mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "tuning"

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 06:17 PM
fido94
Total Posts:  62
Joined  08-04-2002

how do I change the tuning of a single note in Motif 8?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 10, 2009 @ 07:04 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: tuning

You could create a Performance, split it into three ranges. 

Load any voice.  Adjust the tuning of that voice to be what you want that “ONE KEY” to be.  Save that voice to a user location.

Assume key 40 is the one you want to tune.

Create a peformance.

Set note range 1 of PART 1, which is keys 1 - 39.  Assign the “Normal” voice to that range.
Set note range 2 of PART 2, which is key 40.  Assign the “USER” voice to that range.
Set note range 3 of PART 3, which is keys 41-88 (or whatever the number of the highest key.) Assign the “Normal” voice to that range as well.

That ought to do it.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 11, 2009 @ 10:34 AM
fido94
Joined  08-04-2002

Thanks Tony for responding.

The issue with using a performance is that I can’t use it for recording songs/patterns. I can see in the edit menu that I can choose a pre-defined tuning but I’m wondering if I have the flexibility to define my own, note by note at the voice level.

I appreciate the help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2009 @ 05:12 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Nope… Not that I know if…

If you’re playing CHORDS, you’re kinda out of luck.

If you’re playing single notes, you could go back into the MIDI data and adjust tuning using Pitch Bend data…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 16, 2009 @ 10:32 AM
KyleB
Total Posts:  2722
Joined  12-03-2002

get Propellerheads Reason 3 or 4.

you can tune a fart with Reason.....LOL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 01:43 AM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

[TonyPhillips] If you’re playing CHORDS, you’re kinda out of luck.

If you’re playing single notes, you could go back into the MIDI data and adjust tuning using Pitch Bend data

I’m not sure I follow you. Why not (in “Song Mode” at least) put each note of the chord on a separate track and apply a different amount of pitch bend at that particular point to each track?

[fido94] I’m wondering if I have the flexibility to define my own, note by note at the voice level.

What tuning do you want to “define”?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 05:38 AM
fido94
Joined  08-04-2002

I need to play quarter-tone scales. in some cases, I need to bring do an E by a quarter-tone, in other cases a B etc…

I’m really surprised Motif does let you do this through one of the menu options. Even my old Roland G-600 lets you do that to any note you wish.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 18, 2009 @ 08:58 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

The Motif can do weird tunings. I am looking at the classic’s manual and it details how to do this in voice mode on P131 - if you have an ES or XS I would still think this is doable, you’ll just need to look through the manual on voice mode until you find what you need - common edit parameters, micro tuning.

Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 26, 2009 @ 08:04 PM
scotch
Total Posts:  2027
Joined  08-14-2005

Um..."micro-tuning" on the Motif is “pre-defined”. The thread starter has already remarked that he doesn’t want a “pre-defined” tuning. That pretty much leaves pitch-bend. 

By the way, “weird” is not the appropriate adjective with which to describe all tunings other than dodecatonic equal temperament. Dodecatonic equal temperament has always been proffered as a compromise, never as an ideal.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Question...please view video!
Next Topic:

MTR vs DAW ››