mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Steinberg Dongle?"

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 12:57 AM
rogerkmusic
Total Posts:  100
Joined  02-15-2008

Is it ok to keep the steinberg dongle plug in all the time?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 02:17 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: Steinberg Dongle?

This probably amounts to the same question as ‘shoudl I keep my computer on all the time’

Many say it is better for the computer to be left on. Others disagree. Lets face it, in a world of perfect electrical supplies - no mains spikes or brownouts then no electrical harm should come to a piece of electronics plugged in to a peripheral port unless there is a fault in the computer itself - not impossible, but unlikely.

Of course, there is a key thought in that last paragraph - plugged into a peripheral port - where is that port’s location? I usually use the USB slot on the front of my PC - the ones at the back being full! But that does leave my dongle vulnerable to physical damage and so I usually remove the dongle when i am not in a session. Of course an alterantive solution woudl be to clear a USB port on the back so it could stay plugged in and be powered whenever the PC was powered.

Well, that’s a few more thoughts than I intended to write - hope they all help /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 10:22 AM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

Thanks...its plug in too my usb hub in a safe place.say something did go wrong, what would i have to do.i got wave lab 6 key and cubase studio 4 key on the same dongle

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 02:48 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

I would recommend that you plug your dongle into a USB port on the computer rather than on a hub, even if it works and the hub is powered. If your dongle with Steinberg licences ever goes down, you will need to contact Steinberg directly for support. Some folks have several licences on two or more dongles or iLoks so having two on one is not a problem. These devices can, but seldom do, fail, and more people seem to loose them or break them rather than end up with a faulty device /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= .........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 04:07 PM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

Why whats the difference between usb hub and the computer port..So if something did go wrong with the dongle i would contact steinberg for help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 04:28 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Most times, no difference, but with a few hubs problems have been experienced. A dongle at the back of, or in a port in, your computer may also be safer than one in an external hub. But really, it’s a minor point and plugging it into your computer is only a recommendation. Yes, for support and a replacement licence when a dongle fails you must contact Steinberg in your country..................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 15, 2009 @ 06:27 PM
rogerkmusic
Joined  02-15-2008

Thanks.,.,.,

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Steinberg Extension DAW renames my MIDI Ports!
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››