mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Hello… Need help with mLan latency issue.."

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 03:17 AM
MrFooBar
Total Posts:  6
Joined  01-14-2009

Hello everyone,

I am new to home recording and this is my first post on this forum. I’ve been chewing on this problem for a few days now, without a lot of progress, so I’m hoping someone here can help.

My Equipment:
-------------
* Casio Privia PX-100 (MIDI Keyboard)
* Yamaha Motif XS Rack (tone generator) w/ mLAN16e2 expansion card (for firewire connectivity to PC)

My Computer:
------------
Dell Studio 1737 Laptop
* Intel Core2 Duo T9400 @ 2.53 Ghz
* 4GB DDR2-SDRAM (PC2-6400 / 800MHZ)
* Seagate FreeAgent Xtreme 1TB external HDD (via eSATA)
* Dynex Firewire 800 ExpressCard adapter (using AGERE chipset)

Software:
------------
* Windows Vista Home Premium
(optimized - i.e. all extraneous applications, services, settings and hardware have been disabled)
* Cubase 4 AI

OK, so my problem is that I’m having SEVERE (but sporadic) latency and drop-outs when trying to record or playback both MIDI and AUDIO between my keyboard, laptop and rack unit.

Here is a diagram of my setup:
------------------------------
KEYBOARD --(MIDI)--> RACK UNIT --(FIREWIRE)--> LAPTOP

and

LAPTOP --(FIREWIRE)--> RACK UNIT --> HEADPHONES

The signal goes in two directions: from the keyboard to the computer for recording; and from the computer to the rack for sound playback.

I’m pretty sure the issue is not my CPU or RAM, as I’ve watched the performance window while trying to record / playback, and the CPU / Memory usage are less than 25% each.

That leaves only two other possible causes: either something is set incorrectly in Cubase &/or the rack unit; or there is some sort of hardware related problem that I can’t see (IRQ, Firewire, Bus Controller, etc..)

Does anyone here have experience getting the Yamaha Motif Rack XS and mLAN16e2 expansion card to work with Cubase 4AI in Vista?

If so, can you please give me some pointers on how to get this working correctly?

Additional notes:
-----------------
* I have upgraded Cubase 4 AI to version 4.5.2

* I have installed the Yamaha mLAN Tools and AI Driver

* I have installed the Yamaha Studio Manager, Extensions for DAW and Rack XS Editor software

* The laptop also has an onboard 4-pin firewire port, but it is using the RICOH chipset, which I’ve heard can cause problems, so I’ve disabled it for now.

* The status indicator in the mLAN Manager alternates from Blue (reception is normal) to Red (DBC Error). Is there a way to pinpoint what is causing this?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 12:18 PM
coyote144
Total Posts:  51
Joined  08-15-2008

Re: Hello… Need help with mLan latency issue..

I use the same configuration with my laptop, except that I do not own a Motif rack XS but a Motif XS8. Anyway, it uses the same mLan16E2 card and should not be a trouble.

At a first glance, I can’t see why your configuration does not work properly. i even work with a Ricoh Chipset with no problem.

I wondered why you do not use the mLan MIDI driver. Is the Motif Rack XS able to manage 2 different kinds of MIDI signal: traditionnal MIDI and mLan MIDI provided by the mLan AI Driver? If I were you, I would try to use the MIDI mLan driver to see if things are better…

Otherwise, take care about other Firewire thing plugged in your laptop, it could slow down operations.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 02:56 PM
MrFooBar
Total Posts:  6
Joined  01-14-2009

Hey, thanks for the reply…

I’m not positive, but I think the AI driver is a special driver specifically for using the Motif Rack XS with Cubase 4 AI.  It was installed automatically with the version of mLAN Tools I downloaded from YamahaSynth.com.

I’m going to try and use the built-in firewire port (Ricoh chipset) and see if that makes any difference.  If not, then I got a list of recommended Firewire ExpressCards from Yamaha support, which I’ll give a try…

I’ll follow-up and let everyone know how this turns out…

Thanks!

Josh

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 03:06 PM
coyote144
Total Posts:  51
Joined  08-15-2008

No, the AI driver is not only for Motif Rack XS. It is for all Yamaha gears equiped woth the mLan16E2 interface. AI driver is a mLan driver, but only for peer to peer connections between ONE mLan Yamaha synth and ONE computer. mLan driver is required when you have several mLan gears.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ korg m3 + motif xs rack
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››