mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Master mode driving me nuts !"

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 06:55 PM
mpriddy
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-11-2008

Hello,

I have been struggling with this for days now....after searching these forums, reading manuals, reading the understanding master mode pdf, and watching clips, i still cant figure this out. It should be simple, but obviously its not.

I have a motifes and a roland fantom-xr. I like the acou pianos on the fantom, the brass on the fantom, the strings on the mo, and the ep’s on the mo. I like to do lots of layers combining all of these different types of sounds. I might want an elec piano from the mo and two brass sounds from the fantom. Or maybe an elec piano and a string from the mo, and a brass sound from the fantom. My understanding is that you set up all these sounds in pattern or song mode. So I set up 16 individual sounds on 16 tracks in pattern mode and saved it. So now, im supposed to be able to go into master mode and create a 4 part layer using some of the sounds that I have in my pattern/mix, right? All I am supposed to have to do is change the midi channel to reflect the track that has the sound that I want. But instead of that happening, it acts as though the 4 zones are linked to midi channels 1-4. So it doesnt matter that I am pointing to the channels that I want, its still going to midi channel 1-4.

Someone please help me figure this out. It shouldn’t be this hard.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 08:15 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Master mode driving me nuts !

My understanding is that you set up all these sounds in pattern or song mode. So I set up 16 individual sounds on 16 tracks in pattern mode and saved it. So now, im supposed to be able to go into master mode and create a 4 part layer using some of the sounds that I have in my pattern/mix, right? All I am supposed to have to do is change the midi channel to reflect the track that has the sound that I want. But instead of that happening, it acts as though the 4 zones are linked to midi channels 1-4. So it doesnt matter that I am pointing to the channels that I want, its still going to midi channel 1-4.

We are not sure you are just writing in summary or you missed all the steps you are actually supposed to setup. Should we take this as literally all you did?

Select a SONG or PATTERN MIXING setup
Press [JOB] and Initialize the setup so you don’t inherit anything.
Place the Voices in the PARTS 1-16
[STORE] the MIXING setup (You may also want to NAME the SONG or PATTERN so that you can easily identify it later).

Next, you want go to [MASTER] mode
Press [F2] MEMORY
Associate the Master setup with SONG or PATTERN MIXING setup you just completed… You do so by making the MODE = SONG or PATTERN
MEMORY = the SONG or PATTERN number
You want to set the ZONE SWITCH = ON

Press [EDIT] to enter MASTER mode EDIT
There are two levels of editing in MASTER EDIT: COMMON and ZONE.
Press the [COMMON] button a/k/a the DrumKits/Favorites button
Press [F2] OTHER, set the KNOB/SLIDER = ZONE
This will make each of the 4 Zones follow the assignments for the Knobs and Sliders according to how you setup the Master settings.

Press [1] to view Zones 1-4 parameters
Press [F1] TRANS, here you determine where each ZONE is transmitting. Not only what channel but whether or not it is transmitting to the internal Tone Generator (TG) or OUT via MIDI

Obviously those Zones you want transmit internally should be set with TGSwitch = ON, and MIDI = OFF and vice versa. The MIDI channel is up to you. In other words, two ZONEs can be set to MIDI Channel 1, if one is set to the internal TG and the other to MIDI, they will not conflict, at all. Because they are on separate paths.

Press [F2] NOTE, here you set the Transposition and Note Limit ranges for each Zone as required

Press [F3] TX SW (Transmit Switch) Here you have 17 parameter per ZONE, and they determine if you are sending Bank Select/Program Change and controller data to each target ZONE. It is not necessary to send Bank Select and Program Change information to the internal TG if you have assoicated the Master program with a SONG/PATTERN MIXING Setup already. Simply set up the appropriate settings to recall data on your external device (MIDI)

Press [F4] PRESET, here you can send the appropriate Bank Select MSB/LSB and Program Change information to your external device. Again not necessary for the internal tone engine as you have associated a SONG/PATTERN Mixing setup already.

Press [F5] KN/CS, you can determine what the knob sends to its corresponding ZONE, and what the CS sends to its corresponding ZONE.

Press [STORE]

You must back up your setting to USB drive or SmartMedia Card and load them each time (you may want to create an ALL data file and “teach” your Motif ES to AUTO LOAD it on power up). The SONG and PATTERN MIXING setups will be initialized when you power down and back up again. So an AUTO LOAD routine will reload your custom setup automatically when you turn the unit on.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 17, 2008 @ 09:16 AM
mpriddy
Total Posts:  6
Joined  09-11-2008

Re: Master mode driving me nuts !

Thanks badmister.....this is exactly what I needed.  I couldn’t find another posting that broke it down this well.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ assigning channels to instruments
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››