mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Studio Manager, Sonar and the Motif XS"

Posted on: December 13, 2008 @ 12:46 PM
Kenrocks
Total Posts:  28
Joined  11-18-2008

I’m ready to give a try at getting Sonar 5.2 and Studio Manager working together.

I read Bad_Mister’s tutorial at the top of this forum topic list and it was for the ES.

Are there any changes in that tutorial that would apply to the XS?

I can’t seem to get the Editor to work as a stand alone program.  I can get Studio Manager and the Editor sync up to work with Cubase AI.

When I go to Sonar and make the changes per the instructions at the top of this forum, I can’t get Studio Manager to sync up to the Motif XS as a stand alone program.

Is anyone running Studio Manager with Sonar that could offer any helpful hints?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 07:27 AM
T4MH
Total Posts:  169
Joined  10-20-2008

Re: Studio Manager, Sonar and the Motif XS

I have done this but it was a little different than the ES tutorials.  Note: You must communicate via USB cable to the MOTIF to do this.

Start Studio Manager.  From the home screen, top left. select [FILE], [SETUP] to bring up a blue communications screen.
Set Port 1 to:  Not Assigned
Do this for Midi In & Midi Out
THEN
Set Port 4 to:  Yamaha MOTIF XS-8-4
Do this for Midi In & Midi Out
Close this screen.  You have just set Studio Manager to communicate over your Port 4.  ***You cannot use this port in Cakewalk.***

Open Cakewalk and UNSELECT this port in your midi devices if you have previously selected it.  In Cakewalk MIDI DEVICES try selecting only ==> Yamaha MOTIF XS-8-1 ( 16 channels wide ) and see if you can establish communications AND run Sonar.

Note:  It may be that I have other USB ports in use, but I was unable to establish comm until I set Studio Manager to XS-8-4 & Sonar to 1.  I’m not really sure why.  In my mind, as long as they are different they should both work.

Your MIDI traffic “talks” over one port while your Studio Manager “talks” over another.  If you use Cubase, Studio Manager “integrates” with that sequencer and runs as part of the software.  You cannot do this with Sonar.  You can run them at the same time separately.  This is useful but only to a certain degree… It appears you can make changes in Studio Manager and send them to the MOTIF or receive changes ( sync ) from the MOTIF.  You can them save your patches/mixes, whatever, to your harddrive and pull them up later.

Hope this helps

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 01:44 PM
Kenrocks
Total Posts:  28
Joined  11-18-2008

Thanks for the reply and the explanation!

I think the best of all possible worlds would be to use Cubase AI and Studio Manager but…

With Sonar, its so easy to edit the Midi tracks and change the voices on the fly and then save it and those new voices are saved right into the Midi file.  I have experimented with about 10 songs so far and Sonar does a solid job of letting me adjust voices on the fly etc. Of course this is all done with Sonar and its Midi editing.
I then load them into the Motif and store them and it works fine.

Can Cubase AI edit Midi voice changes as easy as Sonar and do the same thing?  I can’t seem to figure this out on Cubase AI.

Also, on Sonar, all of the Midi tracks always show up...On many of the MIDI files when I load them on Cubase AI, only one track shows up, and this makes it hard to edit.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 04:27 PM
T4MH
Joined  10-20-2008

I was also very frustrated with Cubase but then I have used Cakewalk for so long everything is easy.  I tried to use the Cubase AI4 which came with my MOTIF wanting to use it because hey it was free!  Sort of… It was just too unproductive for me.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 07, 2009 @ 08:26 PM
jpondhawk
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-26-2008

I have the Motif XS and my friend has an ancient version of Cakewalk (3.0?) on his computer. We have written songs on Cakewalk that we’d like to transfer to the Motif sequencer (track by track) via Midi out from the computer (Turtle Beach sound card) to Midi in, to the Motif. There are songs with horn parts that would be easier to transfer directly to the Motif to sequencer than to play them directly on the Motif.

I don’t know how to do this or if this is even possible to do.

There is no other way to get these midi tracks off the old computer.

Anyone have ideas?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2009 @ 07:01 AM
T4MH
Joined  10-20-2008

Save the song on the computer as a midi file(.mid).  Then import into the Motif.  You can save the file to a flash drive and insert it in the USB port on the Motif.  It will appear on the Motif under SONG MODE.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 12, 2009 @ 07:18 AM
jpondhawk
Total Posts:  45
Joined  02-26-2008

I might not be able to save the midi file to a disk because it’s an old computer and the floppy drive may not work.

What would be the alternative? There is no USB port on this computer and it is not able to go on the Internet.

There are the midi out and in ports on the sound card attached to the computer.

When we record bedtracks we use the audio out jacks on the sound card and connect to the recorder. However that would require I ‘sample’ all the midi tracks and turn them into wav files which is not what I want to do.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Sonar Instrument Definition Download Problem
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››