mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "GM sounds change after exporting Cubase MIDI file"

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 07:10 PM
litzinger
Total Posts:  5
Joined  01-05-2009

I am new to Cubase and have Cubase Essential 4.  I’ve imported a MIDI file that has like 14 tracks.  It is using what I understand to be General MIDI sounds.  When I play through my computer’s window media player or my MM6 it sounds the same.  The sounds also sound correct after importing into Cubase.  I want to make some basic edits, like removing a couple tracks.  When I export to a new MIDI file, the sounds are now different-> like a drum sounds like a piano.  This holds true even if I don’t make any edits (just import then export). 

I’ve tried adding a generic GM device in the MIDI Device manager, but that didn’t seem to make a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Keep in mind I am new to the software.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 09:39 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: GM sounds change after exporting Cubase MIDI file

To begin have a look at the MIDI file (?) in the Cubase List Editor and see if you see any program change or CC messages that shouldn’t be there. When you export your MIDI tracks, please tell us how and what you are exporting (one track? several tracks at one time?). And of course you might also want to tell us what device is being triggered by your MIDI track (a synth?) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= and if you are using the Dissolve Part function on the MIDI track you import. In other words, it’s not really clear exactly what you are doing each time...........frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2009 @ 05:48 AM
litzinger
Total Posts:  5
Joined  01-05-2009

Re: GM sounds change after exporting Cubase MIDI file

To begin have a look at the MIDI file (?) in the Cubase List Editor and see if you see any program change or CC messages that shouldn’t be there. When you export your MIDI tracks, please tell us how and what you are exporting (one track? several tracks at one time?). And of course you might also want to tell us what device is being triggered by your MIDI track (a synth?) and if you are using the Dissolve Part function on the MIDI track you import. In other words, it’s not really clear exactly what you are doing each time...........frank

1. Open Cubase Essential 4.5.2.
2. File Import Midi file;
3. File Export Midi file; Here is a sample of the information I see for a given track:
Input Routing: All MIDI Inputs
Instrument: HALionOne
Programs: Poly Synth
Drum Map: No Drum Map
Apply Track Preset: Poly Synth

4. Export Inserts and Export Sends are checked in the MIDI export dialog window; Export resolution is 480.
5. When I play the new MIDI file outside of cubase, some sounds are different when played simply through Windows Media Player or my MM6.  I’ll try to add more detail to this.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New user can’t hear any sound!
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››