mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "play imported drum samples in different pitch?"

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 11:45 AM
spydah
Total Posts:  18
Joined  02-06-2008

i got some kickdrums and snares i want to be able to play in different pitch.. i read a thread about saving drums from the presets to a voice and then being able to play a single drum in different pitch, i get that and it works. but when i try to do the same with the kickdrum i loaded in it doesnt work, it only plays the rootnote!

help is highly appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 09:52 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

Re: play imported drum samples in different pitch?

When you import a sample, you have to set its note range to
1-127 (A-0 to G8, all notes on the keyboard).

Load your sample.
Press INTEGRATED SAMPLING button.
Press EDIT
You should see the sample listed as a keybank. For example, if you
loaded it first, it would appear as User 001.
Press the SF button underneath PARAMETER. This will take you
to a page where you set the RANGE. Set it to “1-127”.

Now you can use the sample waveform in an element within a voice,
or as a sound on a drumkey, and you can set the pitch to whatever
you like.

Be sure to SAVE everything as an ALL file to the appropriate media before turning your Motif off.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 06:07 AM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

thanks!

i got the sample to play just as i wanted! but (as always?) another question pops up. how do i set the sample to play til the end without holding the key down?

and this save all to appropriate media.. how.. what? sorry im new to the motif es and the manual sucks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 12:24 PM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002

Samples will only play all the way til the end without holding a key down in DRUM mode.

In DRUM mode edit -

1. Press EDIT
2. Press the TRK 1 button.
3. Press the key yolu want to edit (D1, for example).
4. Press F4 (AMP).
5. Press SF3 (AEG)
6. Set Decay2 Time to “hold”.
7. Press F1 (OSC)
8. Press SF5 (OTHER)
9. Set Altmate Group to a number ("1", for example).
10. Now when you press another key assigned to that same number, the sound will stop. If you DON’T do this assignment, the sound will continue to sustain indefinitely even as you hit other keys - in other words, you won’t be able to “turn it off”.
11. STORE the edited kit to a new user drumkit location.

Now you must SAVE.

1. Insert a formatted Smart Media card in the SM card slot on the back of the Motif ES.
2. Press FILE
3. Press F2 (SAVE)
4. In the next windows, set Type to “ALL”
5. Press the cursor down button once to highlight the name area and enter a name you like (for example, “MYDRUM").
6. Press ENTER, then press YES.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 02:44 AM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

dave:

so i have to assign every key to the same number? its kind of the same with the mpc with the group off… but in the mpc the whole procedure takes 10 seconds :/

didnt get it to work either.. damn motif!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 10:45 AM
DavePolich
Joined  07-27-2002

You misunderstood what I said. The only mode you can do this in is drumkit mode. Yes, you could assign the same sample to each key in the kit, although I don’t understand why you want to do that. Are you trying to get it to play in pitches across the entire keyboard, like a normal piano or organ sound? Or is it a “piece of music” like a sample from a record that you want to use as a voice in a Performance or mix?

Anyway, in Voice Mode, you cannot get any sound to play back all the way “to the end” without holding a key down.

The Motif isn’t an MPC. The MPC isn ‘t a Motif. They are two different products aimed at different markets, with different capabilities.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 12:53 PM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

yes i converted the voice to drum.. yes i want to be able to play the drum over the keyboard in different pitch

when u mix a track with a longtail 808 kick it sounds way better if its in the same pitch as the rest of the track.. i managed to get the kick mapped out but i want it to play til the end everytime i hit a key and stop and play the new pitch if i play another key. just as you stop an open hihat with a closed in some drumpresets.

i also want to make a couple of tracks with snares that i want to play like toms from hi to low pitch.. and here i need to do the procedure all over again.. it really should be a simple way to do it but i cant find it :/

also, when i load a drum from my usbstick.. isnt it possible to store it in the motif? do i have to load my new ALL file to get that drum to work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 02:48 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

yes i converted the voice to drum.. yes i want to be able to play the drum over the keyboard in different pitch

You can tune each drum sample as you need - but drums are not normally played across the keyboard. At that point it is a normal Voice. I suggest you place the drum samples in a Drum Kit. That is where you find the drum tools for controlling percussion sounds… you can even tune the individual drums as necessary. To accomplish a RANGE of notes in a KIT you, simply, assign the same USR WAV to multiple keys and tune each individually. In a Drum Kit each KEY is a different instrument (where in a normal Voice) all keys are basically the same instrument). See below…

when u mix a track with a longtail 808 kick it sounds way better if its in the same pitch as the rest of the track.. i managed to get the kick mapped out but i want it to play til the end everytime i hit a key and stop and play the new pitch if i play another key. just as you stop an open hihat with a closed in some drumpresets.

