mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Seeking assistance Motif ES+MLan+Cubase+Vista 32"

Posted on: January 03, 2009 @ 04:16 PM
Johnny Mac
Total Posts:  9
Joined  01-01-2008

OK, I will try not to be a total newbe

This is a new install issue with CUBASE 4.  I am looking to record and re-mix songs that I have created on the Motif ES to Cubase and then to mix down to an audio CD.  I am pretty frustrated but I will spare you the editorializing,,,

Hardware:

Motif ES 8
MLAN 16E
Gateway P6831SX
Intel Core Duo T5550 CPU i.8 GHZ
3.0 Gig RAM

Software
CUBASE 4.0
MLan Driver Setup 1.4 MLan tools 2.0 vers 1.3.3
Yamaha Studio Manager
ES Multi-part editor
ES Voice Editior
Other editors from PLG boards

I have read the Motif manual, the Getting Started guide from Motifator, and the manuals that came with CUBASE 4. 

I cannot seem to get the CUBASE 4 program to sound back through the motif.  It doesn’t seem to be recording any data, whether audio or midi, but I can see the level indicators respond to inputs from the keyboard with local control on or off.  I have checked the monitor button on the track inspector.

My sequence for start up is as follows:

Connect the firewire cable from MLAn (in the ES) to Computer.

Turn on Motif ES
Turn on computer.
MLAn Driver starts on boot up

Graphic Patchbay has autoconnect.  Have tried with this feature, or, have also deleted the connections (Audio, Midi and Wordclock) and reconnected manually.  But my understanding is that once configured the autoconnect should take care of my connections. 

Yamaha Studio Manager:  Don’t know if I need Studio Manager but I opened it and set up the input and output bus settings.

Open Cubase 4.

Select “new project” / empty.
Configure VST bus settings (F4) (not sure what I want here but I have tried a few different configurations.  Most of my Motif ES songs have 8 - 10 tracks.

At this point I cannot seem to get anything to record. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Johnny Mac

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2009 @ 07:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Seeking assistance Motif ES+MLan+Cubase+Vista 32

Let’s start with your software. You are at least a year out of date with some of the versions and on others you gave no versions… but to make sure you have success let’s make sure you have the latest versions of everything.

First: Cubase 4.0 will not run some of the things you are attempting (you should be at verson 4.5.2) - Please go to the following site and download and install 4.5.2

[url=http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=883&L=1]http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=883&L=1 [/url]

Next: mLAN is bunch of different interrelated componets - that come in a package. When referring to mLAN and its version… the version you downloaded from [url=http://www.mlancentral.com]http://www.mlancentral.com [/url] is the version package which we assume is version 1.6.3

This package places lots of different components on your computer to make various things work (MIDI, audio, etc.,) rather than identify each component we simply refer to the entire package as listed on mlancentral. The current package for Windows XP and Vista 32-bit is version 1.6.3 dated 07/11/08.

Next: Yamaha Studio Manager for Windows XP and Vista 32 should be version 2.1.7 Studio Manager 2.1.7
Motif ES Editor (Multi) should be version 2.2.0 Motif ES Multi v2.2.0
Motif ES Editor (Voice) should be version 2.2.0 Motif ES Voice v2.2.0

Just so you know, you do not open Studio Manager outside of Cubase. So when booting up your computer here is a good scenario for how to proceed:

Turn on your Motif ES
Turn on your computer
Start mLAN, if you do not have it set to AUTO ON.
Once mLAN has started - this configures your computer hardware.... then and only then, lauch CUBASE…

During the start up of Cubase, you will see the splash screen, and in the lower left corner you can see Cubase surveying your computer for what hardware is available. This is where it must find the connected hardware - which includes mLAN and the Motif ES. So it is logical to always start the mLAN Driver prior to starting any software that will be using it.

Also just so you know, once you have configured your Graphic Patchbay it will return the next time you turn on your computer. The setup that you create will remain until you change it or RESET ALL. You do not have to reconfigure your mLAN setup each time. You do not have to use the AUTO CONNECTOR - the last configuration persists. This means it returns automatically and you do not have to think about it again (unless you want to change something).

Once Cubase has started go to DEVICES > DEVICE SETUP…
Here you can configure your basic setup. Make sure that in the MIDI Folder > MIDI PORT SETUP > that the “mLAN MIDI IN” option is the only one marked in the “IN ‘ALL INPUTS’” column. This is the column where you are telling Cubase where to expect incoming music performance (note-on data, controllers, etc.). You only want “mLAN MIDI IN” selected as it is the MIDI Port that is sending note-on information and your controllers.

Make sure that “ASIO mLAN” is selected in the option: “VST AUDIO SYSTEM”

Also in Cubase under the DEVICE heading you will see “STUDIO MANAGER” listed as one of the options. This is where you start Studio Manager. It runs “inside” Cubase. So there are no MIDI port option for you to set for Studio Manager. It uses the MIDI port options that Cubase has setup with mLAN… When you start Studio Manager this way (the proper way) you will notice that there is no “MIDI SETTINGS” tab for you to have to setup for STUDIO MANAGER.

However, when you ADD the Multi and Voice Editors and then launch them, you can setup the MIDI Ports that they will be using by going to the SETUP option within each Editor.

By running Studio Manager “inside” Cubase, your Motif ES setting will automatically be saved when you SAVE your Cubase Project file. And they can be automatically restored when next you open the Project file.

We are not sure what you want to record. You can record MIDI to MIDI tracks… you can record audio to AUDIO Tracks.

