mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Cubase 5 announced"

Page 2 of 3
Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 12:33 PM
TheDukester
Total Posts:  3345
Joined  01-18-2003

Re: Cubase 5 announced

Does anyone have an idea as to when C-Base 5 will be available in the US?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 12:51 PM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Dukester, looks like mid Feb according to the Steinberg US shop .

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 01:14 PM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

My Cubase 5 is already reserved ^_^

It should be available at the end of this month.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 01:38 PM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

Excellent Albert, please let us know what you think of it.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 03:25 PM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

Thanks,Gents! Just sighned up on to the waiting list.

BTW: Those of you who have examined the specs on C-Base 5, what are the “new” features and improvements that “you” find interesting and are excited about such that you will get it for the first time or ditch your lower grade for it?

I’m making a monumental “leap” from C-Base SE 3 (have found out what I “can’t” do that I would “like” to do because it just “isn’t enough software"). I’m interested in what you guys are finding in this program that is appealing.
Thanks in advance......
(I’m always looking for info and techniques)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 04:02 PM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

Well I’m really excited about the new pitch correction feature implemented into the sample editor. I don’t sing (luckily for the rest of the species near my flat) but I plan to do experimental things with computer generated voice along this feature.

The new Reverb looks also wonderful. Although there is no information about its latency or CPU consumption. There are many impulse responses recorded from very high quality reverbs like Lexicons available on the Internet, and they can be used in this new convolution effect. I’m eager to check the results.

Next, I always wanted a good VSTi drum machine, and the new Groove Agent One looks veeeeeery interesting. Almost as if they made it for me /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt=

And lastly, the new VST Expression thing looks promising.

I also read (don’t remember where) that they will continue to bring new sounds to Cubase 5, as they did with the excellent VST sound collection Vol.1.

But I expected C5 to come with a sampler (halion 4 for example). All the other DAWs have their own. That’s what I really miss. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 05:28 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

It’s a good question, Dukester, because I think many of us may simply think that the need to upgrade is obvious. At £175 or $260 it is not so obvious value unless you really need the benefits. Having said that I can see that an upgrade from SE3 to C5 makes good sense, but from C4 to C5 may need more evaluation.

For me, I am not so interested in the plug-ins as it would be my preference to consider the many other reverb, pitch correction and beat creation plug-ins and offboards available in the marketplace. However, I recognise that getting them within Cubase is probably a good economic choice.

I am certainly interested in the improvements to workflow and performance, such as the editing, recording and export features .  Also of attraction to me is the VST Expression and how it will work with East West products.

(Oh, and if toscanini is reading this, could you please edit your earlier post because I think your extended yeeppee is causing the posts to stretch and be difficult to read!)

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 07:32 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

Thanks,dorremifasol and PeterG. I really appreciate your feedback on this.

I was just about to upgrade to C4 when I had placed a call to Steinberg for some questions on my program. I got that encrypted, “Why don’t you wait a week or two before you make the move”. This was just before NAMM. I’m glad I did.

I too am intereseted in the “Vocal Editor” in the C5. I don’t necessarily have an issue with the singing for myself,but I do work with Harmonizers and one of them “sometimes” fluctuates on one or two voices. I’m presuming I can “straighten” those parts out with that feature.

I finally have had the light come on with Plug ins (thanks to FrankE and DaveP) and that was one of the limitations that exist in SE 3. Greater access and flexability in C5 as I understand it. I know there will be a lot more to learn with such a drastic upgrade,but this whole DAW and workstation thing has been going on for the last 6 years. I’ve come to realize that my head won’t “really” explode.

I do have another question. CPU usage.
I remember that this was a problem when I attempted to use the mBox and Pro Tools. Before I could work with them, I had to reset the start up of my computer so as to give them enough CPU to get them to “work”.

Possibly someone could give me a “tutorial” of a sort to help me understand this aspect. I have no problem with the SE 3 and CPU (at least not one that has hindered me from recording so far),but I’d like to know just what I need to consider in this area.