A keyboard sound (called “normal") typically has an envelope that starts at key-on and will continue until key-off. If you let go early (before the envelope completes) the sound stops when you let go. If you hold it, the sound will continue according the AEG parameter settings (Amplitude Envelope Generator).

Drum (percussion) sounds however, cannot be held.. A drummer cannot hold a note. You give him a quarter note - they cannot hold the sound - the complete sound triggers from the single strike. So drum envelopes are different.. you want the complete sound to play from the single trigger event. This is a drum / percussion envelope and in a Motif ES Drum Kit Voice you have parameters that make this happen.

One is called “Receive Note Off”.
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select [1] to view Drum Kit KEY parameters.
Touch the KEY containing the drum parameters you wish to view.
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF5] OTHER
On this screen you will find the very important parameters for how to make your drum key behave as you wish>

When the “RcvNoteOff” parameter is set to ON the waveform assigned to the Key will behave “normally” like a keyboard sound. However, when this parameter is set to OFF, the waveform assigned to that Key will play according to the AEG parameters only.

It is usually the case that Drum Kit Keys are set to RECEIVE NOTE OFF = OFF.

The parameter that controls one KEY stopping another, like the high hat closed (F#1) stopping the high hat open (A#1), or the open triangle (A4) being stopped by the closed triangle (G#4) is called “Alternate Group”. Any sounds placed in the same “ALTERNATE GROUP” will stop any other sound in that Group…

If you look at any of the kits in the Motif ES you will see how the Hihat Closed (F#1), Hihat Pedal (G#1) and Hihat Open (A#1) are all in the same ALTERNATE GROUP so one replaces the other.

The Motif ES gives you 127 Alternate Groups (should be enough). These are very handy when assigning an audio clip that is a Drum Loop to a KEY… by placing your Loops in the same ALTERNATE GROUP hitting one stops all others… You an also program a “SILENT KEY” - basically a key with no sample assigned. This is useful to turn off any loop… the silent key is simply assigned to the same Alternate Group as the Loops and it can be used to stop playback.

As Dave described, Drum Kits make the perfect location for audio clip loops because the DECAY 2 TIME can be set to HOLD - meaning that the LOOP will play until stopped.

It is not recommended to set any other type of sample to DECAY 2 TIME = HOLD because obviously you will run yourself out of polyphony unnecessarily by applying it sound that ends naturally.

i also want to make a couple of tracks with snares that i want to play like toms from hi to low pitch.. and here i need to do the procedure all over again.. it really should be a simple way to do it but i cant find it :/

You can work with the original sample and set the original pitch and range of the sample in INTEGRATED SAMPLING > EDIT mode. The settings you make there will help you control the sample when you place it on a KEY of a drum kit.

Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING]
Press [EDIT]
Here you can find your sample Waveform 0001~1024.
Call it up and make the following settings you will need:
Press [F3] PARAM and make sure it is set so Play Mode = “oneshot”
And the Original Pitch is set properly… usually middle C works (C3) as you can then tune UP or DOWN as necessary.
Press [F4] RANGE and make sure you set the NOTE LIMIT Range to C-2 through G8. You do not want to restrict the sample to just the original pitch… you want to be able to play it and tune it differently on each key you assign it (when you get to the kit… so set the RANGE to the full MIDI range.

Now when you place this Waveform on the KEY of your Drum kit you can assign it to as many keys as you want - and tune each one differently - While Editing your DRUM KIT VOICE > KEY
Press [F2] PITCH
Press [SF1] TUNE
... easy!

also, when i load a drum from my usbstick.. isnt it possible to store it in the motif? do i have to load my new ALL file to get that drum to work?

Samples are not “stored” in the Motif ES, they are loaded to volatile RAM. This means when you power down they disappear - that is the nature of samplers and samples. You can, if you have saved to an ALL data file (.W7A) load any individual sample when you require it.

If you are worried about having to load it each time, then create an AUTO LOAD file that will automatically load your data when you turn the power on. Just like your computer’s desktop photo, anti-virus programs, etc., etc. are set to automatically load when you power up your computer… you can teach your ES to load your favorite stuff when you turn it on. See AUTOLOAD in the manual.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 01:57 AM
spydah
Joined  02-06-2008

bas mister u rule.. thanks for the detailed answer! i will give it all a try now

if u have time i have a question about saving dumped voices in the voice editor in the programming forum in the “Can I dump what is on a Motif Rack to a Motif ES? “ thread

i need to get my voices over from my motif rack to my es but i dont understand how im supposed to save em down to the computer from the voiceeditor ;/

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ ouput problems
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››