mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Knobs dont work…"

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 07:38 PM
Jaytim3
Total Posts:  0
Joined  12-19-2008

Hi ive started making beats with the motif xs, using a MPC to sequence everything. I have been trying to change the volume and reverb of a synth lead when making a beat but nothing happens when turning on the knobs, i read in the manual that u have to use a sound in the user bank to change anything. Tried in Voice and multi section but nothing happends.
What must i do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 10:59 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Knobs dont work...

There is really nothing special you have to do to activate the Knobs… however, recognize that operating the Knobs may have little or no effect on some Voices.

However, in MULTI mode the Knob labeled Volume sends cc007 Channel Volume and this will affect the selected PART. The Part that is currently selected is shown in the upper right corner of the screen.

You posted in the Motif-Rack XS forum, but you say you are using the Motif XS with an MPC… so it is not clear to us if you have the Motif XS (keyboard) or the Motif-Rack XS unit.

Either way you must have the MIDI OUT of the XS connected to your sequencer. If you do own the Rack XS, then it would be very important to tell us how you have the units connected and if you are using a keyboard controller or not. And how you are merging the MIDI OUT of the Motif-Rack XS with the MIDI OUT of your keyboard controller… This could be the reason you are not getting any results.

You also so the “Knobs dont work...”
Is that true… when you adjust the Knob 5 (when the top row of functions) “Volume” - does not the Motif Rack XS change volume?

If that is the case let us know.

We are not familiar with the MPC but assume it will record data like any sequencer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 06:50 AM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

Wopps sorry man forgot to write that it is a rack…
Well My gear is connected liek this:

From the rack i have MidiIn to MidiOut of the MPC then i have a midi keyboards MidiOut to MidiIn of the MPC.
My midikeyboard is Novation Remote SL61 btw
Also i havent synced them togheter maybe thats the reason?

And non of the 5 knobs do any effect..

The MPC only records midi when it comes to using desktops.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 08:52 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

And non of the 5 knobs do any effect..

Please do the following experiment and tell us the results:
Call up USER MULTI 128: Space Gallery
Press the AUDITION button
You should hear a spacy sound
Press the [SELECT] button so that the top row of Knob functions is selected: “Cutoff, Resonance, FEG Depth, Portamento, and Volume”
Turn KNOB 5 counterclockwise; the screen will indicate the current Volume. As you turn it down the Volume should decrease.

Do the same experiment in VOICE mode: Call up any VOICE and use KNOB 5 to adjust the VOLUME.

Let us know.

The MPC only records midi when it comes to using desktops.

? what does this mean?
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 09:51 AM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

Did what u wrote and still nothing happends with the volume, in multi or voice

even when its on 0 i still hear the sound as loud as it was before..

We are not familiar with the MPC but assume it will record data like any sequencer.

u replied with that so i replied back and said that the MPC’s only records midi data.

BTW has anyone had the same problem before?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 10:16 AM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

Also i noticed that when i record something and try to fix the volume, the volume goes up back to where it was, to the highest volume 127, when i press play on the MPC.

One more thing.. i am able to fix the volume on the MPC after recording using velocity, when im recording with the accustic sounds like piano and guitar. But when it comes to organs and synth it stays the same volume.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2008 @ 07:33 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Organ sounds (like organ in the real world) do not respond to velocity. Organs are always fixed in response to velocity… it matter not how hard you hit the keys on an organ; Organists use a voume pedal to control the output level.

The Piano, whose full name is pianoforte), was the first touch-sensitive keyboard - the name in Italian translates to “soft-loud”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2008 @ 11:44 AM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

OK did u find out what my problem is?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 29, 2008 @ 01:17 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

No… I suggest that if you cannot adjust the volume using the knobs, that you disconnect your MIDI configuration to your MPC (I cannot tell if you have this configured correctly or not) but if your knobs are not adjusting the volume or the Cutoff and Resonance of the filter you need to determine that, first - separate from your MPC configuration.

Once you have determined if your Motif-Rack XS is working or not, then attempt to configure it with MIDI with your other devices.

So disconnect all MIDI cables to your Motif-Rack XS.
Connect the audio outputs of the Unit to your sound system
Press the [AUDITION] button so that a VOICE is playing the Voice demo over and over.
Use the [SELECT] button to select the top row of functions

Turn the knobs…

If still nothing: do the following:
Press [UTILITY]
Navigate to the FACTORY SET option
Press [ENTER]
Press [ENTER]
Try the test above again.

Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 02:48 PM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

OK i disconnected the midi cables.
Tried the Space Gallery sound with the audition button, tried to use the volume knob.. still nothing happens…
Maybe i have messed around with the configurisation cause i tried to explore alittle.

maybe format the whole thing?
I do have some saves in the multi so i dont really want to format it?
Any suggestion on what i should do?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 05, 2009 @ 04:09 PM
SpongeBob
Total Posts:  1588
Joined  11-19-2006

In Utility, go thru all the modes and make sure that all instances of ‘Local control” are set to ON. If you have connectivity to your computer, you can save each of your multi’s as individual files. Choose file > save as for each. If you do this, then perform the factory reset as Bad Mister noted before.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 13, 2009 @ 05:10 PM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

OK it works now!
But i noticed that when i configure the volume on a sound and when i press play on my MPC the value of the volume goes back to the original volume..

Any ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 14, 2009 @ 07:42 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Basic MIDI stuff probably… a MIDI tone engine will only do what it is told. So obviously there is a message in your track data that is telling it to return to the original Volume.

This could be a Control Change message or it could be a Program Change message. You need to check out the documentation on how to edit data in your sequencer’s event list.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 19, 2009 @ 12:52 PM
Jaytim3
Joined  12-19-2008

I talked to some guys in another forum and they wrote about assigning cc07 in the motif. I Looked through the manual and searched through my motif rack but didnt find anything.
where do i find it?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 21, 2009 @ 12:39 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Control Change 007 is not something you need to assign. If you send it from your controller or from your sequencer it will control the volume of the receiving PART. It is a MIDI channel message. This means that if you send cc007 on MIDI channel 12, the PART of your Motif Rack XS MULTI set to receive on MIDI channel 12 will respond.

This is how you set the Channel Volume (that’s the name of cc007 - Channel Volume).  The front panel knob on the Motif Rack XS labeled “Volume” sends cc007 when turn it while in MULTI mode.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ voice elements
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››