mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A/D Input"

Posted on: December 20, 2008 @ 09:31 AM
Keyman009
Total Posts:  0
Joined  08-29-2006

I can’t seem to get much infomation on that particular input.

Can you input dgitial audio from an SPDIF out on another deivce through that input? (in my case, Motif ES8 or XS7)

In the utility area of Motif ES8 there is a Mic/Line and a Digital section. I would assume that Digital has to do with mLan but I am just checking.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 20, 2008 @ 02:04 PM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Re: A/D Input

A/D input is for analog signals only. If you want to input SPDIF you need the AIEB2 expander board.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 20, 2008 @ 04:30 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

... and the AIEB2 cannot be install in your Motif XS, only the ES…

Brad http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/295252-santa_sml.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2008 @ 06:49 AM
Keyman009
Total Posts:  15
Joined  08-29-2006

Thanks for the help.

I don’t know much about SPDIF but I have seen outputs on many devices, I just haven’t seen many with inputs.

The XS already has one SPDIF output built in so I guess I would be all set with that.... but I don’t see any mixers with “multiple” SPDIF inputs.

How does one go about hooking up multiple devices to a mixer?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 21, 2008 @ 08:16 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital InerFace) is designed prinicipally as a stereo digital transfer… you would use it when you want to transfer the stereo output of one device to another device. It is basically a consumer level transfer (sometimes referred to as CD/DAT) - the idea was to keep it consumer level (read: easy)… so clock issues are usually automatically taken care of… one device acts as the master digital clock and the other automatically slaves.

It is an oxymoron to have multiple SPDIF connections as it would require the user to actually get involved in setting word clock devices and the price of slaving multiple digital devices would defeat the “consumer” (read also: not expensive) concept.

Forgive my oversimplification of this but the idea of SPDIF was a simply connection between 2 devices. No more… Multiple device SPDIF is an oxymoron.

When you have multiple device optical connections, that would be ADAT protocol - which shares the optical (light) type connection but is a much more “pro-sumer” level protocol and quite a bit more complex (read: expensive to do).

So you probably will not see multiple SPDIF inputs.

Multiple channel digital audio connections like “ADAT” (which is typically bundles of 8 connections) and “mLAN” (which is both multiple audio and multiple MIDI connections between multiple devices via firewire) are what it takes to move signal digitally between multiple devices…

There are also more expensive options as well (MADI). These are protocols for moving multiple channels of audio between devices. SPDIF is a simple, inexpensive way to move the output of a CD player, DAT player, or Sound device (like a synth) and one other SPDIF equipped device. Period.

Since you have an ES or XS, mLAN is method for you to move up to 16 audio outputs from either the ES and/or the XS and your computer via Firewire. mLAN is Music Local Area Network… it is possible in a network to connect multiple devices moving audio and MIDI wherever necessary.

Yamaha makes digital mixers and synthesizers that can be networked with computers for recording or live performance.

The Motif ES would need to be expanded with the mLAN16E.
The Motif XS6 or 7 would need to expanded with the mLAN16E2. (the Motif XS8 has the mLAN/firewire option built-in)

See this: Video explanation

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ how do I get a sample to loop in pattern/song mode
Next Topic:

sampling for live gig ››