mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Sonar Instrument Definition Download Problem"

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 06:06 AM
Kenrocks
Total Posts:  28
Joined  11-18-2008

I went to Motifactor.com to this page here and downloaded the Sonar Instrument Definition file to install on Sonar 5.2. for the Motif XS6.

[url=http://www.motifator.com/mart/files_sw.htm]http://www.motifator.com/mart/files_sw.htm [/url]

MotifXSALL_110607.ins show up on my desktop, but when I follow the intructions, per the pdf download, the file will not show up when I go to install it inside Sonar because Sonar see’s the file as a text file (.txt) and not as a (.ins) extension.

Is there a way to work around this?

Thanks

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 06:13 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

Re: Sonar Instrument Definition Download Problem

Ken, how do you know that Cakewalk sees it as a .txt? 

In reality, it IS a text file, but it should have a .ins extension at the end…

Tell us, step by step, what you’re doing to “install” it into Sonar.

BTW, which version of Sonar are you using?  Some of them will NOT let you import a .ins file.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 06:16 AM
Kenrocks
Joined  11-18-2008

Tony, Thanks...It is Sonar 5.2
Will this work?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 12:27 PM
Kenrocks
Joined  11-18-2008

Tony,

I followed the instructions per the pdf document on installing it to a tee.  I even printed out the instructions to make sure I was doing it correctly.

I when back home on my lunch break and tried again...I noticed that Sonar wants a .ins extension file to be loaded after I click on import.

The problem is in the window that opens up inside of Sonar, there is nothing showing up to load, no file appears in the window, its empty! But the .ins files are there.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2008 @ 06:10 AM
T4MH
Total Posts:  169
Joined  10-20-2008

I’m guessing you already know how to perform the Define Instruments process in Cakewalk/Sonar for each midi track.

Change the txt file to an ins file.
Open the text file ( .txt ) using notepad.  Then, [FILE] [SAVE AS] the file as an ins ( .ins ) file.  You’ll have to type in the .ins portion in the save as window.  Notepad “wants” to save as a txt file.  Actually, you could just right click the file on your desktop, select rename, and change the .txt to .ins.  Cakewalk will understand it either way.  Using notepad just lets you see all of the definitions if you want to look at them and you will have two icons on your desktop.  1) the first txt file preserved in case you screw up and 2) the new ins file for importing.  You can save these files anywhere on your computer you want to archive them.  Just point Cakewalk to them during the import process.

Also, being just a text file, if you modify a voice in your user bank and give it a new name, you can go to your ins file and also change the name there for that voice.  Cakewalk will find your new name when you import!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2008 @ 04:58 PM
Kenrocks
Joined  11-18-2008

THANKS for your help!

I changed the file ext. and I’m in business!

It worked! I now have Sonar set up with the Motif Definitions and things seem to be working very well right now!

Next will be to try and get the Motif networked with the Computer

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2008 @ 07:21 PM
T4MH
Total Posts:  169
Joined  10-20-2008

Great!  Glad it worked.

BTW, I have been using Cakewalk since the dos days.  I’ve got more old versions lying around than I care to count.  While I don’t have all of the versions, I have never seen a version that didn’t use a definition file since Windows 3.1.  Some of those older versions were fairly difficult to get it imported and many of them you had to write your own definition file.  I’m guessing that this is a standard for Cakewalk now, so don’t forget how to define your instruments!  The thing that I have trouble understanding is why the MOTIF keyboards are not already in Cakewalk’s default definition file when there are the same instruments/machines ( that are probably extinct ) that have been included for at least the last 15 years…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 10:49 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I have never seen a version that didn’t use a definition file since Windows 3.1

Don’t even try, then, to use Cakewalk Music Creator… Yeah, not the same as “SONAR,” but it is the exact same engine…

I wrote a PERL program to take a SysEx dump from my MOTIF and VL70m and create .ins files from them.  That way my Cakewalk definitions are always up-to-date.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 01:04 AM
estarriol
Total Posts:  2
Joined  01-08-2009

BTW guys I’ve created my own version of Motif XS .ins file with NOTE NAMES entered so that I could use drumkits with ease.

Somehow the file did not attach… you can get it here: [url=http://estarriol.ru/files/MotifRackXS_0.zip]http://estarriol.ru/files/MotifRackXS_0.zip [/url]

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: January 08, 2009 @ 01:15 PM
BradWeber
Total Posts:  14986
Joined  07-26-2002

Thanks for creating this file! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

I’ve attached the file to this post as well.

Regards,

Brad Weber /forums/images/icons/cool.gif alt=

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Setting up
Next Topic:

Studio Connections and Sonar setup ››