mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "switching between voice, performance via MIDI"

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 02:10 PM
bodine_jethro
Total Posts:  37
Joined  04-21-2008

I am having some trouble consistently switching between Voice Mode and Performance mode via MIDI.
I use a DigiTech programmable MIDI controller to call up my patches. In some songs, I need only Voice patches but in other songs, I need Performance patches.
I use the MIDI sysex command
F0 43 10 7F 00 0A 00 01 0m F7, where m=0 for Voice Mode and m=1 for Performance mode.
If I am in a given mode, my patch change commands work fine. If, however, I am in Voice mode and then I send the above mode change command to go to Performance mode, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Going from Performance mode to voice mode always works.
The unit acts like the command is getting there too fast. Has anyone else come across this problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 05:07 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: switching between voice, performance via MIDI

When you say the command doesn’t work, what is the specific indication that the mode change didn’t work? Is it that a program Change command immediately following the mode change command is not executed properly, or does the rack unit actually stay in the previous mode?

Brad

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2008 @ 04:44 PM
bodine_jethro
Total Posts:  37
Joined  04-21-2008

Re: switching between voice, performance via MIDI

Hi Brad,

It is actually both. The unit stays in Voice mode and some patch change happens, but not the one I request. The unit will continue to display the previous Voice patch while an entirely different patch is playing and the Voice mode indicator LED stays on. All of this happens despite the fact that I have given it a command to find a patch in the Performance Bank.

I was successful in doing a work-around. Here is what works. I send the mode change SysEx command (F0 43 10 7f 00 0A 01 01 F7), then I send eighteen Note Off commands (82 00 00) and then I send the Patch Change data (B2 00 3F, B2 20 40, C2 xx).
It looks like sending all of the dummy Note Off commands gives the unit time to switch modes. I haven’t experimented to see how many Note Off commands are required to give the unit enough time to respond but eighteen seems to do the job.

[ Ignore ]