mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Remote Control Implementation Bug In AI4?"

Posted on: January 12, 2009 @ 07:38 PM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

[Posted this same message on the Steinberg Cubase.Net forum. Thought someone here might know something.]

Using a Yamaha Motif ES8 (OS 1.08 ) with Cubase AI4 (4.1.2) with the Yamaha USB-Midi Driver (2.2.3) in Windows XP SP3.

The ES8 has the ability to act as a remote control. When implemented, it dumps out Mackie Control commands thru Port 4. The Yamaha manual says setup Cubase (SX) for the Mackie Control in the Cubase remote setup dialog. Done.

I was getting a lot of hangs and lock-ups on the Yamaha when sequencing. Here’s what’s causing it and what I see happening:

When I run the system with the Yamaha USB-Midi Driver window open, you can see the various ports activating when you play or use the remote functions. The ES outputs all it’s normal non-remote information on Port 1. All is well when activating the remote function on the ES and using Remote Control functions; everything operates properly on Port 4 in Cubase and on the Yamaha. When you turn the Remote function off on the ES, all output activity ceases on Port 4 as it should; the driver window verifies this. HOWEVER:

When you play the keyboard or push buttons, anything that causes activity in and out on Port 1, you can also see activity coming IN on Port 4. No activity on the Port 4 output, just information being generated on the Port 4 input. There’s ONLY information being generated OUT on Port 1, but it appears as if it’s being re-routed somehow inside Cubase to go out Port 4 as well as Port 1.

It also does this regardless of the remote setting on the ES by the way; even when the Remote function is on and Port 4 remote control commands are being routed properly, there is still information being routed into Port 4 when only Port 1 commands are being generated (like say playing the keybed). This is what’s causing my ES to lock up. If I turn the Remote Output off in the Cubase device setup, there’s no output on Port 4, and no problems.

Summary of what I see: It appears the Remote Control function in AI4 is somehow dumping midi information from Port 1 into Port 4 when a remote control has been assigned in the Devices Setup. If I change the Port assignment to say Port 2, the problem follows the Cubase port assignment into Port 2. If I turn the output port off in the Cubase remote setup, the information on Port 4 being generated when Port 1 data is being transmitted ceases.

Anyone else have this issue? I reinstalled AI4 and the Yamaha driver, same deal.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2009 @ 06:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Remote Control Implementation Bug In AI4?

Sounds to me as if you do not have your Port setup configured properly. Sorry, I am 2500 miles from my rig so I cannot verify your findings… but since I’ve used the Motif ES as a Remote Control surface since 2003 and never had this particular problem, I’d like to know how you have your setup configured.

On the Motif ES:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] MIDI
Press [SF2] SWITCH
Please report on the Local Control condition
Press [SF4] OTHER
Please report on the settings here…

Press [F4] CTRL ASN
Press [SF4] REMOTE
Please report on the setting here.

In Cubase AI4 (and you should really get up to date ... AI is now at 4.5.2):
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP… > MIDI Folder > MIDI PORT SETUP…
Please report on the items marked in the “In All Inputs” Column

Thanks - that will help us analyze why you are getting the results you are getting. And instead of reinstalling anything… update your Cubase to AI4.5.2 (just so you are up to date).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2009 @ 10:46 AM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

Thanks again Phil for the help!

I think I fixed it.

I had the “Reset On Stop” option checked in the Preferences > Midi under the File menu dropdown in Cubase.

It has still done it a couple of times, but it’s 99% there, so I’m going to call it a fix. The odd “Port 4 activation when only activating Port 1 commands” stuff is still there in the Midi-USB driver though; as a programmer it’d be nice to have an explanation for that, but going to let that one go…

The Cubase help file says, “When this option is activated, Cubase AI will send out MIDI Reset messages (including note-off and controller resets) on stop.”

It seemed like it would be a good idea to select that option to reset sustain pedal, aftertouch, etc. commands in the middle of stopping a sequence playback when issuing a stop command.

Apparently not.

Thanks again for the support!

Scott

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2009 @ 05:05 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It has still done it a couple of times, but it’s 99% there, so I’m going to call it a fix.

99% is not a fix. Not at all. I’ve been using the ES since 2003 in this capacity at 100% so 99% is not a fix. It still sounds to us as if you have your ports criss-crossed somewhere and this will raise its ugly head at some point if you do not straighten this out.

So our questions still stand:

On the Motif ES:
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] MIDI
Press [SF2] SWITCH
Please report on the Local Control condition
Press [SF4] OTHER
Please report on the settings here…

Press [F4] CTRL ASN
Press [SF4] REMOTE
Please report on the setting here.

In Cubase AI4 (and you should really get up to date ... AI is now at 4.5.2):
Go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP… > MIDI Folder > MIDI PORT SETUP…
Please report on the items marked in the “In All Inputs” Column
  [ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A Question About VST’s
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››