mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "M08 vs Roland Fantom X8"

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 12:45 AM
enarchay
Total Posts:  0
Joined  12-20-2008

First, thanks for your responses in the MM8 forum. If you don’t have the time to read this entire post that I wrote after further consideration, please at least read to the bottom at “P.S.”, as that question is pretty important on its own.

Short introduction. I’ve been playing guitar for about three years and I want to learn how to play keyboard/piano. I want to get something that will both achieve what I’m looking for and last me a long time, since I’ve gone through some pretty junky guitars until I was fully satisfied and I don’t want to make the same mistake with keyboards.

I’ve been researching keyboards non-stop for the last few days. I was looking for something that would be efficiently suitable for progressive rock and metal (Opeth, DT, Abigail Williams, Porcupine Tree, etc.), but also classical music. I wasn’t planning on spending more than 1000 dollars, but I’ve found that there is no way I’m going to get all I want with that limit. Slightly over my original price limit, I was considering getting the Kawai MP5, because while it is a very good stage piano, it also offers various other instruments and some real time controls (that were absent from some cheaper Yamaha digital pianos I tried). However, upon further consideration, I decided that the MP5 is not for me, because if I’m going to spend that much money, I might as well be sure I’m getting all I want; after all, the MP5 is a stage piano, not a workstation. So, I’ve decided that if I’m going to make a purchase, I might as well just go the extra mile and get a keyboard that offers me all of what I want and will not need to be replaced as I progress. The Yamaha MM8, at 1000 dollars, might have been a good option, but I read a lot of negative reviews, and it doesn’t seem worth the price. Thus, it comes down to the Yamaha M08 and the Roland Fantom X8.

Obviously, I would much more prefer the Yamaha M08 on the basis of price alone. I can get a floor-model Yamaha M08 at my local Guitar Center for 1,350 dollars (appealingly, right on time for Christmas), whereas I would have to order the Roland Fantom X8 online for as high as 1,995. However, there are some things that bother me about the Yamaha M08, and I do not want to be left with the gnawing feeling that for all the money spent, I could have done much better for little more.

First, the M08 has balanced hammer keys, not graded hammer keys. This wouldn’t bother me so much if it were not for the fact that many of Yamaha’s cheaper models come standard with the graded keys, including the MM8 I was considering until I read the reviews. Maybe this isn’t a big deal, but I thought it was important to take into consideration.

Second, the M08 only has 64-note polyphony. This may not bother me now, but it could become a problem as I begin experimenting with layering a bunch of different sounds. This is one of the main complaints I’ve read.

The Roland, in contrast, has progressive hammer keys, and much more polyphony. In addition, the Roland appears to have a much more appealing interface, a better location for the pitch bender, and the D-beam, which could come in handy.

So, my question is, how exactly does the M08 compare with the Fantom X8? Is the M08 overall better for the price? Or is the Fantom X8 worth the extra money? Also, for any who know much about the M08, just to be clear, it does have buttons (similar to made-for-amp guitar pedals) for storing for later use and selecting in real time edited instruments, correct?

I’m not even sure if I could afford the Fantom X8 if I wanted to, but I also don’t want to consider buying the M08 until I’m absolutely sure it is worth every cent.

Can you give me any advice?

P.S. If you do recommend the M08, do you think 1,350 dollars for a floor model (50 dollars less than if it were new) is a good price? My local Guitar Center does not have any brand new M08s in stock, so I would have to order it if I planned on getting it new. Also, do you think I could convince them to lower the price a bit more? Do you think that is a good deal?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 12:11 PM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Re: M08 vs Roland Fantom X8

If you got the money.., I say Fantom X8 wins HANDS DOWN.  Honestly I don’t even think it’s really fair to compare these two workstations because feature wise they’re so far apart from eachother.

The MO8 is a VERY stripped down version of the Motif ES.., that has absolutely no expansion options.  The Fantom X8 (prior to the release of the G line) is not a stripped down version of any Roland workstation.  It simply was their top dog before the Fantom G came out.  The MO’s are budget workstations.., and the Fantom X line are the full blown deal.  Sampling, 128 note poly, expandable, the list just goes on and on!

Also if you’re looking for piano feel the Fantom X8 will take the cake.  The X has a graded hammer action.  If you’re wanting to compare the MO8 to it’s true competitors have a look at the Korg M50 (88 key version).  You may still be able to find a few Korg TR88’s (which were also the competitor to the MO8).  Roland sadly does not have a budget 88 workstation though.  Again keep in mind the MO’s are budget workstations so in fairness their features should be compared to other budget workstations.  Comparing the budget line to the high end will just give you a headache /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 12:50 PM
enarchay
Joined  12-20-2008

So do you think the M08 is good for the price and I would be happy with it? How does it compare with the Korg? (I couldn’t figure out how much polyphony the Korg has).

Also, do you think 1,350 is a good price for a floor model, or should I try to get it for less?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 01:29 PM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Depends on the condition of that MO8.  The online price for a new one is $1,499...., depending on how long the unit has been there, and how eager they are to move it you just might be able to negotiate a better deal.  Look at it like this..., demo model (in store) is essentially like B-Stock or Warehouse Resealed items online.  B-Stock online typically has more signs of use and Resealed is often a quick customer return with very little use.  If that demo model shows clear signs of use offer them $1,250 and see what they say.  Be sure to let them know the factory new price is only $1,499 and a demo model can sometimes be considered B-Stock.

