mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "Modification: additional internal USB port"

Posted on: December 06, 2008 @ 12:44 AM
beschorn
Total Posts:  29
Joined  01-12-2006

Hi to all,
I want to show a small modification on my Motif ES, to have an additional USB port inside the Keyboard.
I have the problem, that my samples are larger than my smart media card (limited to 128Mb), so I have to use an USB stick, to load all samples. When I am on stage, I don’t like to have an external USB stick plugged in (on the other hand, I would forget my stick at home).

I looked for a cheap and simple solution, so I opened the Motif ES and found the USB pcb. There are two cables plugged in (one for the USB to host connector and one for the full USB port). I de-soldered the second connector and added a cable, which I soldered to a switch (4x on/off/on). So I am able to route the bundle of 2 signals, supply and ground to two different paths. One bundle I routed back to the original USB pcb and the other bundle I routed to an USB expansion cable, where I can plug in a USB stick, USB harddisk and so on.
It is important to have switch with one position where the supply line is disconnected, so the Motif thinks, there is a USB stick plugged out and it is ready to mount another USB device.
The modification can be done easily and with a few cheap components. It’s a mechanical solution, so anyone can do it. But you will do it on your own risk (you will loose any warranty).
Please find my attached pictures. If you also want to do this modification, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Bye Erich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2008 @ 12:56 AM
beschorn
Joined  01-12-2006

Re: Modification: additional internal USB port

Here some more picture,
Have fun,
Erich

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2008 @ 05:57 AM
kaanengin
Total Posts:  0
Joined  05-16-2007

Wow, I have an engineering degree, but I would never think of doing such a thing.

There is one thing I have to ask, when you plug two usb sticks, do they both work at the same time?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2008 @ 02:27 PM
beschorn
Joined  01-12-2006

No, you can not use two USB ports at the same time. But this is no problem. When you use the switch, the Motif rescan the USB bus and will find the other USB device automatically.
You can even load from one USB device, switch to the other USB device and store the internal datas on it. I use a 2GB internal USB stick and load my samples from an external harddisk.

Bye,
Erich

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Drum Sample - UDR .... no velocity!?
Next Topic:

Motif to ES conversion ››