mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Multi-element VOICEs in PATTERN/PERFORM/SONG mode"

Posted on: December 18, 2008 @ 05:11 PM
KingVidBina
Total Posts:  14
Joined  07-24-2008

Im having a little bit of trouble in adjusting the volumes of the different elements in a voice whenever I’m in PATTERN/PERFORM/SONG mode.

In VOICE mode one just simply uses the faders to, for instance change the volume of the strings in the Ap:Piano&Strg voice. In the other modes, however; the faders are used to control volume levels of the different parts of the performance or different tracks in a sequence.

I have a performance in which I am using Pd:Tibet Ens. I need to drop the volume of the bells which are the 1st and 2nd elements of the voice. I did this nicely in VOICE mode, but in PERFORM mode I’m still searching for the answer.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 18, 2008 @ 05:39 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Multi-element VOICEs in PATTERN/PERFORM/SONG mode

In Voice mode the CS (Control Sliders) send Yamaha System Exclusive messages to individual control the Element Level. Four sliders, four elements - it works out great

When you go to PERFORMANCE mode, which combines as many as four Voices - which is potentially 16 Elements - you do not have the luxury of controlling individual Elements with the CS. The CS send Yamaha System Exclusive messages to control the VOICE volume (as a whole).

The same goes for SONG/PATTERN MIXING mode, which combines 16 VOICES… you do not have the luxury of controlling individual Elements with the CS. In SONG and PATTERN MIXING modes the CS send Control Change 007 (MIDI channel Volume).

That said, you can still control individual Element levels when you place a Voice in a PERFORMANCE PART or you plce it in a SONG MIXING/PATTERN MIXING PART… Here’s how:

You edit the VOICE in VOICE mode so that you have control over the Elements you desire when that Voice is placed in any other mode.

Here is what I mean ... You need to control the Volume of the BELL Elements in the Voice Pd: Tibet Ens. PRE 4: 054(D06)
Press [EDIT]
Track Select buttons 1-4 will select Elements 1-4
And Track Selectu buttons 9-12 will Mute/unMute Elements 1-4
You can determine by isolating the Elements via buttons 9, 10, 11 and 12 that Element 1 (button 9) is a bell, and Element 2 (button 10) is a delayed bell. Element 3 and 4 are the PAD sound.

Press [COMMON EDIT]
Press [F4] CTRL SET
As an example, I will use the MOD WHEEL to control the volume of Elements 1 and 2
Press [SF2] SET 3/4
In Set 4 Elements 1 and 2 are being controlled by the Ribbon (RB) for Filter Resonance.
Change the RB to MW (Mod Wheel)
Change the Filter-Rez to ELM-Lvl
Change the Depth to negative 30 (-30)

Now when you raise the mod wheel you will be dropping the volume of the bell elements.

[STORE] your newly edited VOICE to a USER location and substitute this edited version in the PERFORMANCE or PATTERN or SONG you want to use it in. The MW will now always control the Element Volume of the bell elements in this Voice no matter where you use it.

I should mention you will need to plan ahead and select a Controller that suits your needs. If you are going to combine this Voice in a PERFORMANCE where the Mod Wheel does something not so appropriate for another layer, you may want to either set that PART to ignore MW (using the RCV SW, Receive Switch, parameters), or you can select a different controller. Foot Controller cc004 can be a good choice - your mileage will vary… Experiment and find a controller that works for you needs.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2008 @ 03:20 AM
KingVidBina
Total Posts:  14
Joined  07-24-2008

Just for clarification…
The newly edited voice would have to be saved on a external device right?!? Would all USER VOICES be lost after powering down the Motif?!? Or am I not understanding this correctly (since the new VOICE wouldn’t contain 3rd party samples but just the waves from the Motif SG)?!? They would’t require reloading right, since it’s all there anyways…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 19, 2008 @ 05:53 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

SAVE is an operation for long term backup. It is always to an external device: A SmartMedia Card or USB Drive.

No you do not need to SAVE the Voice to keep it from disappearing from turning the unit OFF. You do need to SAVE it to keep yourself for overwriting it if, and when, you load in other files.

SAVE is a safety thing. When a Voice contains just ROM samples it will remain in memory - at least until you either change it or overwrite it.

[STORE] is an operation that writes the parameters to FLASH ROM… Flash ROM remains in memory between power cycles. USER Voices can be Stored in Flash ROM along with UTILITY mode settings.

The sequencer (SONG and PATTERN mode) and the sampler are not Flash memory backed… so they will need to be SAVED to an external device.

Hope that is clear.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 20, 2008 @ 08:38 AM
AlKal
Total Posts:  198
Joined  11-23-2004

Wouldn’t another option be to use a Mix Voice in Song mode? In that case, are the Mix Voices non-volatile or do they have to be saved to permannet storage to be retrieved?  Also, what type of file are mix voices saved to (ALL Song, ALL Voice, or what?).  Thanks,

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 20, 2008 @ 07:43 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

MIXING Voices are volatile as they are saved with the Sequencer data… that is, either in SONG or PATTERN. When you power down the Motif ES the sequencer data disappears (it is volatile) so the Mixing Voices would be volatile, as well. You can Save the SONG to either an ALL data file (.W7A/.W8A) or to an ALL SONG (.W7S/.W8S) file. You can Save PATTERNS to either an ALL data file (.W7A/.W8A) or to an ALL PATTERN (.W7P/.W8P) file.

MIXING VOICES do not, repeat, do not get stored in an ALL VOICE file (.W7V/.W8V) - only the USER1, USER 2, and DRUM USER banks are saved.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Taking an ES apart
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››