mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "List of MIDI Controller Changes"

Posted on: December 22, 2008 @ 06:05 AM
kanthos
Total Posts:  13
Joined  12-17-2008

Is there a complete list anywhere for all the CC messages that can be received and processed by the MO? I can’t find anything in the owner’s manual or data list. The data list does have a partial list on pages 58 and 59, but surely the MO6 supports more parameters than the few that are listed? Am I just misinterpreting something or looking in the wrong place, or is there a clear list of supported CCs somewhere?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2008 @ 06:25 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

Re: List of MIDI Controller Changes

Have you looked at page 224 in the manual?

What are you looking to control?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 22, 2008 @ 06:41 AM
kanthos
Total Posts:  13
Joined  12-17-2008

I did see that page in the manual. I don’t yet own an MO6 (I’m a very thorough researcher when it comes to buying technology /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=; I was more trying to figure out what can and can’t be controlled. There’s clearly a lot of CC messages the MO6 responds to that aren’t listed in the manual; for example, Bad_Mister describes how to do a foot-controlled tempo change in the PDF on this site describing how to use the MFC10 foot controller; the CC message used (18) isn’t described in the owner’s manual.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 06:23 AM
Tacman7
Total Posts:  680
Joined  06-16-2006

There are some CC’s that are accepted and standardized like volume, pan, program change etc.

Many are not and can be used any way you want. Everything can be used as you want.

So if you look at page 208, assigning controllers, you can set some hardware controls to respond to any cc from 0 to 96.

In assigning controllers for my BCF/BCR2000 it doesn’t matter what cc you use, just as long as it’s mapped to the right function and is not duplicated on that port and channel.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 23, 2008 @ 06:16 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The full list of Control Change items that the MO responds to is on page 79… of the Data List booklet.

There are several MIDI Control Change numbers that have specific functions, others do not, or are available and assignable.

For example:
cc010 PAN will always move the sound from Left (0) to Right (127) but will default to Center (64). So picking cc010 for anything other than pan position would be illogical.

cc004 FOOT CONTROL does not have a specific function - it is for you to define what it does on a per Voice basis. So you could use it in one Voice to open the filter… but in another Voice it could be assigned to control LFO Speed in an effect.

We are not sure what you are looking for but you mention an article I wrote about using cc018 - which is one of eight General Purpose Controller numbers. The default setup of the MO6/MO8 uses four of these.

The General Purpose Controllers cc016, cc017, cc018 and cc019 can be, like the Foot Controller, assigned to any function you setup with a Voice. They are called General Purpose because these are commonly used for whatever you need. The MO makes use of these four CC numbers as follows:

Assignable Knob 1 defaults to cc016 (per Voice assignment)
Assignable Knob 2 defaults to cc017 (per Voice assignment)
Assignable Knob A defaults to cc018 (global assignment)
Assignable Knob B defaults to cc019 (global assignment)

The parameters that can be assigned to these in the MO are listed on page 42 of the Data List booklet.

Most controller numbers do not have a defined purpose, so you can select these for you purposes. AS1 and AS2 you can see in each Voice’s Control Set are assigned to do a variety of things from editing effects to controlling Element functions.

Call up any Voice and press [EDIT] > [COMMON] > [F4] CTRL SET. The [SF1], [SF2] and [SF3] buttons will show you how the physical controllers of the MO are assigned in this particular Voice. AS1 and AS2 can be doing radically different things in next Voice you select. It is for you (programmer) to decide what you want to control in real time.

ASA and ASB - default to Amplitude Envelope Generator Decay and Sustain, respectively. I personally change these as I don’t usually need to adjust the Voices I select with A-D-S-R… so I find another useful function for these (see page 42 for your options)… These two knobs are global… this means whatever you select for them will apply in all modes on the MO.

There are a total of 153 destinations for controllers, 85 for the AS A and B, and another 68 for the AS1 and AS2.

But, when using them you must avoid the controller numbers that have dedicated functions. For example, assigning a parameter to cc007 or cc011 would be foolish because these will always be volume… so you wouldn’t want to assign Element LFO Speed to a controller also affecting volume… just not logical

If you have a specific thing that you are trying to do, let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Volume sliders in master mode
Next Topic:

MO and Motif ES compatibility ››