mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Motif Voices on Computer"

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 09:51 AM
ryguymotif
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-28-2008

I have a Yamaha Motif Classic 8 (purchased about 5 years ago) that I am using with Pro Tools 7 on a Macbook Pro (both purchased about 6 months ago.)

Because I recently went to college, I am afraid that I am often separated from my Motif.  However, I would still like to sequence midi data and play them back with the voices on the Motif.

1. Is there any way to have my computer, which I have with me at college, trigger patches that are identical to those on the Motif without the Motif hardware?

2. Is my terminology correct?  My understanding is that I am searching for a software sampler that can play back the voices of the Motif.  It seems that my alternative to a sofwtware sampler (as a standalone program or a plug-in for pro-tools) is a sound library, which I believe is the term for a set of patches that can be played back with other sampler programs, such as Digidesign Structure or Propellerhead Reason’s NN-19 or NN-XT.  This is different from a software synthesizer, which models analog synthesizers with digital technology, and this is also different from a virtual instrument, which has high-quality patch data for only one specific type of instrument.

While I would imagine that I can use a sampler to manually play every note of every patch on the Motif to create my own samples on my computer, obviously that would be too time-consuming.  I think I am asking for a way either to transfer the sounds from the Motif to the computer or to copy them to my computer from a CD or to download them from the internet.

3. If this is possible, is it possible to do the same for performances that I have created on the Motif?  Can I copy performance data over to my computer system to be played in Pro Tools?

4. Even if there is no way to effect the parameters of the sounds in the computer (for example the effect levels, the volume of each wave form, etc.) is it possible to copy the raw sounds in.  (I think they are just wav files.)

5.  If none of this is possible, what is my best alternative?  Again, the objective is to find a cheap (or ideally free) virtual sound module--a way to play midi patches by my computer and a library of those patches--so that I can trigger sounds from my midi data that are comparable in quality to the Motif’s.  I currently have the NN-19 sampler in Propellerhead Reason and Digidesign Structure Free, which are the free versions of those samplers, and they only come with a few patches.  Are there sound libraries that I can import into those?

Thank you very much for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 12:13 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: Motif Voices on Computer

1. Is there any way to have my computer, which I have with me at college, trigger patches that are identical to those on the Motif without the Motif hardware?

No… if that was possible how would Yamaha make any money for their large R&D investment in the Motif? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt=

While it is possible to sample the output of the Motif and then attempt to recreate the voices of the Motif in a computer based software tone generator, you need to understand that the sound generated by the Motif is a function, not only of the samples, but also the envelope generators (Amplitude, Filter, and Pitch) as well as the filters, effects and other Yamaha specific sound processing algorithms. I’m not saying that you can’t get some interesting voices via sampling, but in order to duplicate the Motif’s sound you would need to sample not only multiple ranges or the notes for each voice, but also various velocities and effects settings… a daunting task at best. You might have some success with simpler acoustic voices that don’t make use of a lot of the capabilities of the Motif’s tone generator, but in general, I’m skeptical on the likelihood of a successful outcome for your efforts.

2. Is my terminology correct?

Yes.

3. If this is possible, is it possible to do the same for performances that I have created on the Motif? Can I copy performance data over to my computer system to be played in Pro Tools?

I’m not aware of any tools that can read Motif Performance data and generate a similar capability to layer and/or split up to four parts for other computer based synthesizers. In addition, Motif performances include Motif specific parameters related to the effects that are applied to each of the voices in the performance.

4. Even if there is no way to effect the parameters of the sounds in the computer (for example the effect levels, the volume of each wave form, etc.) is it possible to copy the raw sounds in. (I think they are just wav files.)

Yamaha does not provide any way to download the sample waveforms from the Motif’s internal memory. As a matter of fact, I believe this waveform data utilizes a Yamaha-specific encoding. (Again, Yamaha wants to make money on their investment… if this information was downloadable, they would quickly be copied and distributed (pirated). /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

5. If none of this is possible, what is my best alternative? Again, the objective is to find a cheap (or ideally free) virtual sound module--a way to play midi patches by my computer and a library of those patches--so that I can trigger sounds from my midi data that are comparable in quality to the Motif’s. I currently have the NN-19 sampler in Propellerhead Reason and Digidesign Structure Free, which are the free versions of those samplers, and they only come with a few patches. Are there sound libraries that I can import into those?