The Korg is 80 notes poly.  The MO8’s not a bad workstation but (I used to own one)..., and the 64 note poly can be an issue.  It will depend on what all you want to do with that workstation.  If you’re just using it for basic sequencing and live play it’ll work well.  However, if you really start to dig into the sequencing and begin to layer tracks, use some dual voices, use the sustain pedal, and the arps..., you’ll soon realize that 64 notes runs out pretty fast.

I suggest you look at the Korg M50 (88 key model).  It’s still less than the Fantom X.., more poly, better keys, touch screen, and a more up to date Korg sound set as it’s derived from the M3 line.  The MO’s share their voice set with the Motif ES..., and not the current Motif XS.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 01:40 PM
enarchay
Joined  12-20-2008

When ordering a B-stock item, how do you know what you’re getting (very used condition or just a return)?

What should I be sure to look for when looking at the floor model to make sure it is in good shape?

Also, in comparing the X8 with the M08, one thing I noticed is that the M08 appears to have multi-track volume adjustment, whereas the X8 does not. Is this the case, and if so, do you think it adds to the M08s appeal by comparison? 

I don’t have an X8 to try out, so can anyone help me understand the big differences between the M08 and X8s layout/interface/buttons, pros and cons?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 01:48 PM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Just wanted to touch on something I already mentioned.  The biggest thing is you have to look at what you’re wanting from the synth.  For me.., the MO8 didn’t work out and I was blowing the poly left and right.  However, even though I was blowing the poly out doesn’t mean the next guy will because our sequencing needs all differ.

I play many styles of music, but one style of music I write a lot is Film Score/Instrumental type music.  With that style of music 64 notes at times just will not cut it no matter how many ways you try to make it work. 

If you’re creating tracks in more traditional styles such as Rock, Metal, some light jazz, blues, ect. you may not have issues.  I can however give you one VERY helpful tip if you buy the MO8.  Don’t use all poly heavy voices for yoru tracks.  Too often when sequencing poly becomes an issue because people just go straight to the signature voices (that typically are poly heavy).  For solo voices this works fine.., but for backing instruments use the patches that don’t push the poly too hard.  A good mix is a sound where each instrument compliments eachother...., rather than each instrument sounding as if they’re competing for the spotlight.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 01:51 PM
enarchay
Joined  12-20-2008

Did you see my previous response?

One more question upon of the ones in my previous response. Does the X8 have a modulation wheel?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 01:55 PM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

Look for obvious signs of use. Scratches, dings, cracks, condition of the keybed.., make sure they all work properly (as you never really know what the guy before you did to them).  Look for all paperwork, manuals, and included software.

B-Stock is exactly that.  It’s a gamble as you don’t know what the overall condition really is.  In store B-Stock you at least have the option of checking it out for yourself.  Online B stocks do however come with the full warranty and the standard online return policy that ranges from 30-45 days from the purchase date.

The Fantom X will certainly do multi-track volume adjusting.  The Fantoms sequencer is really indepth and offers many post song editing parameters.  I’ve played the Fantom X many times.., it IMO blows the MO’s out of the water..  That’s why I said it’s not really fair to compare the two because one is a budget synth without power windows, no ac, AM radio, and no powersteering..., where as the Fantom X is the fully loaded ride /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 01:57 PM
squeak_D
Joined  09-24-2005

The Fantom has the joystick that does both pitch and modulation.  I can tell you (as a guitar player myself) I much prefer the joystick because IMO you can pull off much more realistic guitar bends and modulations....

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 24, 2008 @ 03:21 PM
normanb
Total Posts:  103
Joined  12-29-2006

I don’t think $1350 is a good price for a floor model. I paid that for a new MO8 at a local independent music shop two years ago. You never know what’s happened to a floor model, especially things with sensitive hidden moving parts like weighted keyboards. Maybe someone banged it and some key(s) may give out sooner than later. I think it’s different with things like speakers and amps and things without delicate moving parts, but even for those items I’d want discounts in the 30 - 50% range.

There are so many things to consider when choosing a keyboard, unfortunately there is no comprehensive list I know of that lists all models and how they compare feature-wise. One thing to remember is that if polyphony becomes an issue, you can add a sound module to an MO8 (or anything with midi out). With a computer, you can also add vst instruments.

One other thing I would consider, if you are going to play out, size and weight may be an issue. MO8 is pretty good compromise on this, having pitch bend and mod wheels above keyboard instead of added to end helps. And it’s 47 pounds, which is fairly light for something this capable and with hammer action keys.

Good luck!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 26, 2008 @ 10:41 AM
raykeyz
Total Posts:  32
Joined  11-06-2008

i say you try the board and check the specs before you buy… but posting here means you need feedback.. i myself use to be a Roland fanatic but the features that MO8 has draws me to taking two… YES TWO!

Less weight
Easier to carry around
Faders for Performance mode which is really helpful on live performance
Remote control for your DAW
Balance Hammer keybed for synth players like me
Killer sounds from the Motif ES
and cheaper than ES
a balance of acoustic sounds and electronic/techno sounds

if you dont need sampling, 128 polyphony...ETC

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2008 @ 10:01 PM
sunfly
Total Posts:  19
Joined  01-13-2008

I agree with everything i,ve read so far and the X8 is huge and bulky but relatively simple to use compared to yamaha work stations at the expense of the Japanese attention to ridiculously minute sound calibration possibilities.But personally i find the yamaha mine is MO6
EXCEPTIONAL value for money, unbeatable for its piano sound in my opinion and if one takes the time to explore it fully it has a hell of a lot more gears {calibrations} to drive its workstation than the X8.So a smaller engine but more gears to work through in sound crafting.I,m very fortunate to have what i consider the best of both worlds which work great as a pair.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ I’m MOO-ed now! MO6
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››