mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Steinberg Extension DAW renames my MIDI Ports!"

Posted on: January 14, 2009 @ 02:07 PM
coyote144
Total Posts:  51
Joined  08-15-2008

Here is my configuration:
- PC Core Duo with WinXP SP3, Cubase 4.5.2
- Yamaha 01X and i88x audio/MIDI interfaces, Motif XS8, With mLan 1.6.3 driver installed.
- Steinberg Extension DAW 1.4.1 installed.

I use my mLan MIDI ports 2 and 3 (corredponing with my physical MIDI ports on my 01X) to control my V-synth XT and G2X.

I am used to rename my MIDI ports in order to give them the instrument’s names plugged to them, instead of keeping the original names mLan 01, mLan 02, etc. This is what I did in my Cubase 4, like I always did in Cubase SX3 and Cubase AI4 when I used them.

My problem is the follonwing one: when I install the Steinberg Extension Daw for Cubase 4, the extension rename some of my MIDI ports Motif XS, Motif XS Remote...Which is very good and usefull. BUT: is also bring back the generic name for my other midi ports, cancelling the “custom” names I had given to them. I first thought that the Steinberg Extension Daw installation had cancelled them, but even if I change once more the names, every time I boot Cubase, the same names are back.

This occurs wih Cubase 4, Cubase AI4, on WinXP SP3 and Vista 32 bits SP1, on two different computers.

Any idea about any way to fix it?

Many thanks for helping.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 07:24 PM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Re: Steinberg Extension DAW renames my MIDI Ports!

Just a quick thought so I may be incorrect.

Try renaming the ports in Studio Manager and saving the session.

After all, Cubase is supposed to restore the session - is it not?

If the above fails, I shalll think again! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=)_

Regards,

B

PS Also you might try saving the setup you like to an existing template name
eg “Yamaha MOTIF XS multi channel recording.cpr”

You will be asked to overwrite so say yes.

PPS Backup your template before overwriting

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 20, 2009 @ 08:38 AM
boulez
Total Posts:  669
Joined  02-12-2007

Hey Wylie,

Have you had a chance to try my suggestion?

B

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 01:31 PM
coyote144
Joined  08-15-2008

Good evening,

I just cannot see where you can rename MIDI ports in Studio Manager. Studio Manager does not handle MIDI ports. It only uses some of them to be a remote for my Motif XS8 and my 01X.

Considering templates, yes I use templates; with no more results.

I just wanted to know if anyboy else had noticed this small bug. Before I installed the Steinberg Extension DAW, I never had such a problem.

I think that the Steinberg Extension DAW renames MIDI ports linked to the Motif XS in my mLan driver. But I don’t have only the Motif XS MIDI ports in the mLan driver, I also have other MIDI ports, such as my 01X’s ones, and my MIDISPORT’s ones. I Assume that, renaming Motif XS ports, the Steinberg Extension DAW bring back original names to other ports…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 12:06 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Yes, it will tell you which ports your Motif XS are located and communicating on. This is a feature (not a problem)! It would only be a problem if it did not do so correctly. It will not rename your 01X ports, you still have to use the mLAN port numbers for those.

Since the new generation products (like the Motif XS, the n-Series mixers, etc.) are all made to work with fixed functions for the ports, they are correctly identified when you connect by the Yamaha Extensions.

MIDI Port 1 of the Motif XS (which you probably have connected to “mLAN MIDI IN (9)") is now identified by the much more friendly “Motif XS”.... If you connect only the Motif XS and it is set to PORT 1 of the computer - you will not have to guess, it will ID itelf by name (wonderful) you will come to love this…

MIDI Port 2 of the Motif XS, which used to identified in your setup probably as “mLAN MIDI IN (10)” is now identified by its fixed function “Motif XS Remote”. No you do not have to guess where the dedicated port is for REMOTE control functions. And Cubase will automatically recognize and configure this port when you ADD the Motif XS as a REMOTE DEVICE!!! (It’s a Feature)!!!

MIDI Port 3 of the Motif XS, which used to be identifed in your setup as “mLAN MIDI IN (11)” is now identifed by its fixed function “Motif XS MIDI IN”. When you connect an external MIDI keyboard or module to the the 5-pin jack on the back of the XS, it will automatically be identified by the this third port (gone is the MIDI THRU parameter where you had to set a separate port for external connected devices)… This makes it much easier for the non-MIDI Jedi Knights out there attempting to connect external modules. The External Module is connected to the Motif XS’s MIDI IN thus the name “Motif XS MIDI IN”.

It’s a feature. And Ditto for the MIDI OUTPUTS, insted of numbered ports you know the “Motif XS”, “Motif XS REMOTE” and “Motif XS MIDI OUT” are just as identified.

This will allow us to phase out the Graphic Patchbay (which is a very awesome tool, but let’s face it… too many musicians are intimidated by it)… So in the future all ports will be identified and fixed as to function. This is what musician’s feel is “friendly” - and it is… It’s a feature!

For the 01X you will have to remember that:
Port 1 is your DAW Remote
Port 2 is MIDI A
Port 3 is MIDI B
Port 4 is for Studio Manager 01X Editor
Port 5 is for General Remote

If I had a nickel for each time I had to identify which port on an 01X is for this or for that… (I’d have a big pile of nickels)… I bet users can find the “Motif XS Remote” port all by themselves!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 22, 2009 @ 12:28 PM
coyote144
Joined  08-15-2008

Thank you for helping me. I already knew what MIDI ports number corresponded to what peace of gear. I would only have preferred that the others MIDI ports, renamed in Cubase 4 by myself, would have kept their new names after the Steinberg extension DAW installation. In my point of view, seeing “Nord Modular G2X” or “V-synth XT” in my Cubase midi output list is more friendly than having mLan 02 or mLan 03.

But, the most important is: after all, it works…

Thanks for helping me.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Window 7 beta and mlan drivers
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››