mySoftware [Updates]

Once you create a user profile on Motifator and update with the appropriate information, the updates shown here will be specific to you.

newProducts [YOK]

rssFeeds [Syndicate]

forumforum

Old Motifator threads are available in the Archive.

Viewing topic "newbie needs help recording to Win XP"

Posted on: November 23, 2008 @ 08:37 PM
wookieXL
Total Posts:  0
Joined  11-23-2008

Help!  New to the forum and to the world of DAWs.  I have an XS8, and am trying to do two things.

1) Record through my sound card whatever I am playing - regardless of whether it is in Sequence mode or whether I am just playing.
2) Hear what I am playing when in Cubase AI.

I am using Win XP, have two different soundcards (one onboard, one Sound Blaster Live!  I’ve tried using Goldwave in addition to Cubase, and hear nothing with either.  I’ve used mlan, as well as the line in & microphone inputs for recording.

TIA, and let me know if I need to provide more info.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 24, 2008 @ 12:26 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

Re: newbie needs help recording to Win XP

Neither of the soundcards you mention are what could be described as ‘professional’ and this will show in capabilities and features, but most particularly in sound quality. It may be that to get the best out of your system you need to invest in a pro soundcard - these are not necessarily expensive but will enable you to do what you need to do at the level of quality you need.

In the meantime, do either of your soundcards have ASIO drivers? If so then you shoudl be able to get started in Cubase by selecting the relevant device’s ASIO driver in the Device setup pages.

Of course, even better news is at hand in that you have an XS8 which if memory serves comes with Mlan built in (the XS7 and XS6 owners can purchase it as an add on). This means you already have the ability to move audio digitally (and multiple tracks/parts) from the XS to the computer.
To use this ability you need to make sure the Mlan drivers are installed and that you connect your XS to the PC using a firewire cable. Even better news is that you can then use the A/D input to connect various other bits of kit - guitars, mics etc and stream those over to your PC via the mlan interface.

Please note that I don’t have mlan myself and cannot advise you of the nitty gritty in setting this up, but there are many users and experts out there who can. Cubase AI4 - the AI stands for Advanced Integration and it was first released to demonstrate the huge potential there is in linkig a powerful DAW with a device like a Motif XS via Mlan - so they are made for each other /forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

Hope this helps

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 27, 2008 @ 07:25 PM
wookieXL
Joined  11-23-2008

Wellie,

Thanks much for the response.  I did finally figure out how to simply record what I am playing, though I realize it is very limited.  Better yet was to simply use the headphone out jack (duh!) on the XS8 to hear what I am playing (no latency, amongst other things).

Yes, your memory correctly serves you; the XS8 does come with mlan.  I have gotten it to work for the most part, but in order to use the XS8 with the latest version of Cubase via mlan I did have to upgrade the firmware on the XS8 to 1.10. 

I don’t know how to backup all of the prebuilt “stuff” that comes with the factory settings, so I was dismayed when the upgrade wiped out all of that.  I did restore back to the factory settings, but now Cubase is whining about my XS8 not having the latest firmware version.

So I need to be able to get all of the settings backed up before upgrading (again) to firmware version 1.10.  There’s a TON more to learn, but first things first.

Thanks again for the response!

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2008 @ 12:31 AM
Wellie
Total Posts:  6215
Joined  05-09-2003

When you save an ALL file, all of the tdetails get saved, including any samples currently in RAM.

I guess you have a memory stick of sorts - if not then go and get one which will work with your XS (Check the manual for details of what you need to look for) Once you have a memory stick, ALL files can be saved to that. If you have a lot of sampled stuff in RAM that will add to the amount of time it takes to save and load an ALL file.

There is also probably a page in your XS manual which will detail what is saved with each file type.

Cheers

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 28, 2008 @ 05:43 PM
wookieXL
Joined  11-23-2008

I upgraded the firmware to 1.10, and for some reason all of the song and voice data were preserved - different from the first time I tried upgrading.  I did get the files backed up - I used the save all feature and saved everything to an .XOA file.  And I noticed the feature to load everything except the system data, so I should be good for future upgrade needs.

My latest frustration is in dealing withe exporting to an audio mixdown from within Cubase.  I know you said you don’t have the mlan, and that is how I am getting what I’m playing into Cubase, but from what I’ve read I have to ‘record’ through my sound card what I’ve inputted through mlan.  It sounds bloody stupid that I just can’t export through mlan what I’ve recorded using mlan.

But as you’ve said, I don’t at all have anything close to a professional sound card.  My one soud card seems to have an ASIO driver, and that seems to be what I’ll need to export a mixdown.  I’ll next be looking into a professional sound card.  If you have any suggestions I’d greatly appreciate hearing them.

Slowly but surely I’m getting to where I want to be!

Thanks again,

WookeXL

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: November 29, 2008 @ 12:47 PM
Bad_Mister
Total Posts:  36620
Joined  07-30-2002

Sorry, there have been many updates and version changes… mostly you will find this is a good thing… and there are more to come, as the XS is a very living and breathing phenomena…

The Motif XS Operating System version 1.1.0 was a different update from the IEEE1394 mLAN16E2 Firmware update v1.06. The Motif XS Operating System update required (as noted in the instructions) you to restore the Factory settings by executing a Factory Set: UTILITY > JOB > ENTER > YES

The IEEE1394 mLAN16E2 Firmware update simply addressed the firewire hardware inside the Motif XS. It had no need to wipe your internal memory in order to update the device - so no Factory reset was necessary. (In general, this is always in the instruction text that accompanies the update). --- Just so you know.

