mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Computer Requirements"

Posted on: January 07, 2009 @ 07:06 PM
kingbooger
Total Posts:  28
Joined  09-16-2006

Hi, I need some clarification about minimum requirements for music production. Every DAW’s minimum requirements are for single core PC’s. Basically I just would like to know the equivalent of my 2 GHZ Dual Core is to single core PC’s. I know there probably is no precise answer, but I would like to know if I have enough power. Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 09:04 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: Computer Requirements

I assume you are asking this question in relation to Cubase?? In any case, there’s no definitive answer for a broad question like that, but based on today’s hardware, software, VSTi(s) etc., it is recommended that a Core 2 duo machine is a minimum now with Core 2 Quad being the best choice. In addition one cannot discuss music computers without mentioning RAM. IMHO, at least 2 GB is required, but more is better. Once 64 bit PCs become standard and all software catches up, the amount of RAM folks most folks will add initially will probably be 4-8GB and more. Bottom line: the need for more RAM and more processing power continues to increase on a regular basis, and unless one is just recording several MIDI tracks, a few audio tracks and only using one or two VSTi(s), one must always be aware that ‘more is often better’. Even DAWs themselves are putting more demand on processors and RAM these days.
Finally, so many folks focus on RAM and processors that they forget about one other key element that can make or break any music computer....your digital audio interface. If it isn’t up to specs, or it’s ASIO driver is faulty, or it doesn’t have enough inputs and outputs to meet one’s needs, then the rest won’t matter much anyway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=
Just a few brief comments here, but I strongly recommend that you visit the hardware conference over at Cubase.net, where you will find hundreds of posts and comments concerning music computers...................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 02:04 PM
michaeljoe
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  11-09-2004

I have a 2.8GHz dual core pentium with 2 Gigs of RAM (need to up to 4GB) which does fine with multiple VSTi’s and multiple plug ins.  I’ve had up to 20-24 tracks without issues.  I would agree with Frank’s recommendations though.  My computer is enough to get by, but a quad core would be better.  I end up having to freeze tracks more than I’d like.  I upgraded all my software and interface this year and will go to 8 core early next year (hopefully when prices start to drop!....)

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 03:35 PM
keith.roche
Total Posts:  837
Joined  01-29-2007

Macbook pro, with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 Ghz and 4 GB Ram .
I have used at the most 63 Audio Tracks and 21 MIDI tracks. Goes fine but I really dont want to freeze anything. lol . Always monitor the “VST performance “ in Cubase, so that you can keep things under control.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 09:16 PM
kingbooger
Joined  09-16-2006

So, is my Sony Vaio dual core 2GHZ with 3 GB ram going to be unable to perform effectively? I just bought it! I obviously did not do my homework. I might have to save up for a core 2 quad with 8MB ram. Anyway, when you say “freeze” tracks, you are talking about converting them to audio tracks? I’m sorry if I ask dumb questions, I havn’t even started using the software yet. I ordered a TC Electronic Konnekt 6 Firewire audio interface that comes with Cubase LE4. I will use that until I feel comfortable enough to upgrade. Thanks for your advice.
Here is a link for my laptop:
[url=http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-VGN-NS135E-W-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-White-VGN-NS135E-W/sem/rpsm/oid/225086/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do]http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-VAIO-VGN-NS135E-W-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-White-VGN-NS135E-W/sem/rpsm/oid/225086/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do [/url]
Sorry about the old link, I fixed it. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 03:40 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

It all depends on what you are trying to do.

I have had plenty of success on Cubase on a Dual Core 1.8 GHz machine with only 1Gb of RAM. However, whilst I am running quite a few effects, I am not running multiple VSTis.

If you want to run a heap of VSTis with a whole bunch of effects then you may start to struggle - but then, anyone would!!. In computing it is always best to get a bigger, faster better PC than the minimum spec and I think you will find that what you have is sufficient at least for now. You can have many happy times recording on that machine.

Issues to consider and digets are:

RAM - 64 bit computing is not yet come of age for DAW software - when it does, you will want lots more RAM if you should choose to go that way.

HD size - this is fairly irrelevant now since you can very easily get USB2 or Firewire external drives very cheaply.

HD spin speed - if this is your main recording and main system drive, then it is best to get a high spin speed, high data transfer rate drive. Better still, as suggested just above, have a separate system disk to the one you are actually recording onto. The record disk can then be high speed, high data rate.

Processor - yep - Quad cores are coming down in price and are the latest. Even Octo cores are available. But of course, having all that power available does not always mean your software is design to use it!! So what may on paper look to be faster and better, may end up only giving you a small margin of increase IFF the software is not designed to make use of the extra cores.

Just a few thoughts for you.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 08:12 AM
kingbooger
Joined  09-16-2006

Thanks Wellie, you made me feel better about my laptop. When I was shopping for one, I should have done my homework. I didn’t realize I needed so much power. My nephew made me a cd of his music he made with Renoise and a dinosaur pc. It sounded awesome! I was really inspired. When I saw the minimum requirements for Cubase 4, I thought that this laptop would have more than enough power. They should change their specs maybe. Anyway, I should be getting my firewire interface and Cubase LE4 next week, so I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your replies.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 09:32 AM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

Don’t forget to maximise the operation of your pc for music use.  Processor on background services, no internet connection, virus software disabled, no unnecessary programs open, etc.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 10:19 AM
michaeljoe
Total Posts:  1460
Joined  11-09-2004

Kingbooger,
Your laptop should be fine.  I used a pentium 4 with SL3 for a while and was OK.  There are articles on maximizing XP for audio production out there and I do recommend that highly…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 11:28 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Again, there is no definitive answer to the main question...unless of course someone is trying to work with a computer that is below even the minimum specs. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= It all depends. Someone may find that a computer just meeting specs is fine for what they do, while others who start working with more VSTi(s) on the same machine simply won’t have what it takes. I continue to be amazed by what some artists can achieve even with a machine that is underpowered (and also by what some people can’t do even with a powerful computer). The bottom line is: read first, look at what you are doing, what you plan to, what VSTi(s) you hope to use, then buy what you feel is best. At the same time, in most cases, it’s smart to buy as powerful a computer as you can afford. Even though you may not need everything now, it’s almost certain that as you progress you will discover that was a very wise move. And as Peter suggests tweaks are extremely important for any PC music computer these days.
The sad thing about buying computers these days is that we are on the edge of the new i7 machines being the next standard and on the edge of 64 bit applications etc., but not quite there yet, so decisions when buying a computer today are not easy ones. Hopefully in about 6 months, things will settle a bit more. Anyway, do keep in mind, it’s not always the size of your computer that matters, it’s how you use it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Now where have I heard something similar before? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= .....................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 12:21 PM
kingbooger
Joined  09-16-2006

I really really appreciate all of the responses I have gotten. I have posted elsewhere and I might get one. It’s nice to know that you are all here to help “complete noobs” like me.  Now if that firewire interface would get here already!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 09:31 PM
PeterG
Total Posts:  2052
Joined  01-30-2004

And regarding tweaks for pc music, take a look at the excellent Sound on Sound article here .

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 09, 2009 @ 10:46 PM
kingbooger
Joined  09-16-2006

Thanks PeterG, I did most of those things they suggested. I hope it helps. Won’t know until next week.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ XS Rack, Cubase AI4 and a mac notebook.
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››