mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Does CC:11 [Expression] Always Control Volume?"

Posted on: December 24, 2008 @ 05:32 AM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

Working with my ES8 in Voice mode with a Yamaha FC7 foot controller in the FC1 jack.

In Voice>Utility>Voice>CTLASN I have have the FC1 controller assigned to 11[Expression] which appears to default to controlling the volume of the instrument.

If I go to Voice>Edit>Common>CTLSET and assign the FC1(11) to a destination of say, FLT-Frq for all four elements, it still controls the volume. The FC1 is not defined anywere else in the control set so that’s not the problem.

Is there a way to “disconnect” the CC:11 [Expression] to the volume control function? I thought that’s what the CC:07 [Volume] midi command is for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2008 @ 02:38 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Does CC:11 [Expression] Always Control Volume?

Does CC:11 [Expression] Always Control Volume?

Yes.

Taken from a post made yesterday - similar issue:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are several MIDI Control Change numbers that have specific functions, others do not, or are available and assignable.

For example:
cc010 PAN will always move the sound from Left (0) to Right (127) but will default to Center (64). So picking cc010 for anything other than pan position would be illogical.

cc004 FOOT CONTROL does not have a specific function - it is for you to define what it does on a per Voice basis. So you could use it in one Voice to open the filter… but in another Voice it could be assigned to control LFO Speed in an effect.

...when using [Control Change numbers] you must avoid the controller numbers that have dedicated functions. For example, assigning a parameter to cc007 or cc011 would be foolish because these will always be volume… so you wouldn’t want to assign Element LFO Speed to a controller also affecting volume… just not logical
-------------------------------------------------

Here is an explanation of cc007/cc011: FYI

The difference between cc007 Channel Volume and cc011 Expresion is a subtle but important one.

Expression is controller 11
Control Change 007 is Volume.

Both effect sound output, and both are universal for all things MIDI.

cc011 Expression is the artistic control over volume (relative) and cc007 is the absolute volume output. Say you have 16 sounds in a mix and you are playing a lead sound. You set the Volume sliders of each PART to make your mix… the CS Control Sliders) send cc007; they set the maximum level for each PART. If you select one of them and use the foot pedal assigned to send cc011 then when you press toe-down on the pedal… the maximum level will never exceed the value you set by cc007.

Another example: If you have a Piano sound and String sound in a Performance. And you set the Piano to 127 volume (that is, cc007 = 127) and you set the String volume to 64 (that is, cc007 = 64). So the Piano is double the volume of the strings:

If you use a foot pedal that sends cc007 both piano and strings will jump to the same value. Absolute volume. (Kind of defeats the purpose).

However, if you use a foot pedal that sends cc011 the two sounds will adjust in volume but maintain their proportion. Relative Volume.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 25, 2008 @ 03:26 AM
scottrod
Total Posts:  122
Joined  06-14-2005

Re: Does CC:11 [Expression] Always Control Volume?

Thanks Phil, helpful as always! 

I think I get the picture, but will set up some scenarios on the rig and play with it to understand it fully.

Thanks again!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New in forums , and love my ES and these sounds
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››