mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "chord to key"

Posted on: January 17, 2009 @ 07:29 PM
TheShineNZ
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-07-2005

Hi all, I haven’t posted for a couple of years due to moving country and selling my es6, I am soon looking at purchasing an xs6 or MAYBE an M3, one small query, can you do play a chord and assign that chord to a single key on the XS? I did a search but couldn;’t find it, I guess similar to one finger chord except telling motif which chord you want on each key as you can do it on the pads on the m3.

Regards
Scott

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 04:50 PM
MR2nice
Total Posts:  5
Joined  02-01-2009

Re: chord to key

I’d like to know the answer to this question as well. Couldn’t find it anywhere.

Thanks.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 06:23 PM
DavePolich
Total Posts:  6820
Joined  07-27-2002

This feature does not exist in the XS.

Certain arpeggios are “chord recognition”, and they will recognize
chords you are holding down with your hand. But there is no way to
hold down a set of notes and then have it assigned to a key.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 06:39 PM
delirium
Total Posts:  2441
Joined  11-16-2006

Get the M3 or Fantom, you can assign chord or whole phrases to a pad
or a key, plus you’ll have proper waning system…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 07:16 PM
TheShineNZ
Joined  08-07-2005

I was considering the m3, but the acoustic sounds I would use alot on the motif as I play mainly live rock/pop, nothing really seems to compare to the xs, 6000+ arps is hard to beat also, karma is too complex and rolands arpeggiator is crap, i would love having the pads but still not enough to change to the other soundsets on the korg and roland. Been checking out youtube for demos and motif still sounds better imo, unless someone can show me a demo of the other two that will impress in the rock genre, I’m into the organs, guitars, leads and strings and really couldn’t care less about dance type sounds.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 01, 2009 @ 07:21 PM
MR2nice
Joined  02-01-2009

Thanks for the reply everyone. I’ve already made my decision and purchased the Motif XS6 after having tried M3 and Fantom G. I just haven’t been able to set it up because I’m in the process of moving. I was hoping that the Motif would have this one-finger chord memory but it’s not a big deal as this can be done in Logic.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 03:13 AM
RobsonLuis
Total Posts:  264
Joined  12-11-2008

You can use resampling feature in XS (you must have DIMM modules installed) to record the output sounds (chords, phrases, etc) and assign to keys. It´s not the perfect solution in this case, but maybe help you.

Cheers.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 04:33 PM
TheShineNZ
Joined  08-07-2005

Thanks guys, looks like you could do it just not quite as easy as the other workstations, anyone here own both the fantom g6 and motif xs? I am wanting to play live, and although at this stage the fantom has some downfalls it looks great for live use, anyone compared the sounds on the two boards? I loved my es sounds, but used to own a roland years ago and did remember is was pretty good for the time also. Would love to hear from someone who owns the g.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 02, 2009 @ 08:58 PM
Synthgeek
Total Posts:  668
Joined  11-18-2003

XS sounds the best hands down.  Wish it had the chord feature too.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 03:08 AM
bobbybland
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  01-04-2008

There’s a couple options out there for guys who want this feature..
1.Mpc 1000 or 2500 with JJOS 2xl ,you can use the new chord feature,nice..have it works fine..  [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5R1ovLCkI&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G5R1ovLCkI&feature=related [/url]

2.Korg Nano Pad - with nplearn program.. cheapest route works great!  [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZQYXaXkBUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZQYXaXkBUs [/url]

3.Cubase 4- chorder plugin - decent..or a ton of other cpu vst plugins out there that can do similar things..

4.Korg M3,Oasys,Karma,M-50 Roland Fantom G all support chord learn trigger pads OR a way to do this..

I agree though the Motif should have dedicated chord triggers or an OS update that could allow assigning chords to keys!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 03:20 AM
RobsonLuis
Total Posts:  264
Joined  12-11-2008

When the M3 is mentioned, I remember the oooooooold Korg Poly-800. It has “chord learn” too, and I used that very much! To live performances was very useful and fun!

Now, returning to XS world, you can prepare chords using voice programming, since XS have up to 8 elements per voice. So you can copy elements to each other and set course pitch of each element do align to you desired chord (up to 8 notes per chord). I know it´s not simple enough to live performances, but by now is an another solution to continue using the high quality sounds from XS.

Note: in this case, you don´t need memory samples (DIMM) installed. You can use everything from ROM, as you wish. Fortunately, the XS have a vast space to explore new possibilities and programming. Very powerful machine!

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 10:49 PM
MR2nice
Joined  02-01-2009

Hopefully this will be implemented down the road in one of the OS update.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 04, 2009 @ 03:07 AM
TheShineNZ
Joined  08-07-2005

Thanks all, I went to try out the three workstations today. I owned an es6 in the past. It was very unexpected, I actually like the fantom g, after listening to the motif xs, m3, and fantom g, I found the sounds on the roland to be more full, smooth and pleasing to my ear. I thought about what I’d miss about the motif and when i thought about my needs, as I mostly play live, i thought all 6000 arps were a waste of time without an easy to use tap tempo feature and also all the live features of the g I made my choice. I;d like both but can’t afford that for now so the g is must b.

Thanks to everyone for your help, I’ll stop back here as its an awesome site, I may still choose the motif if i cannot get a g for the price I can afford

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Editor sync time out error
Next Topic:

What’s New... ››