mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "rs7000"

Posted on: November 30, 2008 @ 10:59 AM
rs7kr
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-30-2008

Is there an easy way to get the xs rack to follow all available rs7000 commands seemlessly?  (as if the voices had been added to the rs7000 tone generator). The 16 parts match up perfectly so it should work perfectly. I know the rs7000 very well and I’ve used it with other tone generators, but this new xs rack is not entirely listening and it seems distracted by it’s own glory. The most basic commands are followed but anything beyond that is ignored (while the xs plays and names phrases - thats my job!). Is the xs rack too “advanced” for the rs7000? I really only want the xs voices anyway and I’d prefer to stay with the rs7000 midi effects for now. I think thats the main problem I’m having is the sequencer’s effect commands such as LFO, distortion, master effects etc are being ignored. I think it might have something to do with the new STORE function because maybe that makes the effects work differently between the machines, I don’t need the STORE function because I’m a MIDI guy and building sound from scratch is all the fun I get. I guess technically the rs7000 isn’t a sythn but then technically I don’t need a sythn. I’d prefer to leave the USB and firewire off the table until mastering but if we’ve got to play like bank tellers then ok.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2008 @ 12:02 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: rs7000

Sorry, I have a very difficult time following your post. What is it exactly that you want to control.

Like the RS7000 - each Voice in the Motif-Rack XS is selected by a Bank Select MSB / LSB and a Program Change.

The RS7000 sends mostly MIDI Control Change messages for things like
Filter Cutoff (cc074)
Filter Resonance (cc071)
AEG Attack (cc073)
AEG Release (cc072)
Reverb Send (cc091)
Chorus Send (cc093)
etc,

The Motif-Rack XS will respond to all of these.

The Bank Select (MSB/LSB) will not select the same Voices, the tone engines of the RS7000 and the Motif-Rack XS are entirely different…

So although both products may have a sound where MSB = 063 and LSB = 001, the Program Change 001 will likely call up an entirely different type of sound.

But with the RS7000 you can choose to use just the external device and turn the internal sound off, so you can easily substitute a Rack XS sound for the internal.

Not all knob functions will necessarily affect the Rack XS, but many will… you’ll have to experiment (which is half the fun, anyway).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2008 @ 01:45 PM
rs7kr
Joined  11-30-2008

For example: the rs7000 has various types of filters and I’ve got a few nice tricks with the HPF and BPF combined with string voices. I’d like to perform live the xs voice “2 steel strings” using the rs7000 filter HPF.

Another example: on the rs7k I tend to use a common v-dist effect and then just use the dry-vari knob to feed that effect into tracks where needed. I also tend to adjust the presence effect in v-dist as the ensemble evolves. I can see this can be done with XS alone but i’d prefer to just continue working through the rs7k instead.

(I’ll be using the xs rack as multi timbral with a voice assigned to each of the 16 parts. I’ll also continue to use the rs7 generator/sampler and just turn off voices that are assigned to the XS rack as you suggested).

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2008 @ 03:20 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

For example: the rs7000 has various types of filters and I’ve got a few nice tricks with the HPF and BPF combined with string voices. I’d like to perform live the xs voice “2 steel strings” using the rs7000 filter HPF.

The RS7000 (v1.22) filters can only be used to proces RS7000 Voices. It has no external input so they cannot process external signals. 

The Motif-Rack XS has its own filters. In fact the filters that were added to the RS7000 in version 1.22 are those that are found in the Motif-Rack XS native.

Both the RS7000 and the Motif-Rack XS have the following filter types available: LPF24D, LPF24A, LPF18, LPF18s, LPF12, LPF6, HPF24D, HPF12, BPF12D, BPFw, BPF6, BEF12, BEF6, Dual LPF, Dual HPF, Dual BPF, Dual BEF, and LPF12+BPF6

The one thing however is that to program Voices in the Motif-Rack XS to any in depth degree, you will need to do so via the Motif-Rack XS’s computer Editor (available free from [url=http://www.yamahasynth.com]http://www.yamahasynth.com [/url])

I have not connected the RS7000 to a Motif Rack XS but you must recognize what controller data is output from the RS7000 when you turn a knob… If it is a standard MIDI control change number - you may be able to assign it in the Motif Rack XS. But at no time are you going to be processing the Motif-Rack XS with the RS7000 filters… that simply is not available.

Another example: on the rs7k I tend to use a common v-dist effect and then just use the dry-vari knob to feed that effect into tracks where needed. I also tend to adjust the presence effect in v-dist as the ensemble evolves. I can see this can be done with XS alone but i’d prefer to just continue working through the rs7k instead.

Same goes here the RS7000 cannot process external audio signals… The Motif-Rack XS has its own effects (quite a bit more advanced than the RS7000) and it can process its own signal.

If I get a chance I’ll have to break out the RS7K and see what is possible.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 30, 2008 @ 10:04 PM
rs7kr
Joined  11-30-2008

yes, the rs7k can’t process the xs voices but I thought maybe the rs7k could control the xs filter a little. I still think it can actually. Its sort of odd that my bargin laptop can control a MIDI module but my top of the line sequencer can’t, although I understand why. I’d buy the whole XS synth but I don’t need velocity keys anyway and those things are too bulky. thanks for your help.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 01, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Bargin laptop??? I don’t understand…

The Motif-Rack XS (again) will respond to incoming control change data like filter, pan, volume, etc. It is just that the RS7000 does not send control change messages for every knob parameter that you see in the screen…

You can program almost anything… you simply have to know what you’re sending and what you have it assigned to control in the destination. The possibilities are far too many for me to list here… but your imagination will be your only limit…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 02, 2008 @ 11:23 AM
rs7kr
Joined  11-30-2008

It’s all working without a problem now. I don’t like computers because they are loud and visually distracting but, anyway, the XS editor combined with the rs7k seems to be capable of anything. (and I can just put the computer to sleep when not using it). Thanks for your help!

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Studio Manager: connection is not established
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››