Also there is the mLAN MONITOR SETUP parameter which will let you monitor without latency in situations where you are recording to Cubase while monitoring tracks played back by Cubase.
For example, the settings: with PC (Direct Monitor) allows you to hear what you are sending to Cubase as audio live, while allow you to monitor playback of tracks already recorded in Cubase. This is not low latency monitoring it is no-latency monitoring - because you are listening direct.

There are three different settings for the mLAN MONITOR SETUP… selecting the correct one is critical to recording comfort.
[UTILITY] > [F2] I/O > mLAN MONITOR SETUP

Please see the link below for details that will hopefully give you an overview of where you should be and how to accomplish what you are asking about.

In general, if you use the mLAN/Firewire connection on your Motif XS - the XS becomes your soundcard. It delivers audio and MIDI to and from your computer. The XS is literally your soundcard. The audio will be heard from speakers connected to your Motif XS. (Typically computer speakers are insufficient for anything but gaming and “You’ve got mail.”

Connect a good set of studio monitors to your Motif XS or you can use headphones… but the XS is your soundcard!

In order to use AUDIO MIXDOWN in Cubase AI4 the following conditions must exist:
1) you must be sequencing in Cubase
2) you must record data to audio tracks. It is audio mixdown (after all). In other words, MIDI data must be first transferred to audio tracks by routing the audio output of the XS back to Cubase.

The Motif XS Editor VST - will be made available within the next month that will allow you accomplish AUDIO MIXDOWN in Cubase AI4.

Quick Setup Guide: Window XP mLAN/Firewire

When the Motif XS EDITOR VST becomes available, you will be able to setup an audio pathway… so that MIDI data recorded in Cubase AI4 can be routed to the tone generator of the Motif XS and you can setup a “return” pathway to Cubase so that the audio can processed, automated and mixdown inside of Cubase.

Currently only the top-of-the-line version, Cubase 4, has this built-in capability. The new VST3 version of the Editor will give you some of the same functionality found in Cubase 4. This will be very, very cool.

We will have a Power User Guide shortly after its release.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 10, 2008 @ 07:54 PM
wookieXL
Joined  11-23-2008

Thanks much for the lengthy response.  There’s a lot to glean and I certainly will be going over it.  Has anyone encountered Cubase opening all sorts of windows simply by playing different keys on their motif?  Miy version (Cubase 4 AI) is exhibiting this behavior, and it’s enough to make me look for another software package…

Thanks again for the response, Bad_Mister.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 10:32 AM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

Has anyone encountered Cubase opening all sorts of windows simply by playing different keys on their motif? Miy version (Cubase 4 AI) is exhibiting this behavior, and it’s enough to make me look for another software package…

Don’t look for another software package… all you need to do is set this one up properly.

Yes, this can happen - and it will make sense to you once you hear about it- when REMOTE CONTROL commands are routed on the wrong port chaos will ensue.

When you are in REMOTE mode (you can use your front panel of the XS to start/stop/ arm tracks, mute, solo, etc., etc., etc your favorite DAW)… Basically standard MIDI commands are used to access different functions in the software. So the Remote protocol is simply a reassignment of standard MIDI items - like Note-on Events for switches, Knobs and sliders for continuous items, etc. Normally an entirely separate Port is used to communicate REMOTE Commands… However, if you mistakenly route those commands on the wrong port (which is the situation you have), chaos ensues!!!

So when you have the Port assignment messed up you are likely to get Key Presses opening windows and worse!!!

Double check your MIDI PORT SETUP. Here’s what to do:

Go to Devices > Device Setup… > MIDI > MIDI Port Setup
In the column on the far right of the screen “In ALL INPUTS” you only want the item that is your musical MIDI controller marked in this column. All others should be blank. If you are only using the Motif XS8 as an input device then only its PORT should be marked. It will be PORT 1 and labled “Motif XS” or “Yamaha Motif XS8-1”

If you have properly installed the Yamaha Extensions for Steinberg DAW 1.4.0” Cubase AI4 will identify your Motif Ports by name.

If you have another set of keys (for example, you have another keyboard controller plugged into the MIDI IN jack of the back panel of you XS)… it will appear as Port 3 or “Motif XS MIDI IN” or “Yamaha Motif XS8-3”

You might want to place a mark next to it. But under no circumstances do you want to have a mark next to PORT 2 - “Motif XS REMOTE” - Port 2 is reserved for REMOTE Control commands only. You do not want the Remote commands mixed in with your regular MIDI performance data. This would be wrong.

Also on the same Device Setup page, move down the REMOTE Folder.
Here you want to ADD (+) the “Yamaha Motif XS” as a Remove Device and you want to set PORT 2 “Motif XS REMOTE” or “Yamaha Motif XS8-2” as both the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT Ports.

If this is setup incorrectly you will have all kinds of chaos - as you are seeing. If, for example, another Port was selected here, then normal performance gestures would start opening windows, detuning tracks and ultimately may cause your computer to freak out… too much information.

Hope that helps.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 11, 2008 @ 08:47 PM
wookieXL
Joined  11-23-2008

Bad_Mister,

Thank You!  Yup - serious bad juju going on with the setup.  Two things were killing me:

1) I had the Mackie Control connected
2) The Motif XS Remote was active

Once I deactivated both all was much better.  I do have to admit that there are frustration levels with using Cubase.  BUT, as I learn more, and now that I have corrected some serious setup problems that frustration is lessening.

Thanks again.

[ Ignore ]  

Posted on: December 15, 2008 @ 02:12 PM
Bad_Mister
Joined  07-30-2002

I felt the same way when I first got behind the wheel of the Ferrari, but the more I drive it, the more I realize that it is a high performance vehicle and worth the trouble!!!

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif alt=

...kiddin’

[ Ignore ]  

Previous Topic:

‹‹ Synchronise tracks from Motif onto AW16G
Next Topic:

Music Production Software and the MO8 ››