mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Can MIDI Cakewalk files be transferred to Motif?"

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 01:42 PM
LeTutankhamen
Total Posts:  23
Joined  12-16-2008

I am a newbie on Motif and so far I like what I see. I have a lot of songs on Cakewalk for many years now. I was using my M1 Korg as the master. Can these files be transferred to Motif by way of the Media drive?
Been reading this site for a few days now and have gained a lot of insight.
Thanks!  /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 08:54 AM
msr
Total Posts:  250
Joined  03-31-2006

Re: Can MIDI Cakewalk files be transferred to Motif?

If you have a Motif Classic, I believe you can read in standard midi files (SMF) from the SM card.  You would need to save the files in Cakewalk as MIDI files first of course (either type 1 or 2 will work).  If you have a Motif ES you can also transfer SMF files by way of the USB port with a USB stick.

msr

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 11:43 AM
LeTutankhamen
Joined  12-16-2008

Thanks for the quick response. To be specific, it is a Motif 6 and it does have a printer port to USB connection. I have done some programming and installed the driver in case I need to download files in the future and working on getting a reader to update the OS. This is information that I learnt from reading this site. Can this USB plug be used for the same purpose, can I actually connect a regular DVD writer to the Motif? I am working in the dark here. I don’t have the manual and CD that came with the piano. It was bought used. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 12:03 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

The manuals for the Motif are available from the Yamaha Manual Site , or click on the following links to download them:[list][*] Motif Owner’s Manual
[*] Motif Data List
[*] Motif Software Installation Instructions [/list:u]As to your specific questions:[list][*]The Motif does have a USB host connection - that, however cannot be used to directly download song files into the Motif. There are a couple of ways to accomplish what you are after. The easiest would be to get a SmartCard Reader and a SmartMedia card and copy the standard MIDI files to the SMC; insert that card into the Motif and then load the files using the [FILE]-->[F3] LOAD dialog. Similarly, if you have a SCSI hard drive or tape device, you can use that to transfer files to the Motif. Finally, you could connect your computer to the Motif (using its MIDI or Host USB connection) and playback the song from the computer and record the MIDI into the Motif… let us know if you would instructions on how to accomplish this last method.

[*]The USB connection on the Motif (Classic) is a host only interface, so it does not support connecting USB devices to the Motif. So your DVD writer is not going to help you.[/list:u]Regards,

Brad Weber http://forums.keyfax.com/user-files/295252-santa_sml.gif

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 05:41 PM
LeTutankhamen
Joined  12-16-2008

Thanks Brad!
What a load of information I now need to consume with the manual link. I had a chance to flip my Motif upside down, that is how we met, take it apart and changed a few keys that were damaged and got to look at a few foreign computer motherboard looking parts, but I had the slightest idea of the scope of this keyboard. The manual link has put it all together for me. Thanks a millions. I need to consume this information in the next few days and I hope that I can reserve my follow up questions for another day if need be.
Again thanks!  /forums/images/icons/grin.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ recording inot pattern with vocoder
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››