mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "newbie needs XS7 midi and sequence help"

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 04:52 PM
zionstrat
Total Posts:  11
Joined  12-10-2008

Hello, I’m new to the Motif, but have plenty of audio background and would appreciate any and all help on a few areas that I haven’t been able to find in the book- I hope this is the right forum and look forward to your input!

1. I like the arepeggios that come with performances, and would like to be able play them real time, and then switch to a sequence so I can solo on other instruments- I’m learning how to get around performances and sequences, but haven’t figured out how to switch back and forth with out stopping the whole process.

2. I have a midi foot pedal and other devices that use midi cables, however I need to use USB for cubase and seems that I have to choose one or the other- Ideas on work arounds?

Much thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 05:32 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: newbie needs XS7 midi and sequence help

1. I like the arepeggios that come with performances, and would like to be able play them real time, and then switch to a sequence so I can solo on other instruments- I’m learning how to get around performances and sequences, but haven’t figured out how to switch back and forth with out stopping the whole process.

We are not entirely sure we understand exactly what it is you want to do from this description but perhaps this will help.

You can copy any PERFORMANCE to a Sequencer setup, so that you can play it (real time) in the same manner you do in PERFORMANCE mode.

A Performance is basically up to 4 Voices placed in four PARTS. You can copy the 4 PARTS of the PERFORMANCE to four PARTS of the SONG or PATTERN MIXING program (which has a total of 16 PARTS).

Press SONG (or PATTERN)
Call up an empty location
Press [MIXING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] COPY
Press [SF3] PERF
Select the PERFORMANCE you wish to copy into the current SONG (or PATTERN) and mark the attributes you wish to import.
For this example, target PARTS 1-4
Press [ENTER] to execute.

This will copy the PERFORMANCE into the current MIXING setup and assign all four PART to MIDI channel 1.
When you select Track [1] you will be able to play the Performance in exactly the same manner you did in PERFORMANCE mode.

You may need to set the Tempo, as the tempo is now dervied from the SONG or PATTERN.

Now you are free to select any VOICES you want to play over it with for PARTS 5 through 16… So you can have 12 other instruments at your immediate beck and call… all you need to do is press the Track button to transmit on that particular MIDI channel.

2. I have a midi foot pedal and other devices that use midi cables, however I need to use USB for cubase and seems that I have to choose one or the other- Ideas on work arounds?

Again we are not clear as to what “other devices” means but if you are using USB to connect your XS7 to your computer, then you will be happy to know that Cubase will see anything connected to the 5-pin MIDI IN jack on the back of the Motif XS7 as Port 3 ("Motif XS MIDI IN") and you will be able to echo back data from Cubase to any “other device” connected to the 5-pin MIDI OUT jack on Port 3 ("Motif XS MIDI OUT").

The MIDI jacks will allow you to send data from your MIDI Foot pedal to the Motif XS7 by echoing it from within Cubase.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 06:04 PM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

Wow Bad Mister- Great details and about the fastest response I’ve ever had on a forum! Big big thanks

Now that we’re in the ballpark, here’s a little more detail to see if I understand correctly-

2. Midi- I use a yamaha drum pad and ART foot pedal live and in the studio- So I may or may not have Cubase with me-

If I am understanding you correctly, with cubase the drum pad would be received by XS7 midiport, passed to cubase via USB, and routed back via USB midi to trigger the sounds- Makes sense-

Foot pedal could work the same way. So far I don’t have this working correctly- But makes sense

But I would use the same setup live and won’t have cubase with me- The midi inputs seemed to stop working when I set up cubase and swithced midi to USB, so I guess I would just switch back to midi over midi cables when I dont have the daw with me.

1. Performance/Pattern- Let me see if I can repeat what you told me-

I would copy a blank performance using a job to section A , track 1 of a pattern. Theoreticcly I can play anything durring section A and it will act just like a performance- Unfortuatley, this only seems to work one track at a time right now (ie I can only play piano, no drums), but I think you are telling me that assigning all to midi ch1 will fix this.

Then I can record full sections to B, C, etc.

So when I’m in section A, I only hear the arpegios that are triggered by what I am playing live, or nothing if I dont play anything and thinking I would make this a 1 bar section. But when I choose section B, the pre-recorded midi section will trigger the arpegios and I can solo over top. 

