ››