mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to save Mixer/Instrument (part) settings"

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 10:01 AM
turnstile
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-19-2006

Just wondering how I can save my multi setups.  Thats really all I care about as Im using an MPC to do all of the sequencing on.

Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 10:31 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: How to save Mixer/Instrument (part) settings

It’s important when posting to the shared forums on this site that you tell us which instrument you have as these forums are for all of the Motif class synthesizers (Motif, S90, Motif Rack, Motif ES, Motif Rack ES, S90ES, MO6, MO8, Motif XS, Motif Rack XS) and the answers will vary somewhat depending on the instrument. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

From your previous posts, it appears that you have a Motif (classic). For that instrument, the mixing parameters (including voice selections, system effects, effects routing, stereo pan position, relative volumes, etc.) are part of a song or pattern.

What you need to do is to set up you mix as desired - using the [SONG] (or [PATTERN])-->[MIXING]-->[EDIT] dialogs and then store that mix to a song or pattern (press [STORE]). Since songs and patterns (including their mix settings) are saved in volatile memory, once you have set up the mix settings for a song or pattern (or set of songs or patterns) you must save these to external storage (a SmartMedia Card or SCSI device) and reload them each time you power cycle the instrument. Having done that, you would simply select the song or pattern that has your mix and then use you MPC to send the appropriate MIDI data to the Motif to generate the voices that are used in your song.

Edited: See also Earl’s post below for information on storing and recalling a mix in a mixing template. This approach removes the need to save an ALL SONG or ALL PATTERN externally. It does limit you to a maximum of 16 mixes as that is the total # of mixing template available on the Motif Classic… Brad /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Brad Weber /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 10:43 AM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

You should state which keyboard you have. We address all of the Motif and “S” keyboards. There could be particulars to the one you are using.

That said, if you are using the Motif family (I’m not sure of this function in the “S” keyboards), if you intend to use the same alignment or even a few different alignments of your instruments for recording, you can Save them in a Template.

This is based on the ES, but I’m sure that the proceedure is the same on the others that support this function....

Once you have settled on the Mix alignment of instruments that you want to have on hand......
Press PATTERN or SONG where your alignment is.
Press MIX
Press JOB
Press TEMPLATE [F6]
Here you can set your Template in the location you wish. Where you set it will Overwrite the existing Template. You can “Name” the Template what you want here.
Press PUT [SF5]
Press ENTER and Confirm.
Now you have “that” alignment ready when you want so that you don’t have to go through setting those instruments again.

When you want to start a project, and you need one of your Templates....
Call up the blank PATTERN or SONG
Press MIX
Press JOB
Press TEMPLATE[F6]
This time....
Press GET..ENTER...CONFIRM
The Template will now be in your Mix for your new project
Hope this helps....
Let us know what axe you are using for future assistance.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 04:13 PM
turnstile
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-19-2006

Thanks so much for the thorough information.  And yes I have a Motif Classic.  I seem to forget the forums aren’t keyboard specific as are the areas.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 06:49 PM
d80665
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-22-2009

How to save Mixer/Instrument (part) settings

Perhaps this is the closest topic to my question.  (I am using a Motif XS) I have successfully loaded a (.smf) midi file into Song but the .smf was programmed using a general midi organ setting and I would like to change it to a different organ voice on the Motif XS.  Everytime I edit/change the voice(in mix mode), save it and restart the song/sequence it it reverts back to the GM organ.  Other than re-programming the midi file is there a way that I can assign the new organ voice?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 11:32 AM
deeluk
Total Posts:  20
Joined  12-05-2007

It sounds like there is a program change command in the MIDI track that you are playing.  This is what is causing the voice to switch back.  SMF’s typically have this at the beginning of the track.  If you edit the data and delete the program change command, it won’t switch voices on you.  Then, whatever voice you assign in the mix will stay put.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 04:52 PM
Bif
Total Posts:  774
Joined  08-18-2003

d80665,

.smf files are notorious for having all kind of events on each midi channel. These are placed there to tell your computer how to set up for the song. They include program change commands, volume settings, effects settings, panning, etc. These are things you don’t need nor want as they tend to clog up the midi pipeline for your XS.

Go into event edit mode and manually delete all the garbage you don’t need. After you get rid of this stuff, you can go into “MIX” mode, set the instrument(s) for each channel, save your settings and you will be good to go.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 24, 2009 @ 10:38 PM
deeluk
Total Posts:  20
Joined  12-05-2007

It’s not that the PC or volume or pan or whatever setting is in the file is wrong or anything.  It is just wrong for what you are trying to do with the file.  You often run into the inverse of your situation.  You want to create an SMF that the person on the receiving end has a chance of listening to with some semblance of the sounds you were using.  So, you need to put PC commands in the MIDI stream to achieve this.  They take it, and then decide, hey, that organ track would be so much better if I used -this- organ that my XS has.  I’m gonna delete that PC command and save a mix that uses the super orgasmotron instead.  There is even a feature in the XS that allows you to put the PC commands in the MIDI stream automagically.  “With PC”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2009 @ 04:31 PM
d80665
Joined  01-22-2009

Thanks guys.

I finally located the event that was making the voice change back.  I was trying to use a more realistic organ setting on the Motif (there are so many organs to choose from) and drop the General Midi organ I originally programmed.  I guess I was not pushing the right sequence of buttons to edit but you guys set me on the road to get it done.  Thanks for you help.

Another semi-related question…
If I play a pattern or song (.smf file) and I want to play along with the pattern, I’ve noticed that the sustain pedal doesn’t operate even after the .smf file ends - thoughts?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 27, 2009 @ 06:29 PM
Bif
Total Posts:  774
Joined  08-18-2003

d80665,

I suspect that there’s another midi event causing your problem.

Whenever I’ve used .smf’s, I strip off ALL those events because they are unneeded on the XS. ‘MIX’ mode tells the XS everything it needs to know about your song, voice, effects setting, etc., so there’s no need for that other stuff.

Go in and delete that junk and see if your sustain pedal starts working.

Greg

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 28, 2009 @ 06:44 PM
d80665
Joined  01-22-2009

Greg… yu da man!

You are right on in your advice.  I found all program info in the midi file and deleted everything, popped over to set everything in the mix mode and everything stayed/saved right where I wanted.  I can now play along AND have my sustain.  Thank you much for your help.

I asked this question (probably in another thread - I’ve asked a handful in 1 day), before and I’ve had some luck but maybe I can get some advice on finishing this task…

I have a .wav file that I want to loop.  I was given advice as to how to make it loop and I can do that when I enter the sample edit mode.  It’s there and sounds great, had to tweak the sample end a bit but it’s all good, BUT #1) I can’t seem to get it to save onto the USB drive, #2) I can’t get it to play (as a loop) when added to another voice.  Is it possible to save a .wav file with the loop info back onto a USB for instant recall?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: February 03, 2009 @ 05:34 AM
mshawnharris
Joined  05-31-2007

I am also having problems with MIXING changes during a song; however, there are no events to clear. I set the mix, save it to the pattern, sequence the pattern, play it back, save it.  At different times in the process, no specific point in the process, when I begin playing back the pattern (drums) and play along on another track with piano, I will press the next pattern segment and the piano sound jumps to drums. Not just for that segment, but for all of them, including the one I just played. When I load the pattern and check, the mix is correct; I start playing and it’s OK, but switch segments (A-G) and all jump to just drums on every track.  Any idea what could cause this?  BTW, Motif ES8 is what I am on.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Editing a preformance
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››