mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Struggling WIth MIDI Files"

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 01:13 PM
Kenrocks
Total Posts:  28
Joined  11-18-2008

Newbie Question Alert:
(New Motif XS6 owner)

I’m having some issues working with Cubase AI and the Motif Editor trying to edit MIDI files on just about every song I have tried working with.

Here’s an Example:
I pick a sound I want to use on Track 2 using the editor as I’m playing through the song. When I stop the song and go back to the beginning, the track changes back to the original voice that the MIDI was originally set for.

This does not do this for every track…The drum changes I create stay put and do not default back to the original.

I tried saving both the Cubase AI file and the editor file right after I make the change, but I still get the same results. It always happens when I click on the return or the Play button in Cubase AI.

When I take the file and load it into the Motif XS, I get the same result…But now read this below:

On Sonar, when I make changes to the same MIDI file and save the file, the sounds I saved are good to go and they do not default back to the original. 

The one problem with using Sonar 5.2 is that I’m having a problem loading the Instrument definitions for the XS6.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 05:04 PM
frankE
Total Posts:  5350
Joined  12-23-2002

Re: Struggling WIth MIDI Files

Yes, first suggestion is become familiar with the Cubase “List Editor” (see page 190 in your AI .pdf manual). Using the editor you can see in detail if any program change messages etc. are embedded in your MIDI file that would cause the track to send a message to change the Voice. Do your MIDI editing in Cubase. Also please tell us more about your MIDI connections, interface and what ports you have assigned, and perhaps we can offer additional assistance..................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 06:01 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Well, the Motif XS (as smart as it is) does not make decisions for you - so when the Voices are “changing back” it must be because there are Bank Select and Program Change events in the track data.

Information actually in the track data will override any changes you make manually or with the editor. In this instance you have a couple of options.

1) You can remove the Bank Select and Program Change data from the Track data.
2) You can change the Bank Select and Program Change information in the Tracks to select the sounds that you want the file to select
3) You can tell the Motif XS to ignore the Bank Select and Program Change information in the Track data

What is happening to you usually happens when you are working with MIDI files that were prepared on another piece of gear by someone else. They have inserted these Events in the track data so that it automatically selects the proper sounds. The Editor can change the sound but as soon as you start the track the information in the track sends the change to the XS. It is only doing what it is told.

You can turn off Bank Select and Program Change
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F5] CONTROL
Press [SF2] MIDI
Here you will find Bank Select and Program Change parameters - set them to OFF.

Or if you opt to change the track data… you will need to know about Bank Select and Program Change events.
The following three events constitute a sound selection:
CC 0 = the Bank Select MSB
CC 32 = the Bank Select LSB
Program Change

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 06:41 AM
Kenrocks
Joined  11-18-2008

Yes, I am editing MIDI files that were created by someone else. (Pro files that I purchased)

Here is an example of what I would like to do:

Take the MIDI file and import it to Cubase AI.
say Open Track 3 (midi channel 3)
Edit the sound to a Voice I prefer in the Motif.
Save the edited sound to the Midi file, I know I’m just actually saving the command to which Voice I want the Motif to play.

So when the file is loaded into the Motif XS, the sounds (voices) I selected will play on the Motif.

I guess its just that simple, but I can’t seem to figure out how to edit the program changes in Cubase AI.

I can make these changes pretty straightforward in Sonar, but integrating Cubase AI, Studio Manager and the Motif XS seems like it would make for a more convenient platform to work from.

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 09:15 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Hi again,
Well a good start would be to note what I wrote in my post above /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= . Please look in your manual on the page I listed and read about the List Editor. This is what you use to edit and add MIDI data in Cubase. There you can remove faulty CC and Program Change messages and add the ones you want that will change Voices in your synth (see Bad Mister’s post re that as well). I assume your synth came with a Data List that shows you the messages you use for each Voice? In any case, c/o the List Editor and let us know if you have any other questions. Also not sure why you want to export the MIDI data from Cubase back into your synth (playing live??), but all editing can definitely be done in Cubase.  Cheerio...............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 09:25 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

From a previous post.................

In general, a Program Change is a dedicated MIDI EVENT… when choosing from among the XS’s 1154 sounds you must also include a Bank Select command to make sure the Voice you want is selected from the proper bank.

A Program Change message in Cubase AI4 of 1 will select the first sound in a Bank… but which bank? The XS has lots of banks of Voices. Originally MIDI provided for 128 Program Changes… but musicians quickly out grew this - so a bank system was developed with a lot more flexibility.

