mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "performance mode layering- someone please help!!!"

Posted on: December 02, 2008 @ 07:45 PM
bjoleniacz
Total Posts:  9
Joined  06-01-2008

Hi.  I have a used motif 8. 
I’m really hoping someone can answer this question. 
I really with I could just start from scratch when I am making a layer in performance mode.  I have to go in and edit the previous user’s performances every time I want to make a layer. I can change the instrument on voice 1 with no problem.  But then as soon as I add any other instruments, they get tons of weird effects thrown on them that i don’t know how to change.  lots of echo sounds, or sounding very muted, or the volume is unacceptably low, or the sound is totally different and messed up from its voice mode counterpart.  Then, sometimes, one of the sounds will play loud no matter what I do with the control sliders.... I am beyond frustrated at this point.  All I want to do is create some layers but my keyboard is working against me keeping me from my dreams!!!! someone please help!!!!!!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 03, 2008 @ 12:17 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: performance mode layering- someone please help!!!

Do you have a manual?

This stuff is all explained in there - if you don’t have one, it can be downloaded I think via [url=http://www.yamahasynth.com]http://www.yamahasynth.com. [/url]

Anyway, yes it is possible to intialise a performance so that you start from scratch.

But even so you will have to learn a few things and bear them in mind:

1 The motif has 3 global effects and 1 insert effect. One of the things which is messing you up is that voices in a performance won’t sound the same as in voice mode if they made use of an insert effect unless that insert is activated. You can set the insert for any of the 4 parts, but only 1 of them!! But you can make use of the 3rd global effect (VAR) to compensate on a second voice.

2 Since you have some strange sounds going on, it is likely that this VAR effect is setup and active on one or more parts - check your mix and its effects. You mention delay, this may actually be one of the other 3 global effects, set for delay. Edit the amount of send to that effect or edit the effect.

3 Volume is set in the mix and can then be adjusted via the sliders.

Lastly, the Motif isn’t working against you. BUT you need to get your head around how IT works so that you work with it. It can do everything you need - patience, you are on a fabulous learning curve.

Ooh, and another lastly /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt= once you have made your changes, STORE the performance to save its settings but then SAVE to smart media. The manual will list for you what is saved in which file type. Until you understand all of that, best to save as an ALL file.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2008 @ 01:19 PM
bjoleniacz
Joined  06-01-2008

so, can you give me a hint as to how to start a performance from scratch?  And I don’t understand that stuff about the Var and the global effects...I’ve been messing with the effects and nothing helps.  When I turn something in the effcts->VAR thing to Part 2, sometimes voice two will sound ok.  but then voice 3 won’t play at all.  And the volume sliders don’t help the mix- that’s my problem.  sometimes they just don’t do anything.  even when all four of them are at 0, voice 1 will play and the others will be silent, then when i slide up CS2 the quiet voice will come up to a barely audible level.  i basically don’t know what i’m doing and i’ve looked at the manual and it says “use the control sliders to control the volume mix.” if only that worked!!!!!!!!! please talk to me like an idiot at this stuff, i really don’t get it.  i don’t even know what “VAR” stands for.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 04, 2008 @ 03:55 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Its not your keyboard that is working against you…

Here is a step-by-step on how to create your own PERFORMANCE

Press [PERFORM] to enter Performance mode
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Select “ALL” to initialize the current Performance.
An initialize Performance is one that will have only the acoustic piano Power Grand voice assigned to PART 1.

So while it is called INIT PERFORMANCE - it actually starts you out with a simple playable piano Voice in PART 1. PARTS 2, 3 and 4 are empty. It would be cruel and unusual punishment to actually blank the Performance. You do want to finish sometime today.

Press [PERFORM] to return the main PERFORMANCE screen. You will now see it is named INIT PERFORM

Press [F3] VOICE
Here you can see the four potential PARTS. Power Grand in PART 1, and PARTs 2, 3 and 4 are blank

You did not say what you wanted to program so you’ll have to select the sounds yourself. But for this example, lets build an Electric Piano and String layer.

Press the [CATEGORY SEARCH] button
You can see on the front panel that the Category Search button is connected by front panel silk-screening to the top two rows of buttons… with the Categories listed underneath the buttons.
Press the button with “KEYBOARD” written under it to select the Keyboard category.

In the Keyboard Category you can find Electric Pianos… Clavinets, and Others.
Scroll down and select an electric piano that you like.
Press [ENTER] to select it.
This will return you to the [F3] VOICE screen

Move the cursor down to PART 2 (currently blank)
Press the [SF1] ADD INT button to Add a new Internal Voice PART. This will place the Power Grand in PART 2.

Again now we can change that to whatever we like.
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Press the Category button with [STRINGS] written under it
You will see that the String Category is sub-divided into Solo strings, Ensemble strings and Synth strings

Say we want an Ensemble string sound - we can skip down the list of strings by pressing the [SF2] ENSEM button.
Now scroll down from there and select a string sound you like.

Wel have now layered an Electric Piano and Ensemble Strings.

And we never had to hit the EDIT button. You can of course add more Voice by cursoring down and ADD another INTernal instrument.

You can even set Note Limits for each PART on the [F3] VOICE screen. Use the CS (Control Sliders) to set the VOLUME of the PARTS
CS1 will control the Electric piano
CS2 will control the String ensemble

Please note that moving the slider will not have any effect until you reach the current setting.

You can press [EDIT] to continue to edit the VOICE. ANd when you have everything as you like it, press [STORE] and select a location to store you new PERFORMANCE.

That should get you started. As to why your CS do not control a sound at all - you’d have to provide us details because from what you have posted so far its impossible to tell… we don’t even know what Voices are you are dealing with or what you have done.

BTW, VAR = Variation Effect.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 06, 2008 @ 10:13 PM
bjoleniacz
Joined  06-01-2008

Thanks- this is so helpful.  The sounds I have trouble with are distorted guitar voices.  For instance, the “crunchoid” patch is always very quiet whenever I add it to a layer, especially voice 3 or 4.  How can I fix this?

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 08, 2008 @ 12:15 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

The Motif classic (2001) only had the ability to bring one Voice into a PERFORMANCE or MIXING setup with its INSERTION EFFECTS from Voice mode. So if you want that Guitar Sound to have its Distortion you will have to select it as the PART that is recalling its Insertion Effects.

From PERFORMANCE
press [EDIT]
Press [COMMON] a/k/a the DrumKits/Favorites button
Press [F6] EFFECT
Press [SF1] CONNECT
Here you can select the PART that is recalling its Insertion Effect in the upper left area
Select the PART that contains the Guitar sound for the EFF PART --> VCE INS

“EFF PART > VCE INS” translates to the Voice Insertion Effects will be recalled the Part you select here.

One of the improvements in the Motif ES is that all four PARTS of a Performance can recall their Dual Insertion Effects from Voice mode. And of course, this has been continued in the Motif XS. 

http://files.keyfax.com/forums/user-files/430409-EffPart_VceInsPerf.JPG

Since we were talking about VAR (Variation Effect) you can move the cursor to highlight this processor and select an additional effect for your PERFORMANCE - you may want to set it up as an additional processor for one of your sounds.

[ Ignore ]