mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sampling problems"

Posted on: January 03, 2009 @ 02:36 PM
DaHizzle
Total Posts:  73
Joined  04-08-2007

Hey guys,
I am using Cubase Studio 4.5.2 with a Motif ES 6.

Okay I’m trying to learn how to sample on Cubase and I am having a bit of trouble.  Basically, as of right now I am simply trying to select a portion of an audio file (using the range selection in the sample editor) and then I want to make that selection in sync with the metronome.

I have went through the tutorials and it says to select the area, and click “slice and close” which I do but all that does is brings me back to the audio file, now as a audio part.  It doesn’t just give me the portion.

The manual seems to be quite above my head in terms of how to do this.  First question I would have is how to do this basic action described above, and the next question is where might there be a basic entry level instructions on how to do the basics with the sample editor??

Thanks guys

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 03, 2009 @ 09:34 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: Sampling problems

Click here or
here .... for a perfect complement to Cubase...all versions. Wave editing is the basis for these programs...............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2009 @ 07:43 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Frank, I may be tempted to add a wavelab edition to my software collection - I have been increasingly frustrated with not being able to do Red Book authoring!.

However, to do what DaHizzle wants to do - whilst these would be superior tools, it should nevertheless be possible to put it together in Cubase.

Question - is the audio you want to cut to the tempo? If so, all you need to do is drag it around until it is in time with the click.
If not, this is I guess where your difficulty is coming.
I woudl cut the audio to the desired phrase length and then use the time stretch tool - is this included in Studio? If its still a little loose in the groove I would use audio quantisation.

Is this what you are attempting

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2009 @ 09:04 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Wellie, you ‘hit the nail on the head’ when you mention tempo and time stretching etc. (Sadly though Cubase has nothing like Elastic Time in Pro Tools). One must become familiar with those when trying to work with audio files in Cubase. But also, to be honest, I’ve never really enjoyed attempting to do serious editing audio in Cubase even though it does have some audio editing features. And if audio editing in Cubase was what it could be, Wavelab would never have been developed or become THEE wave editing and burning software for those using PCs.
Audio editing in Cubase is also non destructive and one can always undo changes made. For some, that may be what they want, but for me, the editing capabilites in Cubase are also way too limited. But in defense of Cubase, creating hit points, stretching audio etc. may be exactly what someone may wish to do, and perhaps only that. So there are pros and cons, even though Cubase has limitations.
PersonallyI’ve never had a problem with ‘destructive’ wave editing, simply because I always work on a copy of the original file. I’ve also found that seldom if ever, do I have to revert to the original after editing. But that’s just the way I work. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=
In any case, Wavelab thrives for many reasons, and now I just automatically go to it for editing and burning. I love and utilize many of the audio meters and analyzers it has and even do the final dithering to 16 bits in Wavelab. Wavelab also has mastering capabilities and of course many of the same plug-ins as are available in Cubase. For CD burning via Wavelab, the Plextor line of burners (e.g. PX-800A) have been shown to be ideal, but it works well with many other brands too. It’s also important to note, and something one quickly discovers, that while Cubase is superb for recording, mixing, sequencing etc., Wavelab is far better than Cubase when it comes to editing audio. So, if you feel it meets your needs, I doubt that you would be disappointed if you were to add Wavelab to your arsenal. Check it out sometime. Cheerio....oh, and Happy New Year, mate!.................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 08:24 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Cubase certainly allows you to either build a tempo to your audio or adjust the audio to tempo.

In your AUDIO POOL, (in the AUDIO Folder) mark the audio clip in the “Straighten Up” column… the audio clip will now adjust to the Project Tempo Track.

Conversely, you can use the Time Warp tool to move beats to match the audio. It is not clear what it is you are working with and what you want to achieve.

You may want to post your question over at [url=http://www.steinbergusers.com]http://www.steinbergusers.com [/url] for help with adjusting your audio to meet a tempo or adjusting tempo to match your audio.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 10:31 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

You can indeed do some types of audio editing in Cubase, even if you do have Wavleab. In order to learn more, one excellent way to learn these techniques without relying on someone on a forum to teach you is to subscribe to the excellent Sound on Sound Magazine. In fact, there is a very good article in the current January, 2009 edition which would be of help.
In SOS November 2007, John Walden covered how to use the time-stretching and Audio Warp functions in Cubase 4. You can now download that article from the SOS web site, subscriber or not. But no sooner had that issue hit the shelves than Steinberg decided to release version 4.1, which brought a significant overhaul of these functions in an attempt to make them easier to use. Of course, there are still several articles and tutorial videos floating about on the Web that instruct you how to do things in earlier incarnations of Cubase 4. But if you managed to download the update without also separately downloading the updated manuals you’ll probably be very confused. So before continuing, I can’t stress enough how important it is to keep the Cubase manuals in step with your software updates.
The latest SOS article investigates the new features, and takes you through what’s changed, and it covers a few potential applications for Hitpoints and Audio Warp along the way. Definitely worth a read, and covers things we simply can’t expand upon on a forum............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Cubase AI4 Download
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››