MIDI provides for a massive total of 16,384 Banks by using two Control Change numbers each with a number… each with 128 possibilities (128 x 128 = 16,384 possible banks).

The internal Motif XS uses 15 banks, plus a bank for the Integrated Sample Sequence Voices, and one for MIXING Voices…

Control Change 0 called the MSB (or Most Significant Byte) and
Control Change 32 called the LSB (or Least Significant Byte).

Each combination of MSB/LSB Control Change messages followed by a Value 000-127 is responsible for targeting a specific bank.

For example: CC0 with a value of 63 together with CC32 with a value of 0 defines the Motif XS PRESET 1 bank. Then if these two messages are followed by a Program Change DATA value of 1… you have selected the “FULL CONCERT GRAND” Voice located a Preset 1: 001(A01) Shown below…

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/421296-BankSelectPC.JPG

CC0 with a value of 63, combined with CC32 with a value of 1 defines the Motif XS PRESET 2 bank. Then if these two messages are followed by a Program Change of 1… you have select the “ROUNDABOUT” Voice located at Preset 2: 001(A01)

The format is: MSB - LSB then the Prgm Change

Here are the MSB - LSB bank select values for the XS Banks:

Preset 1 = 063 - 000
Preset 2 = 063 - 001
Preset 3 = 063 - 002
Preset 4 = 063 - 003
Preset 5 = 063 - 004
Preset 6 = 063 - 005
Preset 7 = 063 - 006
Preset 8 = 063 - 007
User 1 = 063 - 008
User 2 = 063 - 009
User 3 = 063 - 010
Preset Drum = 063 - 032
User Drum = 063 - 040
User Smple = 063 - 050
Mix Voice = 063 - 060
GM Normal = 000 - 000
GM Drum = 127 - 000

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 08:28 AM
Kenrocks
Joined  11-18-2008

Thanks for taking the time and explaining the process in detail...I have to say though, that for editing MIDI files, Sonar really makes it a lot easier to do on the fly than Cubase.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 08:43 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Not sure what could be any easier than clicking on a MIDI track then opening the List Editor and entering your data or clicking Delete somewhere. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Cubase also offers you many other options as well, such as being able to use a script in Cubase allowing you to select Voices in your synth, so editing (adding data) is sometimes is not required. In any case, we each have our own opinions when it comes to a choice of a DAW, and having used all of them, I still feel that Cubase is the most intutive of the lot. As to which one program is better overall......well we won’t open that ‘can of worms’ again. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Anyway, maybe once you actually do a little editing in Cubase and become familiar with it, hopefully you will find it’s not so difficult to edit as it first might appear. Good luck with whatever software you use....................frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 09:41 AM
Kenrocks
Joined  11-18-2008

Where do I get the script that will work with Cubase AI for the voices?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 10:40 AM
frankE
Joined  12-23-2002

Scripts are at Motifmart (click here) . Look under Files/Software then scroll down to “Cubase”, download the script for your synth and put it in the correct directory. Previous “script” posts here in this conference provide advice on directories that work. For more information on scripts in AI see this very long thread and make sure you read all of it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= Cheerio............frank

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 11:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Script files are only really good for PRESET sounds as they become instantly out of date as soon as you load in any custom sounds. This is why working with the Motif XS Editor to control and document your sounds is probably going to be more of a flexible solution. When working with a Script file you will need to create a new one for each set of Voices you load into the USER banks of your keyboard.

With the Editor it can be instantly updated as it keeps track of not only the current MIX setup but your USER and custom Mixing Voices, as well. You use the BULK > DATA SYNC to import the names of the current Voice library that is in your Motif XS. It will store and allow you to access the Voices by name.

Some people get married to those script files and never discover that there might be another solution.  If you are one who has been using scripts for a long time and have found that it provides an easy method for you to select sounds, this is fine (don’t go changing)… but you should still run the STUDIO MANAGER: Motif XS Editor in the background (even if you don’t look at it… it will still update automatically) and when you save your Project, the Voice Library is automatically saved with the Project. And instead looking at “USER 3: 004” it will actually tell you want Voice that is. If you have customized a Preset Voice and stored in the MIXING VOICE location (63/60) the Motif XS Editor will not only remember you customized a Voice but it will be able to recall it down to every detail.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Problem upgrading cubase
Next Topic:

SteinbergUsers ››