mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "How to avoid invalid wave adressing"

Posted on: December 03, 2008 @ 01:44 AM
beschorn
Total Posts:  29
Joined  01-12-2006

Hello there,
I have a question about the dealing of the voices with samples.
When I have loaded samples into the memory and adressed this samples to voices, it is a problem when you remove later a sample out from the sample ram.
It seems, that the adressing is done by a accending “wave number”. So when I delete a sample out from the memory, the adressing between voice and waves is invalid, because each sample number will change up form the deleted sample (number). It’s like a shift register.
For example if I use a voice “MyPiano” adressed to 3 waves (like Steinway1, Steinway2, Steinway3) and I delete this waves out of the memory, the next samples in the Ram will be adressed instead of (for example myGuitar1, myHorn, myString). All user voices will become invalid.

What can I do

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2008 @ 08:04 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: How to avoid invalid wave adressing

I am not seeing the same problem that you are seeing. When a VOICE is loaded with user waveforms, the samples go to the lowest numbered empty Waveform locations.

If your piano, “MY PIANO” uses three waveforms and they load to 0001, 0002, and 0003… this is because you loaded the VOICE data first.

If Waveform locations 0001, 0002 and 0003 are already occupied, then when you load MY PIANO it will find the lowest numbered unoccupied locations in which to put the Piano’s Waveforms, 0004, 0005 and 0006. 

The VOICE parameters are dynamic when it comes to the target location during the loading operation. They seek and find the lowest numbered empty location and the VOICE data will then point to those locations.

you see this on the following screen:
Press [EDIT]
Press Track Select [1]-[8] to view ELEMENT 1-8 parameters
Press [F1] OSCILLATOR
On this screen the VOICE points to the ELEMENT to the WAVFORM location that this Voice’s waveform data is currently occupying (the actually number of the waveform location is not memorized in the data, only that it uses three waveforms - so when you load it will search for the 3 empty locations and this screen will show which one it used for each Element).

You say you have ‘deleted’ the waveforms. If you do so, then the Voice data will now point to those unoccupied locations. It would seem that if you are going to delete the Waveforms, then you would logically also overwrite the VOICE data as well… since it no longer is a PIANO… it is illogical to leave a VOICE in your USER bank “MY PIANO”, after you have Deleted its piano Waveforms.

So again, I don’t see this as a problem at all. If you DELETE the Waveforms for the piano, then load “myGuitar1” it will occupy the lowest numbered empty Waveform locations… and the VOICE data will point to them. Simply Load the VOICE data to one occupied by the now meaningless “MY PIANO” location.

If later you no longer want that Voice “myGuitar1” you can Delete its waveforms and then you are free to load a new Voice in that USER VOICE location…

The only issue with DELETING Waveforms is you must be sure that no other Voice is pointing to those same waveforms. I assume you realize that several different User Voices can point to the same Waveform data. By Deleting the Waveforms, you are saying that you no longer need those waveforms because you are also removing the VOICES that use them.

Samples once loaded do not change position, they do not close rank… there is no shifting of position. When you LOAD the data, and it needs 3 Waveform locations it will find 3 empty Waveform locations.

Again if your piano is 3 WAVEFORMS and you have already occupied 0001-0050 then the piano will load into Waveforms 0051, 0052 and 0053.

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/429746-Oscillator%20UserWav.JPG

Hope that helps.

One last thing, overwriting a Voice does not remove the waveforms… the only way to DELETE a waveform is to use the [INTEGRATED SAMPLING] > Waveform JOB “Delete”
Press [INTEGRATED SAMPLING]
Press [JOB]
Press [F2] WAVEFORM
Select Job 2: Delete

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ New XS8 user cannot install driver
Next Topic:

Short tutorial on GM files ››