mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling from CD"

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 12:12 PM
julkeys
Total Posts:  24
Joined  01-07-2009

I recently sampled a sound from a CD and saved the sound to a voice on the MOtif 7.  I notice that the new sampled sound only plays on middle C of the keyboard.  I have two questions:

1.  Is this how a sampled sound should work - only play on one key of the keyboard?

2.  Since the other keys of the voice are not used can I sample other sounds and save those to the other keys so I don’t have to use another voice?  If so, how would i do this?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 06:58 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Sampling from CD

1. Is this how a sampled sound should work - only play on one key of the keyboard?

It is really not a matter of how it “should work”, it is rather a matter of this is one way it can work.

In general, there are two major categories of sampled sounds. Those that you build into musical instruments, for example, you might take a series of a dozen samples and map them across the keyboard to cover the range of an acoustic guitar. This type of sample (multi-sample, actually) is extended to play different pitches as you move up the keyboard. Typically the default scale is Equal Temperament, where an octave is divided into 12 equally spaced pitches.

The other category of sample sound is one where it is an audio clip - which could be a sample of a musical composition or a person speaking or singing… You might sample yourself speaking or singing a melody. In this type of sample, quite naturally, one key is sufficient because only that one pitch will be the actual pitch of your voice.

Now, of course, you can change the scaling (tuning) as you go up and down the keyboard. It does not have to be Equal Temperament. You can actually fix the pitch so that every key plays the same note, or you can reverse the scaling so that it goes down in pitch as you move left to right instead of up in pitch… You can do all of these things - when you place the sample in a USER VOICE.

What you need to know, is that initially when you record a sample to the Motif it is assigned a single key - you can then decide later how many keys will trigger that sample (you do so by adjusting the RANGE parameter). There are 128 keys to which you can sample a sound on the Motif “keyboard”. These 128 places across the keyboard make up what is referred to as a: WAVEFORM. These locations extend from C-2 ~ G8 (that’s a 10 and a half octave range left-to-right). If you think about it, it makes sense that each sample initially goes to just one key!

If you want to change the range of keys that a sample is assigned, here is what you must do:
Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING]
Press [EDIT]
Press [F1] KEYBANK
Here you can audition and select the WAVEFORM
Press [F4] RANGE
Here you can set the range of NOTES that trigger the sample and you can set the range of VELOCITY (speed of key-on) that will trigger the sample.

When creating a musical instrument, for example, you might sample that acoustic guitar starting with E1 (lowest note on the guitar) and depending on how many samples you are going to do, you may ask that sample to cover a range of pitches from D1 ~ G1. Next you may sample the note B1, and you might ask that sample to cover the range G#1 ~ D2, and so on. mapping each sample to cover a range of notes so that there are no “holes” in your guitar (so to speak).

When creating an audio clip type sample, you may decide to have several notes trigger the sample. You can map the range as you require.

In [Integrated Sampling] mode, you set the basic attributes for the sample. These include: Where the sample is mapped (the Ranges), its original pitch, it play direction (one shot, loop, reverse), start/end points, etc.
Then when you go to [VOICE] mode you can further refine how the sample behaves. Voice parameters “dress up” the sample.  These include: the tuning (the type of scale across the keyboard), pitch envelope (how it changes in pitch over time), amplitude envelope (how it comes in, plays and disappears in terms of volume), Velocity sensitivity, filter (harmonic content), filter envelope (how it changes in timbre over time), effects, modulation, assign controllers, etc., etc., etc.

2. Since the other keys of the voice are not used can I sample other sounds and save those to the other keys so I don’t have to use another voice? If so, how would i do this?

Yes, as mentioned each time you sample you can target a KEYBANK within a single WAVEFORM - each WAVEFORM has a maximum of 128 locations (KEYBANKS) to store samples C-2 ~ G8. A single sample is said to occupy a KEYBANK - a KEYBANK can be a single note or it can be a range of notes, as we explained in building a musical instrument.

There are 1,024 WAVEFORM locations available.
But a maximum of 4,096 Keybanks.

But also remember a KEYBANK is defined by two parameter ranges: One for the Notes (horizontally across the keyboard) and the other for the Velocity (vertically in response to key-on speed). So it is possible to map multiple samples on the same KEY and set, for example, a soft strike that responds to velocities 1-50, and medium strike that responds to velocities 51-96 and a hard strike that responds 96-127.
In fact, you can stack as many samples as there are velocities 1-127. (You can’t assign 0 as that is illogical)

So you have 128 samples that go in any Waveform. You can place one per key across the entire keyboard (not likely you will use all 128).

Or you can stack all of them on one key for velocity switching (also not likely you will use all of them).

Or more likely: a combination of both.

Hope that helps get a basic understanding of what is going on.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ B’s Knees Question
Next Topic:

Clean organ but which voice ››