mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Roland GS MIDI & Motif"

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 08:51 AM
Enigmatic
Total Posts:  470
Joined  01-24-2007

Is Motif Classic compatible with Roland GS MIDI.  I have a few MIDI files which seem to have been created with a TR-808 drum kit, but when i play these on the Motif, it picks up the standard GM drum kit.

How do i fix this?

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GS]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_GS [/url]

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2009 @ 08:55 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6204
Joined  05-08-2003

Re: Roland GS MIDI & Motif

Do a search on the forum for General Midi Reset or Initialise (I forget which it is) You need to put a command into the MIDI file in order for it to play back properly and it seems to me that this might be your answer.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 17, 2009 @ 11:42 AM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

This is not a ture GM MIDI file (I think this is a GS MIDI).  However, the drums are on channel 10 with a MSB 0 and LSB 127. 

I think you are taking about the GM Reset, but it may not work in this case since this not a true GM MIDI file.  I’m not sure how well Yammy and Rolly get along together, but i hope they do /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 02:26 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6204
Joined  05-08-2003

GS is the roland equivalent of XG, ie its a way of increasing the number of variations of patches above the 128 available in the standard GM architecture. There’s more to it than that but that’s the most basic thing and as far as what you want to achieve on your drum track is concerned, a GM reset command would be appropriate. Make a copy of your GS track and insert the reset command - if it works all well and good. If it doesn’t help or corrupts the file, then at least you are working on a copy /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Hope this helps.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 03:12 AM
Enigmatic
Joined  01-24-2007

Dave,

I did try the GM Reset, but it got rid of the “Analog Kit” and replaced with “Standard kit”.  I am not a midi guru by any means?  What is XG?

I usually play most of my MIDI files using Native Instruments BandStand, but i need to use my Motif if i want to modify or jam along with a song.  I am attaching the MIDI file, in case you want to give it a try..

Here my NI BandStand Screenshot.  (This is how it looks when i opened the plain vanilla MIDI file. (Typo 0))

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/sonnetgomes/Motifator/NI-BandStand1.jpg

As you can see, I have more options to chose for drums.  Does Motif give you similar options? (For GS/XG/GM files)

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/sonnetgomes/Motifator/NI-BandStand2.jpg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 03:38 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36648
Joined  07-30-2002

GM, GS and XG explanation:
GM is General MIDI (around 1991) this protocol was introduced to allow a standard set of program changes to recall specific instruments. There are requirements that the Voices be listed in a specific order, deliver a specific amount of polyphony (minimum 32), and therefore there is a restriction to layering (most GM Voices are single layers, only a very few are velocity swaps, etc.).

There were 16 Categories established for so called “Normal” instruments: Piano category, Chromatic Percussion category, Organs, Guitars, Basses, etc., etc.

The are 8 instruments in each Category… but the significant thing is that a product that is GM compatible will list these in the same order. For example, the Piano category is as follows:
Program Change 1 is the Grand Piano (Classic)
Program Change 2 is the Brite Piano (Rock)
Program Change 3 is the Electric Grand (CP80-type)
Program Change 4 is the Honky-tonk Piano
Program Change 5 is the Electric Piano (Rhodes-type)
Program Change 6 is the Electric Piano (DX-type)
Program Change 7 is the Harpsichord
Program Change 8 is the Clavinet (D6-type)

All instruments that follow General MIDI protocol will have these sounds in this order, and so on through the 128 “normal sounds”. The GM Normal Bank is designated:
MSB = 000, the LSB = 000

Drums are not normal (drummers are not normal) so they have their own category. The GM Drum Bank is designated:
MSB = 127, the LSB = 000
Program Changes for the Drums occur every 8th program
1, 9, 17, 25, 33, 41, 49, 57, 65

GS is Roland’s General Standard protocol that added additional sounds in parallel banks and additional control protocols (see Roland documentation for its details)

XG is Yamaha’s Extended General MIDI protocol that added additions sounds in parallel banks and 23 additional controllers to further customize your music. For example, additional technologies were able to participate in GM (like analog synthesizers, FM synthesizers, Virtual Acoustic physical modeling technology, etc., etc.)

A product that conforms to the protocols will receive a specific logo (tattooed on the front panel). While all GS modules are GM, and it is also true that all XG modules are GM.... it cannot be said that all GM modules conform to GS or XG. Both GS and XG extend the GM protocol to include additional controls…

The beautiful thing about them is that if you do not have a synth with GS banks or your synth does not have any XG banks, then the module will use standard protocol Voice. So, for example, the Yamaha XG protocol has many alternate bass sounds for the “Fingered Bass” Program Change #34. They would be found in parallel banks but at PC #34;
For example: MSB = 000, LSB 065, PC = 34
If your module was GM compatible it would ignore the MSB and LSB and just recall Program Change #34 from the standard 000/000 bank - so you would still get the standard Fingered Bass (Fender) sound but you would not get the “Modulated Alembic” bass Voice found in bank 000/065. So the file would still select a Fingered Bass sound and you would never know what you were missing.

Okay, all that said. The Motif is not XG compatible, it is definitely not GS compatible, heck, it is not even officially GM compatible… Although it does have a bank of voices structured to respond to the standard normal GM bank select commands, the Voices are not strictly speaking GM Voices. Although the GM bank in the Motif-series does respond to MSB = 000, and LSB = 000 none of the restriction about layering were adhered to, thus there is no GM logo on the unit.

In general, the Motif only has 1 GM Drum Kit the Standard Kit at PC #1. You can substitute (manually) any of the Motif kits as the generally follow the GM mapping but results are bound to vary from original GM intentions (most times for the better) but there was no effort (quite the opposite) to make the Motif GM compatilbe on a strict basis… The target customer while they may use GM files, do not want to be restricted with the conservative rules of the GM protocol.

You can substitute the Motif’s own Analog drum kit (or any drum kit from the Motif’s own collection of kits).
Motif Drum banks are as follows:
MSB = 063; LSB = 032 (PRESET DRUM)
MSB = 063; LSB = 040 (USER DRUM)

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Motif voices to computer???
Next Topic:

Brad’s List: TOP MOTIF/MOTIF ES FORUM QUESTIONS ››