mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "“backward” operating foot switch"

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 05:07 PM
jasonmitchell
Total Posts:  83
Joined  09-30-2006

I have a foot pedal (I think it’s a Fatar) that operates opposite of the way it should, so that it triggers the intended action not by pressing the pedal, but by raising it.  Apparently some have a switch that changes the polarity --- mine does not.  To those who are electronically savvy, please excuse what might actually be a laughable question, but can I take the pedal apart and reverse the wiring and solve the problem?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 12:30 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: “backward” operating foot switch

Alas, the answer is ‘maybe’ since it depends on the actual pedal’s switch construction.

A simpler route might be to de-solder the contacts on the jack plug and swap them around.

Again, this may not work - Patchcord posted up the reasoning for this some years back.

The simplest, and probably best solution is to accept that you need to buy either an FC4 or FC5 yamaha footpedal which are definitely going to work /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 06:08 AM
TonyPhillips
Total Posts:  844
Joined  09-16-2005

I prefer to make a Polarity Reversal plug… /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Sacrifice an instrument cable, chop one end off, and replace said end with a 1/4” FEMALE socket with the Tip/Sleeve connections reversed.  Then you never have to touch the pedal.

I’ve heard of, but never come across, a pedal that senses the voltage from the host, and changes its polarity to match.  Such a pedal cannot be “Reoriented.” Such a pedal won’t work well with an Autosensing jack! 

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 08:11 AM
Wastrel
Total Posts:  630
Joined  10-22-2004

If the pedal (as I suspect) is a momentary switch closure, then changing the plug tip and sleeve connections won’t change anything - you’re still opening or closing the circuit when you depress or release the pedal. If you’re lucky, the switch will have normally open and normally closed NO/NC contacts. If you switch from NO to NC you will reverse the logic of the switch. I have a keyboard (an Alesis) that automatically senses the switch state on power up and adjusts itself accordingly. If the pedal is opposite of what I want, all I have to do is power up the synth with the pedal depressed to reverse its operation.
I don’t recall if Yamaha supports this or not.

Bob

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 01:54 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Bob - in response to

If the pedal is opposite of what I want, all I have to do is power up the synth with the pedal depressed to reverse its operation.
I don’t recall if Yamaha supports this or not.

The answer as has been mooted from day one is, alas, no!
None of the current line of Yamaha Pro keyboards seem to have this auto-polarity sensing circuit.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ .sty file (Style file) to .mid format
Next Topic:

One solution for hand-wrist pain ››