mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "The Advantage of Computer Based Recording?"

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
kingbooger
Total Posts:  28
Joined  09-16-2006

Hi, I have a few questions I should have asked BEFORE I bought my laptop. First of all, If you are just going to use a DAW as a sequencer to control your Motif, then why is that better than using the onboard sequencer? I wanted to use VST’s and effects, but I don’t know how much my laptop can handle. I have a 16 track recording studio that I have been using for about 5 years. How would a DAW be an improvement over that? I thought that my laptop would be powerful enough, but now it seems that it is not up to snuff. I feel that I have made a big mistake. Here is a link for my laptop:
[url=http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-VGN-NS135E-W-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-White-VGN-NS135E-W/sem/rpsm/oid/225086/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do]http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-VGN-NS135E-W-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-White-VGN-NS135E-W/sem/rpsm/oid/225086/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do [/url]
Sorry about the old link I fixed it.
/forums/images/icons/blush.gif alt= /forums/images/icons/blush.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 10:33 PM
dorremifasol
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  10-17-2005

Re: The Advantage of Computer Based Recording?

Which one is it? there are a lot of different models in the page you provided.

Not all plugins use the same CPU power. You should use those that your computer can handle, and that can only be learned by testing. Arturia synths for example are very CPU intensive.

You should also check the power scheme set on your laptop. It should be set to “Always ON” and of course not running on batteries, since it reduces considerably the capabilities of the computer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 09:36 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You’ve only made a mistake if don’t think through how you can make the most of what you have. In other words, no computer (or very few) is going to give you unlimited power. Computer software designers have come up with ways to get around the fact that the more music tracks you do, the more softsynths you run, the more effects you use, the more EQ bands you open… the less powerful your computer becomes. That is always going to be true.

If you walk into a room and recognize its size, shape, the height of the ceiling, the distance between the walls, etc. you are more likely to be able to run around and do every thing you need - but if you do not take note of the size, shape and distances, you are doomed to constantly be banging your head against the limits.

the room is only too small when you don’t recognize what it is and what it can do in it.

I find there are only two kinds of users… those that recognize this and those that run out of resources. I know that may sound harsh but I’ve been doing this for a couple decades…

If you attempt to run all your plug-ins “live” you will quickly be running into the walls of limitation. However, if you learn to “commit” to things so that your computer is not always processing everything ‘live’, then you will be able to run around in the space you have without running constantly into the limitations.

For example, asking the question: is one sequencer method better than the other, is going to start you off on the wrong foot. It does not matter if one is better than the other - if you have access to both then they both can be resources for you.

It would be absolutely silly to not take advantage of the hardware in your Motif just to use a computer sequencer. Especially, when you can use MIDI SYNC to use them in tandem. If your computer runs out of EQ bands due to resource limitations, why wouldn’t you use the EQ resources available in the Motif? If the Motif sequencer offers you a tool you do not have in software, why wouldn’t you use it. If the DAW sequencer is easier to edit your tracks, why wouldn’t you use it. Do you have to do one or the other?

(I bet no one really cares how you get the finished song, finished. They only care about how it sounds at the end).

Recording MIDI tracks, first, then committing them to audio - gives you a distinct advantage (if you can utilize it).
Using VST Effects and using the FREEZE function or “committing” them to audio, means you will not be overtaxing your computer. Using the DAW as you would a large old school multi-track tape recorder, is not a bad thing.

Keep your original MIDI track data - this gives you the ultimate level of “undo”, because, if later you decide “what was I thinking printing the audio with this effect or that eq"… you have your original data to reinvent that audio!

I’ve been called to many, many (many) sessions where it was decided that the equipment on hand was not enough to do the project, and with just a little thinking/planning and the fearless attitude of not being afraid to “commit” ideas to audio… the project was completed without having to go get a more powerful system or computer.

Just some thoughts… hope it helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 10:02 AM
kingbooger
Total Posts:  28
Joined  09-16-2006

Thanks for your advice Bad Mister, you are awesome. I have been freaking out lately, because this is such a big step for me. I have a lot to learn. I really appreciate the help you and others have given me. I hope that in time I will be able to help others as well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ MR816csx - Initial Impressions
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››