mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "using the usb cable to transfer midi"

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 11:48 AM
spydah
Total Posts:  18
Joined  02-06-2008

sorry for the threadbombing but i cant seem to find answers in the forum or the manual :/

i cant get the usb cable to work with midi.. just had the roland g6 and it was no problem there, i guess it should be possible to do the same with the motif?

the voice editor and all works fine its just the usb/midi that wont work for some reason.. im running cubase sx2

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 03:58 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: using the usb cable to transfer midi

A couple of questions:[list][*] Did you download and install the latest USB/MIDI driver? This is available from the Generic USB/MIDI driver download page at yamahasynth.com

[*]Did you setup the Motif ES to communicate via USB rather than MIDI. You do this by setting the MIDI IN/OUT parameter in the [UTILITY]-->[F5] MIDI-->[SF4] OTHER dialog to USB (rather than its default value of MIDI).

(Don’t forget to store this parameter change - by pressing [STORE] while still in Utility mode.[/list:u]Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brad Weber /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 05:49 AM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

thanks brad!

another issue did come up.. my crappyass soundcard wont send the usb signal from cubase to my racks.. dunno why but it doesnt work (i have the alesis fwio26)

now i have the motif controlling midi via usb,
midi in: motif
midi out: alesis
picture of cubase: [url=http://www.weinachtsmen.com/cubase.JPG]http://www.weinachtsmen.com/cubase.JPG [/url]

and i have my alesis midiout connected to my rack.. but it wont send the signal!

so is it possible to have both usb and regula midi activated on the motif? so that i can send usbmidi to cubase and regular midi to my racks?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 08:21 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

When you communicate between your computer and the Motif ES via USB you are actually setting up 8, 16-channel MIDI ports. MIDI port 1 is dedicated to communication with the Motif ES; the other ports are available for communicating with PLG cards installed in the Motif ES and additional MIDI gear connected to the Motif ES’ MIDI OUT and MIDI IN ports. So while you cannot communicate with the Motif ES’s internal tone generator and sequencer via USB and MIDI simultaneously, you can use the ES’ host USB interface to communicate with the computer and with additional MIDI gear.

For this setup, you would set the MIDI IN/OUT parameter to USB as described above. You specify which MIDI port is used to communicate to other MIDI gear (connected to the ES’s MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports) by setting the MIDI THRU parameter in the same dialog ([UTILITY]-->[F5] MIDI-->[SF4] OTHER).

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 08:40 AM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

again thanks for your time brad! i will try this

i also have a question for you in the communication forum in the Can I dump what is on a Motif Rack to a Motif thread..

i tried and dint get it to work, in the mididialog under usb there is midi thru. i can set this to 1-8, i tried to set it as 2 and use motif es 2 out in cubase.. didnt work. how should i set it up so that the motif is sending the signal out both thru the usb and the regulad midicable that is connected to my other gear?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 23, 2009 @ 01:45 AM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

wich of the 8 midiports should i select to the midimessages go thru the regular midicable to my other gear? anyone?

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ play imported drum samples in different pitch?
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››