mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "sequencer problem: it records on two tracks"

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 02:14 AM
MHilke
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-09-2009

hi there!

my sequencer does some annoying stuff sometimes: I record on one track and the device stores it on two tracks. What I did was:

- I turned on Motif ES
- I chose Pattern Mode
- Chose Pattern 40
- I chose an instrument to record on Track 1: Mixing Mode --> Voice --> Category Search --> Bass --> V083: Upright --> confirmed with Enter
- Sequencer: pushed Record button--> Mode “overdub” --> recorded some notes
- then I erased the recording as follows: Record button --> switched recording mode to “replace” --> start --> recorded without playing --> recording was erased
- I chose Track 4: Mixing --> Voice --> Category Search: Bass --> V083: Upright --> Enter
- started recording mode (replace): recorded on Track 4 --> the MOTIF recorded on Track 4 AND 1!!!

Has anybody experienced something similar? I went to my store and was able to talk to a Yamaha hotline guy on the phone but he just told me to download the actual OS version (1.08). Well, I bought my MOTIF in JAnuary 07 and the OS version is from June 06. So I suppose this version should be installed already.

Any suggestions?
Thx in advance!

Matthias

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 03:55 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Re: sequencer problem: it records on two tracks

At first, I’ll answer on your last question. Check version of your OS following this procedure:
Hold the [REC] and [REMOTE] buttons while turning on the MOTIF ES.
The ‘MOTIF ES Test Program’ screen is displayed.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT release the [REC] and [REMOTE] buttons until the screen
appears; it takes several seconds.
2. Confirm that the latest version number ‘Firm Ver:x.xx’ is displayed in the upper
portion of the screen.
3. Press the [STORE] button. The Factory Reset routine will execute and the
data is set back to the factory default settings.
4. Press the [YES] button to exit the Test Program.

I suppose that you press [STORE] button anytime when in Mixing mode change your voice or other settings.
Then, to erase recorded data go to Pattern Job mode, press [F5] TRACK and select 03:Clear Track. Before confirmation select which track you want to erase and deselect Mix Part param to avoid erasing mixing settings (voice, volume, pan, effects, etc.).

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2009 @ 11:28 AM
MHilke
Joined  01-09-2009

Hi!

nbadesign, thank you for your help! I just can’t find a [REMOTE] button. I have a REMOTE section with an On/Off button. Do you mean that one? Well, in the readme file on the OS updater, it says that the [REC] and [STORE] buttons have to be pressed and that worked fine.

Unfortunately, updating seems only to work with a SMART CARD, not with a USB stick. Sorry, but how stupid is that? So I need to buy a smart card otherwise I won’t be able to update? Or am I doing something wrong...?

One thing I’d like to know: When you follwo the steps I described above, do you get the same problem? Or anybody else?

Cheers,
Matt

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2009 @ 11:48 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Matt,

The problem you are seeing is probably due to having the same pattern phrase assigned to two tracks of the pattern section. User pattern phrases are shared by all sections and tracks of a pattern. Therefore, if user phrase was assigned to both track 4 and track 1 and you “replace” recorded to that phrase, you would overwrite that pattern phrase wherever it was assigned. You can verify whether this is the source of your problem by looking at the phrases assigned to each track of a section in the [PATTERN]-->[F4] PATCH dialog.

To avoid this problem, you need to make sure that when you record a pattern that you are not recording to an existing pattern that is used anywhere else in your pattern.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2009 @ 12:12 AM
MHilke
Joined  01-09-2009

Hi Brad!

Well, I think you found it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

If I got it right now, the Motif behaves as follows:

If I record something on track 1, it assigns user phrase 001 to it. If I record something on track 2 then, with the same voice, it assigns user phrase 002 to track 2. So everything is fine.

But if I record on track 1 and afterwards replace-record track 1 again without playing, it clears the track but leaves user phrase 001 assigned to that track. And the “problem” is now that in this particular case, the Motif assigns phrase 001 again as if it was still free: that is, to another track if I start recording on another track with exactly the same voice.

Thanks a lot, man! I’m relieved that there is nothing really wrong with my baby. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt= I mean it is some kind of shortcoming of the Motif, don’t you think? But I can live with it, now that I know how to avoid it.

Now I just gotta find a smartmedia card to update the OS. I read on wikipedia that these cards are not even being produced anymore (!).

Cheers,
Matt

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2009 @ 05:48 AM
nbadesign
Total Posts:  994
Joined  08-20-2007

Sorry cause I didn’t reply to you immediately.
I’m agree with you that updating OS from SM card only is not (for me) a nice choice, but I found SM to xD card adapter very usefull (and much cheaper then SM, since SM are not produced any more /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=).
I realized that Brad find sollution for your problem! Well, just a little advice: When you are in pattern mode, use naming of your paches. Than you will always know what are you using in particular pattern section and you could use different phrases on the same instrument with less possibility to overwrite something.

Alex

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A beginners problem.
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››