3. New question- I think I understand how to assign differernt voices to different midi channels in a sequence- But is there an easy way to do this with a performance? Thinking I want to record midi arpegios to cubase on different channels-

Also, so far I only can record the trigger midi event, not the full arpegio that follows. I saw a setting on the XS manager in cubase that seemed to let me record the full arpegio, but so far no luck-

I hope this makes sense and sorry for all the questions, but it’s incredible to find someone who knows what’s going on- Big, big, big thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 07:49 PM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

Wow- the performance into a patern works well, except I dont see how to trigger differnt arp patterns- The one pattern I jobbed over works freat, but I was building differnt arpegios for differnt sections of the songs and assigning them to the arp buttons in the performance so I can change up groove at random- Any way to do this in a pattern? Maybe this is what scenes are for?

One problem remains- When i assign the performance to A section it works fine- But as soon as I record the B sesction, the extra 3 tracks are erased and I end up with just track 1 for the A section- But all tracks are there in teh B section-
Having fun in Raleigh NC-
Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 07:58 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

1. Performance/Pattern- Let me see if I can repeat what you told me-

I would copy a blank performance using a job to section A , track 1 of a pattern. Theoreticcly I can play anything durring section A and it will act just like a performance- Unfortuatley, this only seems to work one track at a time right now (ie I can only play piano, no drums), but I think you are telling me that assigning all to midi ch1 will fix this.

Then I can record full sections to B, C, etc.

So when I’m in section A, I only hear the arpegios that are triggered by what I am playing live, or nothing if I dont play anything and thinking I would make this a 1 bar section. But when I choose section B, the pre-recorded midi section will trigger the arpegios and I can solo over top.

Er, no, not what I said. You would go to a blank SONG or PATTERN and you would COPY the PERFORMANCE setup to it. A Performance is a selection of instruments with arpeggios… It is like a rhythm section or a band of players. The SONG or PATTERN is like the multi-track recorder setup (your studio)… You bring the musicians to the studio.

Each musician (PART of the Performance) will occupy a PART. Each PART will occupy its own Track. Since in PERFORMANCE mode you are playing 4 PARTS at once, it follows that all four PARTS are on a single MIDI channel.

When you COPY a PERFORMANCE into your PATTERN MIXING setup - it will occpy the first four PARTS. And all four PARTS are assigned MIDI channel 1. Otherwise how would you play them all simultaneously.

The PARTS, 1-16, are normall assigned MIDI channels 1-16.
But what we have done by copy a PERFORMANCE into the MIXING setup is assign PARTS 1-4 to MIDI Channel 1. So that you can play all four simultaneously.

PARTS 5-16 are still set to receive on MIDI channels 5-16, respectively.

The PARTS remain consistent throughout all Sections A-P

3. New question- I think I understand how to assign differernt voices to different midi channels in a sequence- But is there an easy way to do this with a performance? Thinking I want to record midi arpegios to cubase on different channels-

It is far easier to record the arpeggios to the Motif XS sequencer - it is designed to do so. And it is highly recommended that this is how you proceed. Recording Performance mode with multiple arpeggios to an external sequencer cannot be appreciated until you really see what is going on… Direct Performance Record is very complex and is a new innovation found only in the Motif XS.

Once you fully understand exactly what is happening, attempting to record MIDI tracks from multiple arpeggios to an external sequencer is considered the deep end of the pool. And since it is so easy to do with the XS, you’d be very hard pressed to convince me of a reason to do it any other way.

Also, so far I only can record the trigger midi event, not the full arpegio that follows. I saw a setting on the XS manager in cubase that seemed to let me record the full arpegio, but so far no luck-

Exactly, my point. Until you fully understand exactly what is happening things like this will plague your attempts.

Trust us on this. From Performance mode - PRESS RECORD
Target a SONG or PATTERN and record you are PERFORMANCE. You can use PATTERN mode to assemble your musical Sections. You can then use the Pattern CHAIN function to map them out into a play order arrangement. And finally you can Convert the Chain to a linear SONG.

If you want to export this data to Cubase, Cubase can load a Motif XS SONG from within an ALL data file. So once you complete your recording in the MOTIF XS - if you would like to move the data over to Cubase, use the Cubase > FILE > IMPORT > Motif XS SONG function to open the Song data in a Cubase Project.

Just so you know… when you press the keys on the Motif XS that is what goes out via MIDI. Of course, you know this, it is just what happens with every MIDI keyboard on the planet. Obviously if you want the Output of the Arpeggiator to go out via MIDI you would turn the normal Trigger note function OFF and send the ARPEGGIO OUT function ON and select a MIDI Channel to Record it ON… But trust us, you then have to deal with clock, and once you sort that out, you have to deal with Local Control, and once you have sorted out, you have to deal with not echoing the arpeggio data back to the source -

Use Direct Performance Record and record to the XS sequencer. It is 100 times easier.

