mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Is mLAN16E compatible with the Motif 7 Classic?"

Posted on: December 24, 2008 @ 11:01 PM
Kdose
Total Posts:  21
Joined  08-27-2008

Can someone tell me if mLAN16E is compatible with the Motif 7 Classic?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 01:43 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Re: Is mLAN16E compatible with the Motif 7 Classic?

The mlan16e does not work with the Motif Classic. There was a first generation MLAN adapter for the classic, but it never got any traction and is incompatible with the later generation mLAN products. So far as I know there is no current mLAN support for the Motif Classic.

Regards,

Brad Weber http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/295252-santa_sml.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 09:16 PM
dafingaz
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  07-13-2004

Which is quite upsetting as I may also be looking for expansion options for the Motif Classic. Thanks for the non support Yamaha. LOL. There are still Classic users out here in the world!!.....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 09:37 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

. . . but this is old news - the Mlan8 was a very expensive option. You may still be able to track some down on ebay . . . The AIEB unit may be of more use offering extra expansion options.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 01:52 PM
Kdose
Joined  08-27-2008

Ok i actually made some research and the only mLAN made for Motif Classic is called ‘’My16mLAN’’ but apparently does not work with Protools nor any Digidesign system which i use. I got the AIEB2 already which makes 10 mono outs(s/pdif included) but i still feel limited. Thanks Anyway Guys.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 03:15 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

I’m pretty sure that the mymLAN16 product will not work with the Motif Classic. You are correct that none of the mLAN products will work with Protools or DigiDesign.

If you have the AIEB2 interface for the Motif, most of the remaining functionality provided by the mLAN interface (specifically multiple MIDI port connections between your computer and the Motif is available to you via the Motif Classic’s Host USB interface.

Regards,

Brad Weber http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/295252-santa_sml.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 03:45 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Ok i actually made some research and the only mLAN made for Motif Classic is called ‘’My16mLAN’’ but apparently does not work with Protools nor any Digidesign system which i use. I got the AIEB2 already which makes 10 mono outs(s/pdif included) but i still feel limited.

You may want to correct that place where you researched this. The MY16-mLAN is not (and never was) for any synthesizer. It is the expansion board for 0-series Yamaha digital Mixers like the 01V96 and 02R96 series mixers.

The Motif (2001) was released at a time when mLAN was indeed very expensive. The mLAN expansion option for synthesizers back then was called the “mLAN8E” and was only offered as “proof of concept”. It was only 8 channel, 16-bit/44.1kHz. It was not offered for sale to the general public.

By the time we reached the Motif ES (2003) the mLAN spec was increased to 16 audio buses, 24-bit/44.1kHz (and could slave to 48kHz, 88.2kHz and 96kHz). The mLAN kit for the Motif ES and S90 ES is called the “mLAN16E”

Now the current Motif XS and Motif-Rack XS can be expanded using the latest expansion board for synthesizers the “mLAN16E2” because once again the specification for mLAN has been changed… The mLAN16E2 can function with legacy mLAN (full networking), and with the AI Driver (single peer-to-peer) and also with the next step: which is the Yamaha-Steinberg Firewire driver (YSFW) which is capable of multiple peer-to-peer devices connected to a computer.

The changes have been to make the protocol more affordable. The mLAN8E was going to sell for over $800...(one of the reasons it was not brought to market, but mainly shown at trade shows within the industry); the price of the chip set required to turn computers into professional audio devices was not cheap back in 2001… but with time comes breakthroughs that allow the price to come down (Thankfully… because musicians tend to be a very underpaid group)

If you want to get involved with multiple channels of audio and MIDI via Firewire you will want to join the current crop of computer hardware and the latest developments in the firewire protocol. You may want to think about a Motif XS /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Protools / Digidesign have their own audio driver system which is a totally separate thing.

The AIEB2 adds 6 additional analog outputs to the Motif, remember the outputs can be mono or setup in odd/even pairs as necessary.
  [ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 10:47 PM
Kdose
Joined  08-27-2008

Thanks for all the replies guys. Now i gotta do a lot of thinking /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Just one Thing_voice
Next Topic:

Brad’s List: TOP MOTIF/MOTIF ES FORUM QUESTIONS ››