mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Transfer MO8 Midi Loops (Arps) into Sonar?"

Posted on: January 03, 2009 @ 06:47 AM
Octaveman
Total Posts:  311
Joined  12-17-2005

Hi All

Happy New Year!

I have a question regarding the possibility of tranferring Arps (midi loops) from the MO8 into my PC (hard drive) or DAW (Sonar 7PE).

I would like to create a library of the MO8 Arps (especially the drum loops) and save them to my hard drive so that I can “drop” them into a Sonar project (from within the “Loop Explorer” of Sonar) whenever I want to without searching for them on my MO8.

Is this possible?

To somehow gain access to the arps, or loops within the MO8 and transfer them to my hard drive?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Octaveman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 04, 2009 @ 03:33 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: Transfer MO8 Midi Loops (Arps) into Sonar?

Check out the following article from the Motif ES Behind the Manual page:[list] Phrase Factory Tips and Tricks for Sonar [/list:u]While written for the Motif ES, many of the articles on this page apply to the MO6/MO8 as well.

Regards,

Brad Weber/forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 08:22 AM
Octaveman
Joined  12-17-2005

Thanks Brad

I have executed this procedure more than once in the past and it has been very useful in my music production process, so thanks for the remider.

However, what I’m trying to do now isw different, and is something that would probably be best understood by a Sonar user or someone familiar with the Sonar 7PE interface.

There is a part of the Sonar interface called the “Loop Explorer”. You can use this section of the interface to “drop” loops onto various tracks of the “Sonar Track Pane”.
So the Loop Explorer makes available all the midi and audio data available on any of your hard drives.

What I want to know is:

Is it possible to take all (or some) of the “loops” that are in the MO8, and transfer them to my hard drive (as if they were part of a “Loop CD collection).

Hope this clarifies what I’m trying to do here.

Thanks,

Octaveman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 08:55 AM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

I’m pretty sure that there is no automated way to transfer all of the arpeggios to another application. I think you must manually transfer them using the procedure referenced in my previous post.

Regards,

Brad Weber

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 06, 2009 @ 04:40 AM
Octaveman
Joined  12-17-2005

Thanks Brad!

I’m always trying to create a more streamlined approach to my music production workflow.

Thanks for your time.

Octaveman

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 06:54 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Arpeggio Drum data that is in the MO8 are based on the PRESET DRUM patterns found in the PATTERN mode of the sequencer. For example, if you call up a blank PATTERN
Press [F4] PATCH
And patch in preset drum phrase DR1: 039 CoolFnA1
You will hear that it is very much the same data as the Drum Arpeggio: Dr/Pc 037: CoolFnkA

But in general arpeggios come to life with how they are used and altered. While Drum arpeggios play “fixed note” patterns, they really become useful when you start manipulating how they playback… for example, with the Real Time Loop Remix function or with simply changing the Note Limit Ranges…

You could take the time to transfer all that data to an external sequencer (I can’t imagine actually doing that) or you could spend the energy actually working that data in different ways inside the MO.

As an example: Look at a drum groove for its basic feel (attitude) then see how you can isolate different components of it. The MO has som extremely useful tools in terms of Drum Track Construction - you can deconstruct portions of it and reassemble them into custom grooves.

You can use the DIVIDE DRUM TRACK function to isolate different drums, say you like the hihat pattern of a particular drum phrase and you want to combine with the kick and snare of another.

Or say you like the percussion from a particular drum phrase and you just want to grab that portion.. The DIVIDE DRUM TRACK Job inconjunction with the MIX PHRASE job can allow you to recombine the data in various ways.

Loop remix lets you create unbelievable variations. The NOTE LIMIT parameter can isolate just the sounds you want… There are so many ways to spend the time and effort… but transferring the data that already exists just seems like a tedious chore that when you actually get the data over there, you now don’t have the same tools to manipulate the data.

Until you exhaust what you already have on board the MO, I’d recommend getting into those powerful Sequencer JOBS. Now even if you prefer working with a computer DAW software, not a problem… many do… all I’m saying is when you are putting together a composition, the MO is actually designed so that you can use the entire PATTERN mode to construct just your drum grooves.

When you think about it like this you start to realize that while you are doing your linear instrument sequencing in your computer DAW, you can use the MO like it was a very (very) sophisticated multi-track drum machine.

just some thoughts… hope it helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 09:06 AM
Octaveman
Joined  12-17-2005

Thanks Bad_Mister!

Wow! That was really a helpful way of loooking at the useful tools inside the MO, and how they can be applied to actually in the long run, be a way of not only spending production time more efficiently, but also being a way of increasing the creativity level in my production workflow.

As you were explaining the benefits of working inside the MO to achieve these diferent results, I suddenly realized that since I would be working in “Pattern” mode on the MO, I could “save” these edits to my flash drive and create a whole set of my very own “User Drum Patches” there if I wanted to! (correct?)

Bad_Mister, you’re an inrcedible source of information and inspiration on this forum. Not to slight any of the other very helpful people that are invaluable to the success of this forum being a place where we can totally rely on recieving the most informative, and up to date suggestions available, you seem to have an approach to these (or at least, “my") questions and problems that always go beyond the normal “fix”.

I don’t know if you teach Phil, but if you do, you must be one awesome person to study with!

I’ll get to work with these suggestions immediately since I can definitely see the benifits. Thanks Bro!

Peace,

Octaveman

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New Firmware or Updates??
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››