Wow- the performance into a patern works well, except I dont see how to trigger differnt arp patterns- The one pattern I jobbed over works freat, but I was building differnt arpegios for differnt sections of the songs and assigning them to the arp buttons in the performance so I can change up groove at random- Any way to do this in a pattern? Maybe this is what scenes are for?

If you are recording from PERFORMANCE mode then the [SF1] through [SF5] buttons are labeled with the different arps… this is the best way to record from a PERFORMANCE to the sequencer.

If you setup a PERFORMANCE in MIXING mode - this is not optimum for recording - because you can only record to 1 track at time when in the sequencer mode… That is part of the magic (and why we suggest) Direct Performance Record… it takes the 1 MIDI channel you are transmitting on and splits it among the 4 Tracks (no muss, no fuss)

Again trust us> If you want to record a PERFORMANCE use Direct Performance Record.

If you want to play a Performance real time and select other instruments… we already told you about how to accomplish this. COPY the Performance to a Mixing setup and select Track 1. But do NOT attempt to record like this…

The [SF] buttons will still allow you to select ARPEGGIOS if you store them to the SCENE buttons.

One problem remains- When i assign the performance to A section it works fine- But as soon as I record the B sesction, the extra 3 tracks are erased and I end up with just track 1 for the A section- But all tracks are there in teh B section-

Not possible. If you are using Direct Performance Record, you can target a different Section A-P for each recording… but quite naturally you must use the same Performance (you can’t call a new band for Bridge...) in other words the Performance is your musicians - they must stay consistent throughout the composition.  Do not, repeat DO NOT attempt to record a PERFORMANCE after you have transferred it to a MIXING setup…

We highly recommend the Motif XS DVDs as these will give you a good idea of how to work with Direct Performance Record (which is done from PERFORMANCE mode). 

You can go to [url=http://www.mpsn.com]http://www.mpsn.com [/url]
Scroll down and check out the Music Production PowerPack offer… register your product and get the DVDs and CD for the cost of shipping (basically) check it out…

See also the Behind the Manual area of the XS HOME PAGE for an article: “Learning about Performances & Direct Performance Record”.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 11:12 AM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

Thanks Bad Mister- Sounds like I’m trying to score for oboe and claranet before I know my scales and I need to go back and get he fundamentals right-

You’ve given me many areas to explore, I’ll go hunting for a day or two and report back in once I really understand all you have introduced-
Much appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2008 @ 07:14 AM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

I hate to keep failing with this synth, but I cant make the most basic aspect work and want to double check if I am doing something wrong- In summary, I need to be able to use the arpeggios from a performance live (with no sequencing) and seemlessly move into a sequence and back again.  Here’s where I am-

1. Following works fine to get performance into a patern- At this point I can play live and arpegios work fine:

Press SONG (or PATTERN)
Call up an empty location
Press [MIXING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F3] COPY
Press [SF3] PERF
Select the PERFORMANCE you wish to copy into the current SONG (or PATTERN) and mark the attributes you wish to import.
For this example, target PARTS 1-4
Press [ENTER] to execute.

2. The second part is to record a sequence- I set up and record into section B and everything seems to work fine- The performance acts as it should, the arpegios work and when I hit stop, it appears that I will have the sequenced aspect of what I am looking for.

However this second step is causign 2 problems..
1. The sequence may have recorded correctly (I’m not really sure) but all I seem to be hearing is the drum channel triggerign the piano voice. Or maybe it isnt workign at all, I just get a 2 note piano at tempo.

2. Once I have recorded, the performance no longer works...ie I can only play the drum voice, and the rest of the performance is gone.

I’ve tried this every way I can think of and seem to be stuck- Any help appreciated!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 12, 2008 @ 07:49 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’m sure you are missing this fundamental point. And until you get this point you will not have success.

Here it is (again): If you want to record a PERFORMANCE to the sequencer. Start in PERFORMANCE mode
Press [RECORD]
Select the target SONG or PATTERN
Record your playing… By targeting a SONG or PATTERN the results will be properly mapped to the appropriate MIDI channel for each when you go to the targeted SONG or PATTERN to play it back.