See my comments above. If you really want the Motif sound, my recommendation would be to see if you can find a Motif Rack sound module for sale on eBay or somewhere else. A quick check of eBay shows that in the last 30 days Motif (classic) rack modules have sold for $300-$450.

Good Luck,

Brad Weber http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/295252-santa_sml.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 07:01 PM
ryguymotif
Total Posts:  0
Joined  06-28-2008

Thank you very much for the help.

Do you recommend any free or inexpensive sample libraries that work with Pro Tools so that I can trigger midi sounds without an external sound module like the Motif?

I am looking for something that covers a range of different instruments (as does the Motif) rather than a product that specializes in just pianos or just strings.

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 08:59 PM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

I am not sure how you can trigger MIDI samples without some type of controller. You may want to look at Garageband if you have a new Mac. What I do is record my Motif tracks into an external mixer (as audio). The mixer is a Yamaha AW16G capable of 16 tracks, so I can allow each Motif track to have its own track in the AW16G. I then burn that to a CD and import that into ProTools for further processing, mixing and recording (vocals). It is a bit tedious if you only have the 4 outputs of the Motif. You may be able to find the original expansion board which allows up to 8 outputs I believe (analog).

Not sure if this helps. But I think the Motif Rack might be a great idea to get the exact sounds you want. I was fortunate enough to set up my board in my room while in college. Is this not an option for you?....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 09:40 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Cubase 4 comes bundled with a version of the Halion sample player by steinberg - it actually includes the raw motif sample soundset.

This might be worth a look at since Cubase is still a better midi sequencer than Pro-tools (though PT 8 looks like digi are eventually putting some effort into this /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= )

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 27, 2008 @ 09:45 AM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

And as a continuation of what Wellie is suggesting, not only can you use HalionOne software sounds in Cubase, you can of course take advantage of numerous other plug-ins/ VSTi(s) that can produce sounds of every type. And when it comes to some plug-ins, it often doesn’t matter which sequencer you are using. Cubase, ProTools, Sonar and Logic all provide some free VSTi(s) and can incorporate the commercial ones.
Software is only part of the equation though and, when it comes to portability, software will always beat racks and hardware. But one piece of hardware that is important is a MIDI controller so you can /trigger play a VSTi or a rack. MIDI controller keyboards can be very tiny or very long or very inexpensive or very expensive. I suspect that once you discover the value of one, IF your Motif is not readily available of course, you will quickly discover that you need one. Perhaps start by c/o some of the low end ones from M-Audio. And if you do have access to your MOtif, it will of course, be able to act a your master keyboard instead. Lots of possibilities and options and I hope you find the ones that suit you best..............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 10:56 PM
bobbybland
Total Posts:  1271
Joined  01-04-2008

Just my thoughts.. Halion One is not the same,it looks cool,but… where’s the beef ?

I can’t wait to see what hardware ROM maker truly goes Vsti first.. Not the Xs, Fantom, TI, type vsti’ s available now, but yet a true asio protocol vsti plugin with the same sound quality in a plugin without the need for hardware other then a small dongle of some sorts of course, not a rack dongle,since that’s all it really is anyways :] ..Yamaha’s close with mlan,but still requires the hardware.

Whatever company does it first will get a huge amount of new customers who would rather use software due to it’s incredible routing and limitless possibilities.. Just look @ kvr.com

If this we’re the case - OP - you wouldn’t have to buy a rack ,but yet you could buy a software solution and load up your Motif plug in your DAW..It actually would fit alot of folks needs,more then the hardware could produce if the prices we’re reasonable with accurate quality..
Powecore Virus is the only plugin I know of that captured the Virus C or a synth alike the hardware in the form of a Asio plugin ,but it took a rather large Pci card,this was back in 2005… Funny no ones even came close to their idea!

Room to grow,after all we are now in a digital time and place..
Good Luck ...

[ Ignore ]