mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "New user can’t hear any sound!"

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 07:42 AM
markpg
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-05-2009

Hello.

I have just bought and setup a Yamaha Audiogram 3 USB audio interface and installed Cubase AI4. I plugged a guitar into the interface but there is no sound from the speakers. I can’t see what I’ve done wrong. I’ve tried contacting Yamaha - no reply as yet.

OS is Vista 64 Home Premium. Mobo is Asus M2N68-CM. I’m using the onboard sound device, VT1708B High Def Audio 8-channel CODEC.

In Cubase AI4 -> Device Setup I have the ‘Yamaha USB ASIO’ driver selected. This is the driver I downloaded from [url=http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/audio_driver.html]http://www.yamahasynth.com/download/audio_driver.html [/url] and should match my OS, Vista 64.

I installed the driver after first plugging in the Audiogram unit and allowing it to install the default driver, as per the instructions.

Cubase AI4 is v4.5.2.

The speakers are definitely working. And if I strum a chord, the level meters on the Audiogram and in Cubase are activated.

In Control Panel -> Sound, there is a ‘Line 2 - Yamaha USB Audio Driver’ entry, marked as ‘Working’ and with a green tick. If I right click and select ‘Test’, the level meters on the Audiogram 3 are activated, but there is no sound.

I have tried selecting the ‘ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver’ in Cubase Device Setup, doesn’t have any effect. [BTW I am confused about this, the Audiogram documentation suggest that this driver should be used, but the instructions with the driver from the website say use the Yamaha USB driver?]

Finally, the entries for Port System Name table show ‘USB Audio CODEC - 1’ and ‘USB Audio CODEC - 2’ for both ‘In’ and ‘Out’, checked as ‘Visible’ and ‘Active’. [Are these correct? I thought USB Audio CODEC’ was the name of my default driver? Shouldn’t it now be ‘Yamaha USB ASIO’ or similar? I don’t know]

That’s about it. It’s pretty frustrating.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 10:03 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: New user can’t hear any sound!

“I have tried selecting the ‘ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver’ in Cubase Device Setup, doesn’t have any effect”
Nope, it won’t /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= .As clearly indicated by Steinberg, you require a suitable digital audio interface with its own solid ASIO driver for working with audio in Cubase. On board audio devices are not suitable, and in most cases should be disabled. Suitable interfaces are available from companies like RME, M-Audio, Presonus etc. and you would, for example if you had an RME Multiface interface, have to use the “Multiface ASIO” driver in Cubase. Best sort this out before you continue.............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 04:27 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

It is not clear from your post where you have your speakers connected. You want to connect them to the AudioGram3’s Stereo OUT.

If you are seeing the meter/indicators on the AudioGram3 react then it is working. Make sure you connect the speakers to the audio outputs of the AudioGram3… you must connect speakers to the AudioGram3 (try headphones you should hear sound)…

Also make sure that in Cubase AI4 you go to
DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP… > VST Audio System > this is where you select the Yamaha USB ASIO Driver.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/433908-visual_rear_audiogram3_l.jpg

About the driver confusion: You can use the genric driver if all you plan to do is playback audio… but if you are going to record and overdub to an application like Cubase AI4 it is highly recommended that you use the Yamaha USB AUDIO ASIO driver as this will give you much lower latency times and allow you to actually play along with music. The generic computer drivers are only suitable to playback sound. Clearly you want to use it with Cubase so you correctly downloaded the Yamaha driver.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2009 @ 08:04 AM
markpg
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-05-2009

Yes, you’re quite right.

I had thought that Cubase would forward the signal to my PC soundcard. However this does not appear to be possible. [Is it? There are ports in and out that I can select, but it doesn’t seem possible to set it up with the Yamaha and the onboard speakers as both active]

The signal goes in from the Audiogram via USB and back out to the Audiogram via USB.

So as you correctly diagnosed, I need speakers connected to the Audiogram!

A big thank you to both for your replies, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Recording Vocals from ES AD Input to Cubase 4.5.2
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››