My system seems to meet all of the other requirements for the program in terms of memory,speed and disc space. Is there anything I should know and or consider in regards to CPU usage and this particular program?
Thanks in advance. And thanks again for chiming in,Gents.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 08:37 AM
dorremifasol
Joined  10-17-2005

The most basic recommendation is:

Try not to run any other program besides the DAW to avoid hickups, specially when recording. Disconnecting the computer from the net is even better.

But I’m sure you already know this…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 09:33 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

I agree with Albert, running other programmes is a big no-no.  I would add a couple of things.

Disconnection from the net for sure, but make sure you have disabled any virus checkers.  Most importantly, configure to run the processor on “background services”.  (Control Panel, system, advanced, performance options, advanced, processor scheduling). 

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 11:13 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

“configure to run the processor on “background services”. (Control Panel, system, advanced, performance options, advanced, processor scheduling).”

Please explain. Never heard of this.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 11:36 AM
PeterG
Joined  01-30-2004

This tweak is essential if you are using ASIO drivers, because these drivers run as background services in Windows. Cubase relies on this setting to ensure a low latency in order to avoid dropouts.

Peter

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 07:02 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Duke,

man, what a question!!
I think even the step from SE3 to its equivalent “4” would leave you with some significant beneficial options such as Halion One. The step up to 5 will add other benefits as detailed elsewhere. The beauty of these steps are that being an SE user means you actually are already familiar with most of what Cubase can do with you at the helm. C5 will add to that ability, give you more options and just generally improve your sound. Mate, I could not believe the difference in the sound quality of the effects when I moved from SX3 to C4.

Now talking of effects and folloing on with CPU issues, one of the advantages of C4 and thus C5 are VST3 effects. These do offer a CPU load advantage in that when they are not receiving signal, they do not load the CPU. In your old system, the VST effects would continue to be active and load the CPU even when not in use. Of course the new convolution reverb will significantly add to potential CPU overload. If you are worried about CPU stuff, what are your specs? These days you may be better served by a new base unit, or by simple cheap additions such as extra RAM or indeed a second internal or external Hard Disk with a fast spin speed and sustained data transfer rate.

Scheduling Background Services as Peter mentions is a must.
You can check out Sound on sound for other PC musicians tweaks which are effective, be it for XP or for Vista.

Hope that helps matey /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 08:31 AM
TheDukester
Joined  01-18-2003

All of this is “Greek” to me,but this is what I’m to “believe” are the specs to my system…

INSPIRON 530 INTEL CORE 2 PROCESSOR Q6600 (2.40GHZ 1066FSB)
W/QUAD CORE TECHNOLOGY AND 8MB CACHE
XP PRO
4GB 667MHZ DDR2 4DIMM MEMORY
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM SERIAL

This system is dedicated to music. I have Internet Explorer/MSN as the only access to the Internet that I “try” to use only for downloading that which is necessary for music.I have a printer and Microsoft Office and that’s it. Every other program is music related. Any work outside of that is done on the one I’m using right now.
I also have a seperate external Hard Drive where I keep backups to my ES ie Voices, Samples, Banks etc etc.

I told Dell my intentions and they put this together for me. I told them Vista was a deal breaker so they accommidated me with the XP Pro.

As usual, and the thing that is so great about this site, you guys are treasures to take the time to share your knowledge and offer help and assistance to understanding all of this. Thank you all so much for time and patience explaining just what I’m getting into and what to look “forward” to. I’m getting all my ducks in row in preparation for the “Upgrade” and I will go to SOS to check out that article you recommended,Brother Wellie.
Much thanks again,Gents

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 08:49 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Dukester, your computer specs are good. Re your questions about background services and tweaking an XP computer for music etc. click here . Hope that helps.................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Page 2 of 3

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Steinberg Dongle?
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››