Do not, repeat (again) DO NOT attempt to COPY a Performance to a Mix and then try and record it while in SONG or PATTERN mode. That’s not possible.

One of the most innovative things about the Motif XS is the ability to record a Performance directly from PERFORMANCE mode - you are playing on a single MIDI channel, but what Direct Performance Record does (and no other keyboard on the planet does this) is send the data to four separate tracks, those PARTS that are under control of the arpeggio record the arpeggo OUT, those that are triggered real time are recorded as trigger notes. It then maps each PART to a separate MIDI channel and copies the Note Limits and parameters of each PART so that it plays back properly.

What you did in step 2, is NOT APPRECIATE just what an innovation Direct Performance Record is… and in NOT appreciating it you are seeing that it is no simple feat. A sequencer track can record either the normal trigger notes or it can record the output of the arpeggiator. It is an either or situation.

If you want to record a PERFORMANCE please spend some time with the article I referenced earlier in this thread, get the DVDs and try using Direct Performance Record (from PERFORMANCE mode) once you work with this and get comfortable you will begin to appreciate all it is doing… anything else is just a waste of time.

I tried to state as clearly as I could:
If you want to record a PERFORMANCE do it from PERFORMANCE mode and use Direct Performance record.

If you want to “play” the PERFORMANCE “live” and seamlesly move into a sequence then COPY the Performance.

(where did this trying to record from that mode come from - when did you decide to do that)… You can’t easily, as you found out. You are transmitting on a single Track and recording to a single track - and it is still true: A track can record either the trigger notes or the arpeggio output, not both. So you are defeated.

In order to play multiple PARTS you must do so on one MIDI channel. What Performance Record does is, after you record, it then splits the PARTS when it transfers them to the SONG/PATTERN MIXING setup, sends each to its appropriate MIDI channel so that playback makes sense. ANd reunites each PART with its arpeggio Output data or if a normal PART, with the trigger note data.

What you have done is record on MIDI channel 1 and are attempting to play back 4 PARTS of data on MIDI channel 1… not gonna happen… that’s the definition of chaos!!!

This is what Direct Performance Record takes care off.

Shown below is the Performance Record setup screen you can see how the Performance is targeting tracks 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the selected PATTERN. So this is how it is going to map the data. It is going to copy the Performance and map each PART to a separate track and assign each to a separate MIDI channel. All instantly…

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/430981-PerfRecord.JPG

Okay. Make sense?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 13, 2008 @ 06:59 PM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

OK, I’ve got something working- Not perfect and uses up 5 tracks, but here is what I did-
Recorded sequenced section from perfomance into a pattern. That used up tracts 1-4.

Then I copied the performance to 5-8 and it works to some degree-
When I choose the A section, I get the prerecorded section as I wanted. When i choose B, there is nothing recoded and I can play the performance from track 5-

But so far have had trouble getting the two to synch and some of the arpeggios arent showing up-

But is this the general direction you have been pointing all along?
Thanks!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 05:49 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

As we said in the very first response: We are not entirely sure what is you really want to accomplish.

And from this latest post we are not sure why copied 1-4 to 5-8, this is curious. But play around with it and come up with something you can use.

When you say you want to seamless move from the playing of the PERFORMANCE to playing a sequence - that is very vague - because it does not tell us if you want to play the same instruments or what… at this point, only you know what that means.

Here is something that may help:
When you are in PATTERN mode your Performance Voices will always occupy four PARTS. Whether those parts all play in response to your key presses is a function of how the MIDI channels are assigned. If they all are assigned to MIDI channel 1, when mapped to PART 1-4, then they will play like they did in PERFORMANCE mode. But by now you realize that in order for the sequencer to “play” them back, it requires that each Voice be in a separate PART on a separate MIDI channel, 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Additional fact… there are only (sic) four arpeggiators in the Motif XS (I can’t imagine I just said “only")… So if you are trying to duplicate the Performance setup in both 1-4 and 5-8, you may run out of arpeggiators that can be active.

For more help on this I believe you will have to explain what it is you want to do, a little more clearly. Don’t be afraid to use specifics.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 14, 2008 @ 02:03 PM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

Thanks for sticking with me Bad Mister- Much of the confusion comes from the fact that I am using the motif in studio and live and the needs are rather diverse and I’ve asked questions about different scenerios and I think they are merging together. Let’s go back to square one regarding the perfromance in tandem with pattern challange that I was trying to resolve in recent posts.

