mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Controlling (part) volumes in a performance"

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 06:34 AM
Enigmatic
Total Posts:  470
Joined  01-24-2007

Hi,

How do i control the (real-time) volume of the 4 parts in the performance of the Rack ES. 

I have a CME UF80 controller which has 8 sliders and was wondering how I could setup the Rack ES in order to control the volume of the 4 parts individually using the sliders.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 08:40 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: Controlling (part) volumes in a performance

The parts of a performance on Motif class synthesizers respond to a single MIDI channel. Since volume and expression control change messages are MIDI channel based, it is not possible to use these control change messages to independently change the volume or expression of the parts of a performance. (The Motif synthesizers do support changing part volume via system exclusive commands, but I’m not aware of any MIDI control keyboard that sends system exclusive commands in response to slider changes - certainly the CME UF controllers do not.) /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

One alternative that would allow you to play layered and split voices on the Rack ES via an external keyboard would be to create (or copy) a multi which has the same voices and mix as the desired performance with each part assigned to a unique MIDI channel. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

Then, if your controller can send MIDI note and control change data on separate MIDI channels, you could separately control the relative volume of each part. In my reading of the UF Owner’s Manual, it appears that this controller does support assigning the sliders to different MIDI channels. The challenge (again according to my quick scanning of the CME Owner’s Manual) is that while the UF does support splitting the keyboard and sending Note data on independent channels, it appears that this keyboard only supports two splits and does not allow you to set the split point (so you can’t overlay the two parts, if desired). /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 09:54 AM
Enigmatic
Total Posts:  470
Joined  01-24-2007

Re: Controlling (part) volumes in a performance

Thanks Brad.  That’s what i thought too.  I can follow your route, but I think i will simply create two patches with the desired volume, and switch back and forth.  /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif alt=

Regards.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Looking for VeloFlute patch as a .w9e file
Next Topic:

Tracking in Protools +4 or -10 ››