mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Using the Motif ES to load sounds into a Korg Wavestation"

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 02:57 AM
Bub
Total Posts:  0
Joined  02-19-2007

Hi, I’m trying to use the Motif ES to play a standard midi file.
I recently purchased a Korg Wavestation SR and need to reload the sound banks. I have downloaded this in a midi file format
When I look at the motif, I see the file and can load in song or pattern. It shows as ‘filename .MID’
However, the file will not play. It does seem to load and there is data in the song, but the sequencer will not start.

I have used the Motif to carry this kind of task before and it has done so successfully, but not on this occasion. I cannot use a pc as I have no midi conection.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as the Wavestation is useless at the moment!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 05:01 AM
meatballfulton
Total Posts:  3022
Joined  01-25-2005

Re: Using the Motif ES to load sounds into a Korg

Just a wild guess...if there is no note information in the SMF, the sequencer may not start. Maybe Bad Mister can confirm?

To test my guess, load the SMF but add a bar to some MIDI channel other than the one the Wavestation is listening to. Good luck.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 10:02 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

There may be no clock information in the data, which is why the sequencer may not seem to start. If the PLAY LED lights green, then the data may be transmitting.

I don’t know anything about the format of Korg system data, but just because the transport of the ES is not blinking in tempo does not mean that the data is not being read.

The question is does the PLAY light, light up at all?
If it does then just be patient.
Did Korg give you any idea how much time would be involved in the system load…

It can be quite a long time - it depends. For example, the update for the Motif-Rack XS takes about 2 hours and 35 minutes… via MIDI. Synthesizers were not so complicated back when the Wavestation roamed the earth so it may be less than that. But it is not at all unusual that the sequencer does not seem like it is moving

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 04:25 PM
Cowzar of Cunka
Total Posts:  344
Joined  10-10-2003

BADMISTER -I don’t know anything about the format of Korg system data, but just because the transport of the ES is not blinking in tempo does not mean that the data is not being read.

Badmister is on the ball here. Just because the ES transport PLAY button is not flashing, does not mean that the sysex information is not been sent.

I have a Korg Wavestation EX & the MOTIF ES, and I successfully sent a midi file of patch bank information to my Wavestation.

You don’t have to do anything special - load the midi file in and go to SONG mode. Check which channel that information has been loaded into.  In my case it went into Channel 1.

The key is the Wavestation must match the channel number of the ES channel the information is in. The MOTIF ES just sends the information, if the Wavestation is not listening on the correct channel, nothing will happen.

When I pressed the PLAY button on the MOTIF ES, I think the PLAY button blinked green once and that was it.... but the Wavestation continued to say on its lcd screen “Receiving SYSEX information”. (Or something like it.) The MOTIF ES light was not blinking. Its job was done.

To find out what channel the Wavestation is listening to, press the [MIDI] button on the Wavestation. Look for BASIC CHANNEL.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers
Brian

MOTIF ES - Sounds -

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Assignable output distortion
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››