I play keyboards, guitar, and bass in a relatively large band and need the abilty to duplicate much of our repitore with a duet. So the Motif will carry all of the percussion and keyboards, and other sounds as needed.

So imagine a pop/rock/country standard- It is likely that I will start a song using a performance, playing keybaord parts mixing in arpeggios that handle drums/percussion, fill, and some bass (the other member in this duet will swtich between guitar and bass so I won’t always need bass, but this isnt really relevant).

But we also do a lot of solo work, so it is likely that after using the performace for a couple of verses and courses, I will need to repeat all of the performance parts using paterns or the sequencer as I will take my hands off the motif altogether to play guitar or bass. In other words, it needs to sound almost exactly like the performance parts as they sounded on the previous verses and courses, except the sequncer is now playing everything that I was triggering ‘live’ before.

After soloing for a while, I will need to manually take over the peromance again, and stop the sequnce, so I can beakdown the mix . Each song is likely to start and stop with off temp piano improvisation.

So my most recent expereiment at least gets me in the ball park- I can play the performance ‘live’ from track 5. And sequences from tracks 1-4

But it is rather disconcernign that I loose the perfroamnce mode options of changing arpeggios, ease of mixing etc and I would like to recover some of this flexibilty.

But the biggest problem I have with the current work around is synch to the beat and double triggering..in fact I haven’t been able to really make this work. Ie..

If I am playing the perefomance live, I am getting the beat from the drum arpegio. I would like to have an empty section A that has no sequence for ‘live’ performance, and when I choose B, the sequence starts on the next bar and takes over for me. It seems like the sequncer would want to start on the same beat as the current patterns, but so far they are almost always out of synch.

And because they are out of sync, I at least get flams, but most of the time it sounds like double triggering, so I’m really not sure that this is the best way to accomplish what I am after. When I think about it, I think I am really using 8 voices for 4 voices worth of sound...I think I’m getting 4 voices dedicated to the sequenced sections and another 4 voices dedicated to the ‘live’ aspect.

So now that I’ve explained exaclty what I’m doing, is there a better way to shift from performances to sequences and back to performace while keeping the beat?
Cheers
ZS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 07:51 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I’d have to really think about it… but it reminds of solution DJ’s came up with when they wanted to seamlessly transition between two records… they bought a second turntable.

Obviously the easiest solution would be to have a second keyboard or module setup to perform a separate function within your setup.

Not really being sure if you have enough in one keyboard to accomplish your goal (yikes). I’m sure it is clear to you what you want to do (no so much to me)… But you have a maximum of four arpeggios. So that is the ceiling you have to work under with a single Motif XS… If you want to perform a PERFORMANCE live, then switch to the sequencer, that should not be a problem - as when the sequencer is playing you do not need the arpeggios.

You can certainly still change arpeggio setups while using a PERFORMANCE copied to a MIXING setup… you simply have to be on the right screen.
[MIXING] > [EDIT] > Track Select [x] where ‘x’ is the Track transmitting to the arpeggiators > [F2] ARP MAIN… here you have access to the five [SF1]-[SF5] buttons that activate the different arpeggio combinations.

Perhaps, the easiest solution may be to add the Motif-Rack XS to your rig. Since you are duo, you might simply have to add more gear, if you do not want to get another player.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 08:21 AM
zionstrat
Joined  12-10-2008

Wow bad mister, that’s bad really news if I am understanding you correctly- It’s the second most important reason I bought a Motif (after sound quality)- But I dont see how a second Motif would help me out because the biggest problem I am running into is synch, not the number of arepiggiators.

On the DJ example, you fade one mix out while the other is comming up- They dont need to be in synch for long. But this needs to be seemles within a song and it’s hard for me to understand why the live arpegios and triggered sequence arent ‘quantising’ to the same beat.

Imagine the last pass thru a sequence when I am starting to take over the performace live. I need to start dobuling the last couple of phrases so I can be on time when the sequence turns off. But right now the live peroamance and the sequnce arent in synch- How could 2 motifs solve this problem?

Also I’ve been working on the start of the sequnce. I need it to start exactly on the beat and I have to get the arepgiator turned off at exactly the same time and requires more fingers than I have considerign I need to be playing the end of the phrase live. But again, if I figure out a ‘macro’ approach that let’s me make all the changes with1 button, I still have the issue with synch..ie the end of the performance arepggios and the starting sequence need to be triggered off the same clock.

