mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "MO8 Sample Question"

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 10:58 AM
raykeyz
Total Posts:  32
Joined  11-06-2008

For bad mister and anyone who can help me i have problems loading my MO8 sample on Cubase this is the problem…

Lets say i recorded a piano midi track on my Cubase AI4 then after recording i want to play the midi track using the sample of “Full Grand” is it possible? what connections do i use… currently this is what i have.

here is my gear..

PC:
Windows XP
Intel Board
Core 2 Duo 3.0 Ghz.
4 Gig Ram
Cubase Studio 4

Hardwares:
Yamaha MW8 CX Mixer
Yamaha HS50M Monitor Speaker
Yamaha MO8
Yamaha Motif-Rack ES

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/8159/studioze8.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/studioze8.jpg/1/w480.png

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 06:08 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

Re: MO8 Sample Question

The terminology your using…

There are pretty much agreed upon terms and then each manufacturer has it’s own version.

Sample is when you record audio, you sample it.
A sampler plays these recorded “samples” mapped to keys.
A sample library is created and sold to be played in a sampler.
The mo has a set soundset, or group of samples inside it that can not be changed that it uses to generate the voices (also know as - patches in other brands)

So you don’t want to record the audio output of your mo, you want to change which voices that sound when you play? Just change the voice, the midi will make whatever voice you have selected sound.

Your able to playback midi on the mo? Or was that the question?

If it is then the track where you recorded the midi, if it’s set to channel 1, and it’s output is set to the mo, then mo should play with any voice you set it to.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2008 @ 09:58 AM
raykeyz
Joined  11-06-2008

nice.. now its working fine… what i did is i put the same channel so that i can playback any sound from my MO8…

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/818/cubasech6.th.jpg

now if i want to change that into audio track what i usually do is export it into audio like this
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8330/exportmw5.th.jpg
and this....
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2493/pooltrackuh8.th.jpg
after i do that… the midi track will become audio track

with VST as a sound engine whatever settings i did will become just as it is…
now i understand that MO8 can be used as a sound engine or whatever term please correct me...it can playback the midi file but what if i want to mixdown the sound of MO8 into an audio track is that possible?

or what process can i achieve this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2008 @ 02:12 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

If you want the sound of the MO without the MO connected to your computer then you will need to record and audio track of the MO. Simply connect the audio output of the MO to your computer’s sound card input and setup Cubase to record an audio track rather than a MIDI track.

Regards,

Brad Weber http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/295252-santa_sml.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2008 @ 11:49 PM
raykeyz
Joined  11-06-2008

thanks brad… ive been doin that already but the thing is i have some recorded midi materials that have been previously transferred to audio using my VST’s this time however i want those midi files to have a “MO” sounds or samples or whatever instead of the VST soundset or samples.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2008 @ 05:59 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

It might be worth your time to hook up the mo as an external instrument in cubase.

In VSTconnections, on the external instruments tab you add the mo then select the input buss where your audio from the mo comes in.
Thats it.

Then when you play a midi file select the external instrument as the destination. When you do a mixdown it will be done in real time automatically, so cubase will record the mo for you.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2008 @ 10:07 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

You have Cubase Studio 4, so you will not be able to use the Cubase “Audio Mixdown” function for external synthesizers.

The Audio Mixdown function allows you to establish a pathway so that your Cubase MIDI Track’s Output travels to the target tone engine; then the tone engine interprets the MIDI data and creates audio which now can be routed back to Cubase on an audio connection.

This is what happens inside the computer when you are using a software synthesizer. You have a MIDI track that is routed to the softsynth’s tone engine; it interprets the MIDI data; creates the audio that is now routed to a Cubase audio lane.

The Audio Mixdown function can take that audio return and “render” it as an Audio Track.

Cubase 4 (the top-of-the-line version Cubase 4) has a function that allows this same type of routing for external synthesizers… this is what Tacman7 is referring to, it is found as a tab in the VST CONNECTION area: “External Instrument"… but this is only found in the top-of-the-line version.

Cubase 4 allows you to route MIDI from a Track out via your MIDI interface to any external synthesizer, that external synthesizer interprets the MIDI data - creates audio, which then can be route back as a RETURN via your audio interface.

Cubase 4 has the ability to automatically compensate for any time delay. And can not only do this with “MIDI > External hardware > Audio” but can do it with “Audio > External hardware > Audio”, which means you also can route audio tracks out via your audio interface to an external processor, compensate for the time it takes to convert D-to-A and A-to-D, and RETURN audio back to your Cubase 4 Project.

This is very high-end stuff, and really separates Cubase 4 from the other versions. The ability to have both EXTERNAL INSTRUMENT routing and EXTERNAL EFFECT routing available… this means any classic gear you own, be it a synthesizer or a classic effect processor, can be used with full delay compensation in your project. It also means you can use Audio Mixdown, FREEZE and even process your external synthesizer with software VST Effects.

But to utilize either of the “EXTERNAL” functions with AUDIO MIXDOWN, FREEZE, etc., you must have an “audio interface” and Cubase 4. Because you are routing signal out and RETURNING it. It is the same as routing to any VSTi except the “i” (the instrument) is real, not virtual.

Okay, that said,… let’s look at what you CAN do:

You have an MG mixer as your USB audio interface. If you want to create an audio track from MIDI data recorded in Cubase Studio 4, you would isolate the MIDI TRACK (Solo it) send that data to the MO8; have the MO8 sound that you want playback the MIDI data; route the output of that through the MG mixer and setup a Cubase Studio 4 “VST CONNECTIONS > INPUT” to receive the data.

Next create an Audio Track to receive information from the VST CONNECTIONS INPUT… and record the data.

You cannot use the AUDIO MIXDOWN function for external instruments in Cubase Studio 4, so you simply do the same thing manually:
Route MIDI to the tone engine, route the returning audio to an audio track in your software.

The MIDI track plays back; the AUDIO track records the returning audio.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2008 @ 07:51 PM
raykeyz
Joined  11-06-2008

thanks for the replies, ill surely try what badmister posted and tacman’s suggestion..  however i wonder if it will work on SX3?  ill keep you guys posted so that future users or beginners like me will learn also from these posts…

again thanks for the input guys… ‘later

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2008 @ 09:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

SX3??? Didn’t you say you had Cubase Studio 4?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 02, 2009 @ 12:41 PM
raykeyz
Joined  11-06-2008

yes.. and yes… i have Cubase SX3 Cubase AI4 and Cubase Studio 4…

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ logic and mo 6
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››