mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "mLAN device not assigned"

Posted on: November 25, 2008 @ 06:34 PM
ezcheese1
Total Posts:  0
Joined  07-20-2008

i followed bad mister’s tutorial on mLAN setup for MAC.  i downloaded the al driver, tools for mLAN, the latest xs editor, and updated the firmware for both mLAN and the xs… i went through the step by step, and whenever i get to xs editor > file > setup, the mLAN device cannot be assigned.  incidentally, none of bad mister’s graphics quite represent what i see on remote on my screen.  specifically, there is not a “port 2” option.  the only options available are “ALL” “MOTIF XS” MOTIF XS MIDI IN” “MOTIF XS MIDI OUT”

i’ve read countless support articles and configured all sorts of nonsense schemes in in my OSX audio/midi set up.  mind you, my ultimate goal is to run this in Logic Pro.  I have been able to route both audio and midi to the mLAN port through Logic by connecting with the graphic patchbay.  I can also execute program changes this way and use the virtual keyboard in the xs editor. 

unfortunately, this is very limiting to my capabilities.  i can’t save my project settings for effects and patches unless i type the midi spec into logic this way… the problem in a nutshell, is that the xs editor will not sync.  it won’t sync in stand alone mode, in cubase, with any combination of ports selected either in the device editor or the OSX audio/midi setup.  i have been exceedingly polite to yamaha about this.  i have to say at this point that i am, beyond absolutely not being able to get this to work, upset by their support teams unsatisfactory solution to this.  furthermore, i am shocked that the tutorials on the knowledge base seem faulty and that the graphics (yes the ones for macintosh) don’t look like what i see on my own screen

in the year 2008, you’d think they’d have a dvd rom that would interface the internet and your computer and you’d be able to click a few yes and no boxes.  unfortunately, this is rather the single most jacked up software/hardware set up that i am aware of.  I’m an advanced music synthesis student, and i have used dozens of software programs and have 6 other hardware modules plugged in and working fine.  yet, it has taken me over a week now and it doesn’t work the way its supposed to at all.  i have been neglected by the yamaha support, and am offended that they sent me the same unsatisfactory response to this question twice.  they have not called as they promised day in and day out…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2008 @ 06:43 AM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Re: mLAN device not assigned

We are not sure if you are seeking help here or just want to vent about not being able to get it working. We would be very happy to help you here, but require the basic information to ensure that we don’t waste any more of your time.

As I’m sure you know with computers and particularly when seeking support on a computer related issue that version numbers and operating system information are critical. And that with version changes slight differences in screens and options available may occur.

Also providing precise details on the error messages can often help solve the problem. An error message (in Yellow) about not being able to connect can be because your Motif XS is not set to communicate via mLAN, or it can be that you are in a mode currently in which it is not possibleto synchronize the software/hardware .

If you can please give use the exact nature of that error message… that would be helpful.

We would be happy to help. Please provide the versions and operating system of your computer so we have enough to offer help.
for example…
Studio Manager 2.3.0
Motif XS Editor version 1.1.0
Motif XS version 1.10
Mac type and Operating System
AI Driver????

Very curious here because you say you have downloaded and installed the AI Driver, yet you mention the “Graphic Patchbay"… Hmmm… The AI Driver does not use the Graphic Patchbay… so we have a thing right there.

We suspect you have downloaded the mLAN 1.1.4 or the new 1.2.0 driver ... which is no problem, other than in trying to help you it would be extremely helpful to know which driver you did download… This also can impact what you see and what options are available.

The v1.2.0 driver (brand new) actually includes both the AI driver, and the mLAN driver (making things actually a lot easier)… Based on how many mLAN/Firewire devices you have in your particular setup, one is more appropriate to use than the other. Actually it is supposed to be seamless to the user.
_ If you have 1 external device to the computer use the AUTO CONNECTOR
_ If you have 2 or more external devices to the computer use the GRAPHIC PATCHBAY

Since you only mention an XS, you can use the AUTO CONNECTOR to automatically establish all connections between the XS and your computer. The AUTO CONNECTOR assumes you have one external mLAN device to the computer… and simply connects it.