I’m going back to the sales guy to see if they have ideas because this was one of the primary reasons I bought the Motif and they said that it would do it. And it seems likely that there are a lot of one man bands out there that would have already tried what I am talking about...it seems like an obvious application for anyone doing what I want to do.

But if it really doesnt work I may have to rethink the Motif in general. I know how to do what I want by recording backing tracks in a tradiational manor on a sequncer and I dont need the Motif for that. It was the arepeggios that seemed to make this the perfect platform, but if it cant do it them in tandom with a sequence, I’m not sure I need it and I certainly can’t justify a second Motif. I bought the Motif to simplify, not increase the grear we take out and I’ll probably return it and use a dedicated sequencer with my current rig if this really isn’t possible.

So far I havent branched out to find other forums, but thinking this would be a good next step...again it’s hard to imagine no one has tried this before. Can you suggest any online sites where I could get a few more eyes and ears thinking about my delima?

Much appreciated
ZS

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 08:34 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

On the DJ example, you fade one mix out while the other is comming up- They dont need to be in synch for long. But this needs to be seemles within a song and it’s hard for me to understand why the live arpegios and triggered sequence arent ‘quantising’ to the same beat.

Neither can we. There is only one clock so they have no choice. You don’t really give us any concrete specific information with which to help you. You have to realize that the arpeggios will start when you press a key. So there is a certain amount of skill involved - particularly if you are attempting to come in ON the BEAT. Unlike an arranger keyboard where no matter where in the beat you touch the key, the “style” falls into the beat, the arpeggios of the XS are very much real time.

If you miss the beat, then you will be off… you will be consistently off, but you will be off, because the arpeggios follow you - they have to reference the clock, and there is only one clock.

If you are 50 clock ticks late on the start of the arpeggio, you will be 50 clock ticks late an hour from now. So it does lock to the clock, but YOU are very much responsible for when it ‘starts’.

I am simply not clear on what you want to accomplish - I have no specifics - so I can only talk in generatlities. I think if you spend some time with the XS you will find your own best solution, based on your own needs. I can only tell you what is available.

If you do not need more than four arpeggios, then we are confident you will find your solution. We only point that out because you still have not given us a concrete example we can help you with.

If you want some help try and be a little more specific, because trying to follow the very general idea, is not really allowing us to grasp what it is you want to do… not that we have to grasp it, but in order to provide some kind of help, it would seem like we have to have more of a clue.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 16, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
Synthgeek
Total Posts:  668
Joined  11-18-2003

Not sure if I can help as I too am not clear on exactly the problem.  If you are using the sequencer and want to switch between playing the same parts live and letting the sequencer play it seems this can be done.  You will have to record the sequence data ahead of time in pattern mode.  If you did not know , the patterns have 16 sections from A-P.  You can trigger these section changes live and the changes can be quantized to a beat or to change at the end of the current measure.  You can set this up by pressing Seq Setup on the top panel and pressing F4 for other.  Now change the quantize value to 1(measure). If you are trying to trigger a separate pattern then it will not lock to tempo. 

You can easily mute the sequencer parts at a certain point and disengage mute on the track that is playing the parts when you are doing these parts live.  There are two types of mutes depending on if just in pattern sequencing mode or if you are in pattern mixing mode.  Mixing mode will mute the tone generator but if you press pattern to exit mixing mode it will mute the sequencer from playing on that track only so you can still play the parts live. 

You will still have the problem of sync because if you are playing live your performance may drift from the sequencer clock.  You can leave a track on for a timing reference during your playing so you can keep tempo with the clock like a hand clap.  You will be slaved to this and not be able to slow down the tempo without prerecording tempo changes and will not have the improvisation freedom regarding tempo changes. 

If you are starting and stopping the sequencer your playing can always still drift to another tempo and when you engage it again the Motif tempo may be ahead or behind what you where playing.  You simply must have a constant timing reference for it to go perfect.  Any tempo changes have to be pre-sequenced and rehearsed.  When the XS sequencer is involved it must be the bands master clock source so you all have to obey the Motifs tempo.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 28, 2008 @ 12:45 PM
Goodi
Total Posts:  97
Joined  08-19-2007

All I want is to connect my Motif XS 8 to my computer so I can use it in cubase /forums/images/icons/frown.gif alt=

Motif XS8, M-Audio 410, Windows XP, Cubase SX, and Cubase AI 4, I can use Midi from my XS to my M-Audio or USB from XS to computer.  They should have a Video just on setting this up I think.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ A Simple Problem ?
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››