mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "A Simple Problem ?"

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 07:11 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Total Posts:  327
Joined  05-31-2007

Ok guys I have an issue ( no not that one, I have cream for that !! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt= )

I was creating a piece of music on my XS6 ( Gotcha, as listed in MO’ SONGS ), using patterns. I had my drum track on track one, and had a nice 4 bar loop on a pattern for arguments sake lets say it was in part A. Then I wanted to stick a break in bar 3. Found a nice break I wanted and recorded that 1 bar into another part - Part B. Could I find how to cut and paste the one bar out of Part B and stick it into Bar 3 of Part A ????  Not for love nor money......so rather than tear whats left of my hair out, I thought I’d ask the experts to point me in the right direction.......

Mark.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 08:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: A Simple Problem ?

Here’s how to go about doing what you want to accomplish. First is to recognize that the Motif XS Sequencer is really a single sequencer with two interrelated modes: SONG mode which is linear, and PATTERN mode which is cycling Sections (you used the word Part, “Part A”, you meant Section A and Section B). We have to be precise because the word “PART” is used differently and we don’t want to confuse you.

Pattern Sections can be mapped out into a linear structure using the CHAIN function. Basically you can have Section A play for a set amount of time and then have Section B play, then retur to Section A.  Because a CHAIN is a list of instructions about what to play, when.

However, your example, is just about inserting a 1 bar break in the middle of a 4 bar PHRASE. So what you want to accomplish you just want to happen on the Drum Track. (That is if we are reading your post correctly).

You have a Drum Phrase, it is 4 measures in length, you have found a 1 measure break that you want to insert at measure 3… you don’t mention what is to happen with measure 4 but we assume you want it to remain as is… (correct?)

Here is the step by step to proceed:
You don’t mention what PATTERN number, or what Track you are working with so we will, for this example, use PATTERN 01 and SONG 01 and assume that SONG 01 is empty (although you can use any empty SONG for this routine)… and we will assume the drums are on track 1. (adjust for your own purposes)

When you are working in a PATTERN you can move data freely between Pattern mode and Song… and back again. You will find certain functions are better handled on a linear time plane than they can be in looping cycle… this is one such instance.

Here is what we will do:
1) Take the 4-measure drum phrase and paste it to Track 1, measure 1 of the blank Song
2) Take the 1-measure drum break phrase and paste it to Track 1, measure 3 of the same Song.
3) Bring the entire Phrase back into SECTION A, Track 1 overwriting the original 4 measure phrase.

From your PATTERN, select Section [A]
Press the Track Select [1] button to select the track with the 4-measure drum phrase
Press [F4] PATCH to view the Phrase number. Say it is Phrase # 001

Press [JOB]
Press [F4] PHRASE
Select JOB 07: Put Phrase to Song
Press [ENTER]
The currently selected Phrase will automatically be placed in the dialog box.
Target SONG 01 __ Track 01 ___ Measure 001
Press [ENTER] to execute.
Return to the PATTERN main screen

Next, Select SECTION [B]
Find the 1-measure Break Phrase and highlight it
Press [JOB]
This should return you to the “Put Phrase to Song” Job screen
By highlighting the 1-measure Phrase, this will automatically place its Phrase number in the dialog box…
Target SONG 01 __ Track 01 __ Measure 003

By targeting measure 003, this 1-measure Phrase will simply overwrite the data in the target destination for measure 003 only… measures 1, 2 and 4 will remain untouched.

Next, return to the main PATTERN screen
Press [JOB]
Press [F4] PHRASE to veiw all the Phrase jobs
Select JOB 06: Get Phrase from Song.
Press [ENTER]

Set the dialog box so that you are set to “GET” (import)
SONG 01 __ Track 01 __ Measures 001-005

You “get” 001 through 005 as that will include the 4 measure phrase. “001-002” is just one measure, “001-003” is two measures… so you must get through measure 005 to include the 4th measure.

Target the original 4-measure Phrase (001) or if you wish target any Phrase number you like… you can target a blank Phrase if you wish to keep the original.

This type of work with the two parts of the sequencer (and more) is covered in depth in the Motif XS Behind the Manual Tutorial:  “Drum Track Construction Tools”

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 08:54 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Joined  05-31-2007

As usual BM you are the man.....

That description, as they say, is right on the money. That’s exactly what I need to do. I did wonder whether it was me being dumb and it could be done in PATTERN mode, but as you say, it looks like I have to use a combination of PATTERN & SONG in order to do what I need. The manual’s description of a PHRASE was a little confusing. But you make it very clear as to what I need to do. I take it that a PHRASE can be on either a PATTERN or a SONG, and refers to the whole part of a TRACK ??

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 12:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The word “phrase” is used in the music sense. And in the same sense the word in used in common English…

In PATTERN Mode any recording you do to a TRACK within a Section is stored in a PHRASE. That Phrase is a self-contained entity. And it is designed so that it can be conveniently recalled on any other Track, in any other Section of the PATTERN. That is the reason I called your attention to the PATCH screen - because until you see how the XS deals with your recordings in PATTERN mode it can be a bit of a mystery. But as soon as you do see it, it becomes a very useful tool. The first recording you do is designated 001, and you can “PATCH” Phrase 001 to any track in any Section and that MIDI data will play… this is very cool.

Every recording you do in PATTERN mode is numbered 001 through 256. There can be 256 Phrases in a PATTERN. 16 Tracks times 16 Sections… every track can house one Phrase so 256 possible Phrases per PATTERN.

Multiple phrase put together become a musical composition (Song).. a Motif XS Song is a linear layout of musical Phrases. Because the song is a linear layout, you don’t see the separate phrases any more (as clearly) because the song is one complete linear item. But you can define any area as a ‘phrase’… that is just what you did when you used the “GET” PHRASE Job… at that point (since the XS does not have ears and cannot hear) you have to define the start and end point of what constitutes the musical Phrase (or idea).

In PATTERN mode the Motif XS “knows” the start and end points of the Phrase because in PATTERN mode you must define the PHRASE LENGTH prior to recording. It could not LOOP (cycle) without knowing the Phrase Length ahead of time.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 04:35 AM
marky_markuk ( Maxxuk )
Joined  05-31-2007

You, my friend, are better than good. That’s a whole trailer load of awesomeness you’ve got there. Your ability to explain things with crystal clarity is inspiring.

I am now at least 500% clear on how it all fits together now. I am deeply endebted to you...... ( however when I’ve read the behind the manual on effects, I’m sure I’ll be back /forums/images/icons/wink.gif alt= )

Mark.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Expand number of performances
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››