For any more we really need to hear back from you… as we are getting into that area where you don’t necessarily have to go if you only have a single device. The Graphic Patchbay will only be useful to you if (and only if) you have more than 2 mLAN/firewire devices. You only have a computer and the XS so you should not have to worry about that at all.

Let us know, if you would like help here - if not, Customer Support will get back to you… they simply respond when your name comes up on the list… kept strictly by when you called in. Depending on how busy the board is, that can take some time. There are lots of musicians…
Let us know.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2008 @ 06:22 PM
ezcheese1
Joined  07-20-2008

i have a power mac g5 running OS 10.4.11

i have all the latest updates. i’ll attach my yamaha download folder.

i did try reinstalling the mLAN tools per the specific instruction in the folder.  If i use auto connector, the ports don’t even show up in my OS audio midi setup, midi port configuration for SM2, or the setup menu of the xs editor.

the only way i have ever gotten a midi (and audio) connection through mLAN was to use the graphic patchbay editor.  the problem being that, while the midi is connected, it will not fully sync.  specifically, the virtual keyboard sends note messages, but patch changes, routing, or effects do not interface the xs.

I have attached a picture of the xs editor setup menu showing the ports not properly set message.  you can also see there the mLAN device box underneath the midi ports (not like your graphic).  there are no alternative pull down options for that box, so it cannot be identified per your instructions.

i also attached the sync failed message.  notice that the connection works as i described above when i get this message, but no patch changes (ect). 

now, i would like to think that i could use SM2 and the xs editor in stand alone mode without having to bother with setting it up as a VST in cubase.  If i can use it as a VST in Logic Pro, I’m all ears.  Contrary to what I read in one of your other posts, yamaha support claims that I have to use it in stand alone for Logic.  I also read your post that said I could set the remote mode of the xs to Logic, which is total B.S. as far as i can tell.  do i have to set it up in cubase?  if i am not using cubase, might those settings interfere with auto connector?  if so, how would i dismantle the cubase settings?

despite my wish to use the editor in stand alone mode only, i have painstakingly followed your instructions to set up use in cubase, and this doesn’t improve the situation at all.  I am also upset that i was mislead to think that I could use the XS editor as a VST plug-in in Logic, which would have given my the ability to automate VCM effects without painstakingly assigning the all midi controllers in the environment window (if that is even possible).  honestly, i hate using the led screen interface bad enough that i hesitate to even program a multi that i like and store it.  so, I am left now with this extremely watered down version of what i’ve invested in.  the only saving grace is that the synth leads on this module are the very best ones I have on my entire rig.  please, help me figure out how to integrate it up to industry standards (hopefully the ones of KORG and access).  please admit me to the 9th gate of the kingdom of the xs motif…

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 26, 2008 @ 06:31 PM
ezcheese1
Joined  07-20-2008

i am re-attaching the file with graphics, as it doesn’t seem to have uploaded properly

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2008 @ 04:49 PM
ezcheese1
Joined  07-20-2008

okay, i figured this out… like a total dumbass, i downloaded the xs editor instead of the xs rack editor… i’m still not able to get the auto connection to work, though.  i still have to use the graphic patchbay, and sometimes i have to reboot the G5, or reconnect mLAN, or restart Logic… this seems to be an issue with VST technology, but this is a little bit more annoying than usual because i always have to guess which strategy, or which device to reset… anyone have any wisdom here? 

incidentally, this kind of problem doesn’t add character to my rig.  i get no personal satisfaction from being the only person in the universe who can make all this stuff work at the same time.  That aesthetic is reserved solely for high school athletes who wear letter jackets and are the only people on earth who can open their locker or the trunk of their car.  honestly, it would be so nice if stuff would just work all the time the way it’s supposed to.

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ 2 small problems with rack xs tools.
Next Topic:

What’s New! ››