mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Need independent volume controls for 2 midi device"

Posted on: December 09, 2008 @ 01:16 PM
topbassplayer
Total Posts:  0
Joined  01-06-2004

I am trying to have separate volume controls for 2 midi devices going through a MIDI Solutions 2-input MIDI Merger coming out as 1-output. The output is going into my Yamaha Motif rack. When I turn down the volume on one device it affects the other, therefore I must have both volumes up in order to get sound from either. Does anyone know of a way I can control each midi volume device independently?

2 separate midi devices:
1. Roland midi converter for the my GK-1 bass guitar pickup
2. E-MU Xboard 49 key USB-MIDI Controller

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 09, 2008 @ 01:25 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: Need independent volume controls for 2 midi device

You posted in teh Motif Rack XS forum, yet you say you have a Motif Rack… before we get into specifics - it would help to know which one you do own.

Also when you say “When I turn down the volume on one device it affects the other” what devices are you talking about.

Also are you controlling the same sound in the Motif Rack (?) or is each controlling a separate sound.

For example, I assume the MIDI Converter (bass) is controlling at least 4 MIDI channels and the Keyboard is controlling 1? Or not...?

There are too many possibilities to guess. So if you will, clear those things up for us.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 30, 2008 @ 12:22 PM
topbassplayer
Joined  01-06-2004

I posted this question in the Motif Rack XS, because I did not receive a response in the Motif rack forum. I own a Motif rack.

When I turn down the volume on my Roland GK-3B Pickup device / Roland GI-20 Guitar Converter from my bass guitar it affects the volume on my E-MU Xboard 49 USB-MIDI Controller keyboard device, visa versa. Both devices are going into a MIDI Solutions Merger, from there into the Yamaha Motif Rack.

I am controlling the same sound in the Motif Rack. I would like to have the knowledge to control different sounds from each device after I figure this problem out first. I’m not sure how the MIDI channels are set or assigned. I hope this clarification helps somewhat. Thanks so much for responding.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2008 @ 09:27 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, I don’t know anything about the RolandGK-3B or GI-20 nor the EMU MIDI controller or the Merger… But it it seems that both devices are on the same MIDI channel… ( I think your solution will be found when you know what MIDI channels you are set to transmit on).

The Motif Rack, when in MULTI mode, can receive on as many as 16 separate MIDI channels. Each MIDI channel can be discreetly controlled as to its volume

You should run the MIDI signal into something that lets you diagnose the Channel situation for you… Without that data there can be no answer - if the merger is merging the MIDI information on to the same channel then Volume from either device will control the Motif Rack as if they were on one MIDI channel… Not what you want.

This is why I asked if the Roland pick up (sends on multiple MIDI channels...) That would make it a useful controller… typically guitar and bass MIDI controllers send each string on a separate MIDI channel.

So only you know what you are doing. I suggest you contact Roland, and MIDI Solutions and tell them what you are doing.

What you need to know about the Motif Rack is:
Each PART of the MULTI 1-16, defaults to channels 1-16, respectively. Each can be individually controlled by a Channel Volume message. So that side of things is easy.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 31, 2008 @ 10:10 AM
topbassplayer
Joined  01-06-2004

I feel I am on the right track now. This was a big help, clarifying that I might have both MIDI devices on the same MIDI channels. I need to use the Motif Rack MULTI mode for both devices. This makes sense now. I suppose even if I am using the MIDI merger for both devices I have to assign separate/specific MIDI channels to both. That’s why both devices controlled the volume simultaneously, they are probably on the same MIDI channel. This was a BIG help. I was like a mini MIDI crash course. So I will pull out the manuals and figure it out, if necessary I’ll call Roland tech support. Thanks so much for the MIDI insight!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Transpose voice more than +24 or -24
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››