mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using my MO8 as MIDI device in Ableton Live/Reason"

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 06:19 AM
mohopper
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-20-2009

Hi All, I’m completely new to the world of MIDI, etc, but I have Ableton Live and Reason 4, and I’m thinking I should be able to use my MO8 as an input device. Is this possible?

I’ve downloaded the MIDI driver and successfully installed it. I’ve got both USB and MIDI-to-USB connections for my computer, but I can’t get either software program (Live or Reason) to see or recognize the keyboard as an input device.

Thanks for any info/help/insight. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 12:55 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Using my MO8 as MIDI device in Ableton Live/Reason

Your question is really about how to configure LIVE and Reason… if you have downloaded and installed the correct USB-MIDI Driver for your computer, then you should be able to select the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver within the software.

You give us no details about your computer or the version USB-MIDI driver you installed - so we cannot get specific.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 01:46 PM
mohopper
Joined  01-20-2009

Oh, wasn’t aware those kinds of specs would be useful. The computer is a Toshiba Intel laptop running XP. I tried to use the driver for windows vista/x64, but my computer didn’t seem to recognize it. So I downloaded the driver for win 2K/xp, and that seemed to work fine, or at least the “Add Hardware” process completed successfully, then said I needed to reboot for the driver to take effect, which I did.

When I go into Live, for example, it only gives me my ASIO device as a potential MIDI input device, but it’s not a valid input device (it’s a Line 6 UX2 audio interface). It has a feature where you can manually add devices, and it asks you to press a few keys to see if it can detect it, but it doesn’t. Do I need to do something specific to tell Live to look for the actual driver, and not the keyboard?

I was talking to a friend who said maybe I needed to adjust some of the MIDI settings on my keyboard, but not sure.

Thanks for any further info. One other thing I’ve noticed is that I’m using a USB hub, and I’m wondering if it won’t work unless I’m using a primary USB port on the computer (which is problematic, because I have one port for my USB hub to also use a keyboard and mouse), and then my ASIO device is plugged into the other main USB port.

Thank you… /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 02:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

If your computer is running XP, then you should have downloaded the following driver (we are still pretty confident from your answers that you did not get the correct driver and you certainly did not install it properly).

You want to download the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver
[url=http://www.global.yamaha.com/download/usb_midi/]http://www.global.yamaha.com/download/usb_midi/ [/url]

On this page you will see the second item is the USB-MIDI Driver for XP and Windows 2000 um223xp2.zip

When you download this you need to unzip it to your desktop.
And follow the instructions for XP installation. in general you are going to unzip the “Version2.2.3” Folder to your desktop, then start your MO8 set to MIDI IN/OUT = USB; when you computer says FOUND NEW HARDWARE > you do not go to WINDOW UPDATE, and you do not take the RECOMMENDED route to let Windows search for it, you want the ADVANCED route where you BROWSE to the folder; You manually point the installation to the unzipped “Version2.2.3” Folder on your desktop and to the “Driver” folder within. This is clearly laid out in the instructions, repeated here below:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Disconnect all USB devices from the computer except for the mouse and computer keyboard.
2) Start the computer and use the “Administrator” account to log on Windows.
Close all applications and windows that are open.
3) Turn off the power of the instrument.
4) Connect the USB connector of the computer to the USB TO HOST connector of the MIDI instrument
with a standard USB cable.
If your instrument has a HOST SELECT switch, set the switch to “USB.”
note: Do not use a USB hub for connecting multiple USB devices.
5) Turn on the power of the instrument.
6) Make sure that the “Found New Hardware Wizard” window is displayed.
note: On some computers, it may take a few minutes before this screen appears.

note: When using Windows XP…
If a message appears prompting you to connect to Windows Update, select “No, not this time” and click [Next].

Check the radio button to the left of “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced).”
Click [Next].

Check “Include this location in the search” only.
Click [Browse].

8) Select the “Driver” folder from the downloaded files (on your desktop) and click [OK].

Click [Next] to start installation.

If you follow those instructions to the letter you will have properly installed the Yamaha USB-MIDI Driver

What you missed:  You did not read the instructions warning against using a hub. And we are not certain that you downloaded the correct driver as you do not mention Yamaha USB-MIDI Version 2.2.3” by name.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 02:46 PM
mohopper
Joined  01-20-2009

Bad Mister, thanks for the great reply.

Yes, that is the driver I used, and it seemed to work following the directions that you list. In fact, I think when I installed the driver, the keyboard was hooked up to a USB port, not the hub. I’m wondering if I’ll just have to not use the hub and use the laptop keyboard and mouse controls (not preferred, but I’ll do it if I have to). Instead, I’ll use the two USB ports for my ASIO audio interface, and the other for the MO8.

I’ll try doing so and let you know if Live recognizes the keyboard.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 03:34 PM
mohopper
Joined  01-20-2009

UPDATE: Still no luck, but some more info. By hooking the keyboard up to the USB port, the hardware driver install occurred again. Once again, I chose the driver in question (already on my hard drive), and it installed.

I rebooted my machine, and looked under my sound devices on the MIDI tab, and the Yamaha MIDI driver was listed. I highlighted it, and the little message said the device was installed and working properly. Then I clicked on properties, and it said the same thing. HOWEVER, it then brought up a little icon with the driver name next to it, with an expandable plus sign. I clicked the plus sign, and another little sub-icon appeared. I clicked on that, clicked properties, and it said that something about it wasn’t functioning correctly. There was a radio button with two choices, but no text next to the choices. There was a “settings” button, but when I clicked it, nothing happened. Just mentioning, though this may be typical of the driver.

Then I found the Yamaha control panel icon (blue, with a USB symbol on it). I double clicked, and it brought up the dialog box. MO8 was listed in the devices, and there were three boxes of info, one for MIDI out (pointed from the computer to the keyboard, with diagonal radio button pattern across the “1, 2, 3, 4...” matrix. Next was an arrow from MIDI in to the computer, again with the radio button matrix in a diagonal pattern. I don’t recall the third column, but I think it was something about MIDI in to MIDI out.

the MIDI thru checkbox is not clicked, and i clicked the “send all on” button after not getting any success with the device being recognized in Ableton Live.

If this all sounds OK, I wonder if I have a setting on the keyboard wrong? I have the MIDI output set to “USB”, and I changed the MIDI synch to “MIDI” instead of “internal”, though I don’t think either worked or made a difference.

In Live, the only things being recognized in the Live MIDI preferences section are my Line 6 UX2, and the computer keyboard. When I pick keyboard and type on the f, d, s, a keys, Live’s indicator light shows that it’s sensing valid MIDI input. But when I type on the MO8 keyboard, nothing.

Thanks for any additional insight, I appreciate it! Sorry for the long post…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 04:51 PM
mohopper
Joined  01-20-2009

Re: Using my MO8 as MIDI device in Ableton Live/Re

bumping, still haven’t had any success, still stuck in scenario described in last post, above.

Thanks for any info/insight!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Help with Cubase Le and Midi
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››