Once you start a Cubase Project: You can Right Click or go to PROJECT and ADD TRACK.
If you add a MIDI track set the MIDI IN to IN ALL INPUTS, and the MIDI OUT to “mLAN MIDI OUT” and you will be able to record the Motif ES.

If you add an AUDIO TRACK you will need to ensure that the AUDIO routing is taken care of…

Go to DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > Click on the INPUTS tab.
A VST CONNECTION INPUT can be set to AUDIO DEVICE = ASIO mLAN… and the DEVICE PORT can be any of 16 audio buses coming from your mLAN16E.
mLAN 1 = assignable output 1 from the Motif ES (as1)
mLAN 2 = assignable output 2 from the Motif ES (as2)
and so on through to
mLAN 14 = assignable output 14 from the Motif ES.
mLAN 15 = main LEFT OUTPUT
mLAN 16 = main RIGHT OUTPUT

These assignments can be made in the Motif ES by going to the following screen:
While in SONG or PATTERN mode
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select button []1-[16] to select PART parameters.
Press [F2] OUTPUT
Here you can select the audio output assignment for each of the 16 PARTS in the Motif ES. You can set them to the assignable output in odd/even pairs or as mono outputs. So “as1&2” would be a stereo pair.

The VST CONNECTIONS > OUTPUT tab should have a STEREO BUS with ASIO DEVICE = ASIO mLAN and the DEVICE PORT going to “mLAN 01” and “mLAN 02”. These will send Cubase audio back to the Motif ES where it will arrive as a stereo pair to AUDIO IN “mLAN1” and will be routed to your speakers connected to the main LEFT and RIGHT output jacks on the back panel of the Motif ES.

At this point we think we have given you enough to work on. Get back to us when you have confirmed the versions and the launch procedure. Then we can go through some basic record scenarios.

Hope that helps get you started.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2009 @ 07:25 AM
Johnny Mac
Joined  01-01-2008

Re: Seeking assistance Motif ES+MLan+Cubase+Vista

Thanks Phil. 

First off, I cannot believe how quickly you got back to me on a weekend night (I believe you are in NYC)!  You are something else.  I am not the most patient guy around and you probably saved Steinburg the sale.

BTW no one at guitar center where I purchased the CUBASE 4 mentioned anything about needing to upgrade on-line. 

Anyway, I followed your instructions and have been able to get the Cubase program to record and sound back through the MOTIF ES.

So I am ready to learn whatever you can teach me regarding the basic record scenarios.  As far as what I am trying to do, I am trying to record my songs that I’ve created on the ES platform to audio tracks on the CUBASE 4 program in order to better edit them and hopefully re-mix and master to the point where they sound good enough to create a demo CD / or MP3s in order to better market myself. 

Also some questions:

Are the PLG voice editors obsolete as well?  (PLG 100 VH, PLG 150 AP, VL, DX, AN, PC.) Do I need to go online and refresh these programs in order to use with CUBASE 4 / Studio Manager.

In the Device Setup on CUBASE in the Midi Folder there are numerous ports setup mLAN MIDI IN, mLAN MIDI IN (2), - mLAN MIDI IN (17).  Is this correct?

Will the Virtual Instrument Voices in CUBASE play through the ES Tone Generator?

When I record my songs, is it useful to record the two main audio outputs from the Motif ES as well as the individual parts?

When my Laptop is plugged into the power supply, there is a noticeable hum going back to the Motif ES / Playback Speakers.  I have seen mention of a fix for this but cannot re-locate.  Can you assist?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2009 @ 07:41 AM
Johnny Mac
Joined  01-01-2008

Continuing to play with this, it appears connectivity to the es Audio signal is intermittent.  Also the progress line stops and starts during recording.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 08:06 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Are the PLG voice editors obsolete as well? (PLG 100 VH, PLG 150 AP, VL, DX, AN, PC.) Do I need to go online and refresh these programs in order to use with CUBASE 4 / Studio Manager.

The PLG150-series Editors have not been updated to a Vista version… unfortunately.

In the Device Setup on CUBASE in the Midi Folder there are numerous ports setup mLAN MIDI IN, mLAN MIDI IN (2), - mLAN MIDI IN (17). Is this correct?

Yes. In that folder under MIDI PORT SETUP, you want to mark only the item that is your controller in the “IN ALL INPUTS” column… clear the marks in this column - only select the item or items you use to send MIDI note-on data to Cubase. If you leave others marked you may notice that pressing buttons will play notes or open window (not cool).

Will the Virtual Instrument Voices in CUBASE play through the ES Tone Generator?

No. Only Motif ES sounds are generated by the ES tone generator. A Virtual Instrument presumably has its own tone generator. You can use your Motif ES keybed to trigger and control VSTi. The sound of the VSTi will be routed to your speakers connected to the Motif ES audio outputs.

You can setup the Motif ES as a REMOTE Device. 

When I record my songs, is it useful to record the two main audio outputs from the Motif ES as well as the individual parts?

That is up to you. However, realize that when assign a PART to an assignable output it is taken out of the main mix - and is routed exclusively on the assignable output.

When my Laptop is plugged into the power supply, there is a noticeable hum going back to the Motif ES / Playback Speakers. I have seen mention of a fix for this but cannot re-locate. Can you assist?

There is a great article in the Q&A section in Sound-On-Sound magazine (December 2008) on ground problems with laptops.

Depending on where you are, it can be as simple as a 3-to-2 prong adapter for your laptop’s power supply or getting a transformer-isolating DI box…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sampling problems
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››